PDA

View Full Version : Interstate bike purchase - Escrow

Jazdiver
02-11-2010, 08:18 AM
Howdy all, I have located the exact bike and colour that I am after with the mods that I probably would of carried out anyway. Prob is the bike is in storage and the owner interstate for work. Seller wants to carry out transaction using Escrow as sanctioned by Ebay. Has anyone done this before? Is it safe and if the bike is not as described, how long does it take to get my money back? Thanks.

crazymofo
02-11-2010, 08:22 AM
lol sounds like a scam to me

who doesnt have paypal nowadays? also paypal would only cover you up to 1500.00 anyways.

cheers.joe.

Chase
02-11-2010, 08:55 AM
Gotta go with mofo here...sounds dodgy. If the owner is interstate for work they have to have a mate or relo at home that can take you to the bike and collect the funds.

Shadowzone
02-11-2010, 08:59 AM
Anything mentioning escrow in Oz is a scam mate. Escrow is the US term used to describe "Trust Account" style transactions.

When purchasing a house in the US you pay the money to an Escrow Co. who then upon settlement and transferring of the deeds of title for the property pay the money to the vendor or their bank etc;

There are no such companies here in Oz.

Jazdiver
02-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks guys. Sounded a bit too good to be true. Bike is supposed to be sitting 5mins up the road from me, yet the last week of asking to inspect the bike has been met with excuse after excuse. Ta all.

Hagarr
02-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Escrow is normally used in transactions were the handover of funds is linked to a caveat or special conditions of sale.

In layman terms its generally placed in to a lawyer or similar trust account until the specified requirements are met once the client is happy then the funds are released.

Pretty normal and I wouldn't be concerned if the trust account was Kocha!

Hagarr
02-11-2010, 12:14 PM
quote:Pretty normal and I wouldn't be concerned if the trust account was Kocha!

Kosher????

ralph
02-11-2010, 01:21 PM
SCAM

bluemk1
03-11-2010, 03:27 PM
link to ebay ad?
pretty easy to see from that if its real or not.
how long is he interstate for?
jsut wait till he gets back.