PDA

View Full Version : Any of you lot been through Interferon treatment?

sen
02-11-2010, 12:07 AM
Does it suck?

I start on monday, 12 months high dose.

The doctors never give you a straight answer about anything, but I know you lot say shit how it is.

No clue if i'm going to cruise through this or want to off myself from the side effects.

Shadowzone
02-11-2010, 08:16 AM
Haven't had it myself but heard a doco on JJJ radio a couple of yrs ago and they were saying it's the ducks nuts mate. Not so sure about sides because they varied from interviewee to interviewee.

Best of luck with it mate, I'm sure you'll cope.

el sammo
02-11-2010, 01:09 PM
what is it?

sen
02-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Shadow: Ta, i've read up on it plenty, and spoken to 1 person who had it, but she seemed to cop it REAL hard (depression to the point of suicidal, fatigue so bad she couldn't get out of bed, etc). See how I go.

El Sammo: It's a treatment for cancer. You get injections every day for a month at hospital, then for 11 months you do it yourself every 2 days with a pen-type needle.

Shadowzone
02-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Here's the bad sides mate:

http://www.interferon.ws/

Doesn't look pretty. Talk to your GP regularly while on it. Let them know if its getting real bad so they can put you on the happy pills (anti depressants/psychotics) if needed.

Large
02-11-2010, 01:24 PM
quote:Sudden death associated with straining at stool

sounds nasty

el sammo
02-11-2010, 02:31 PM
full on hey

rock hard
03-11-2010, 08:18 AM
Hang in there SEN good luck with the treatment..the ASF is GOOD Medicine!!

jakam04
03-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Good luck Sen with your treatment. I went through treatment for cancer over Xmas last year. Not as full on as your having by the sound of it.

Keep an eye out for the light at the end of the tunnel and try maintain a possitive attitude.

Jarrod

sen
03-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Cheers guys, I reckon I should be right, i've been through a tonne of shit in the last 3 months already so this is just more of the same, just some of the side effects listed have me a bit nervous.

Worst part about it all is not being able to ride. Being stuck at home is overrated.

Shadowzone
03-11-2010, 07:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by sen

Cheers guys, I reckon I should be right, i've been through a tonne of shit in the last 3 months already so this is just more of the same, just some of the side effects listed have me a bit nervous.

Worst part about it all is not being able to ride. Being stuck at home is overrated.

I lost the plot and wound up depressed and near psychotic after 6weeks being laid up following an op 2yrs ago. Find something you can do even if it's going down to the local gym for an hour a day (around 9 - 10am the yummy mummys are in) just to relieve the boredom and get out of the house otherwise you'll go bonkers mate.

LKC73
03-11-2010, 08:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by sen

Dude, sorry to hear about this. Duff told me you had some issues but didnt say how intense. Ya need anything mate, holla at me, even if you just want to hang out in my garage while I work on my bikes.

sen
03-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Cheers mate, might take you up on that sometime. Going nuts stuck in this apartment :P

rod185651
03-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Heya Sen, good luck with the treatment, I'm going to PM you my mobile number. If you need to chat or get out around bikes maybe we can organise a few lads to catch up for a beer or two at someone's garage.

Shadowzone
03-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Fuck it Sen let's build us one of these each.

http://yahoo.carsales.com.au/news/2010/worlds-fastest-mobility-scooter-22382/

Should put a smile on ya face...

KATO ZX7
03-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Best of luck Sen, just be wary of the 'happy pills', some of the stuff they'l give you isnt that much fun...

One drug they gave my dad while he was undergoing treatment was otherwise known as 'Hillbilly Heroin', "if thats what its all about" said my dad " i dont see where all the fun is", it tripped him out real bad, even made him sicker.
Keep ontop of your health and stay fit, sounds like you got a battle ahead..

holyman_999
03-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Good luck bloke.

Try and stay positive.

ASF should keep you more than entertained!

jakam04
03-11-2010, 10:34 PM
If they give you anti-nausia meds. Take them as stated. Otherwise if you wait till you start to feel crook it's already too late.

Jarrod

sen
03-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Cheers for the comments guys.

quote:Originally posted by Shadowzone

Fuck it Sen let's build us one of these each.

http://yahoo.carsales.com.au/news/2010/worlds-fastest-mobility-scooter-22382/

Should put a smile on ya face...

That looks awesome. I've been eyeing up those Honda Zoomers, can mod them up pretty awesome. Tried sitting on one and was ok with my leg.

quote:Originally posted by KATO ZX7

Best of luck Sen, just be wary of the 'happy pills', some of the stuff they'l give you isnt that much fun...

One drug they gave my dad while he was undergoing treatment was otherwise known as 'Hillbilly Heroin', "if thats what its all about" said my dad " i dont see where all the fun is", it tripped him out real bad, even made him sicker.
Keep ontop of your health and stay fit, sounds like you got a battle ahead..

Yeah i went through 2 diff anti-depressants so far as they try find a stable one to stay on during Interferon. The first one really messed with me. Wasn't fun. The one i'm on now just makes me feel semi-tipsy most of the time, light headed and a bit "out of it". Better than the alternative.

uncle pervy
02-12-2010, 06:09 AM
been away , but im back now.
hey sen, you have nothing to worry about. i've been thru the interferon treatment (twice, second time with ribovirin)and its a cakewalk. all i felt was the occasional tiredness and mild nausea, but you get that anyway with hep c. worst part was being told i had type G and it is resistant to treatment. so im stuck with it. good luck with the treatment, hope it works for ya

sen
02-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Thanks mate.

I had some of the treatment, then they found out i'm allergic to it (though a bit late). My blood pressure went wild, i'd randomly pass out unconscious while walking up stairs, and I had all sorts of weird shit happen like delusional fevers where i'd be talking to the wall and shit. It'd be funny if it wasn't so hellish. Went through about a week of living hell, and they called it off.

I'm now just recovering from all that (it stayed in my system for 2 more weeks after stopping treatment, so that was a "fun" few weeks!), and getting back to normal now.

xa-mont
02-12-2010, 10:03 AM
WOW... thats horrible mate.

Good to hear you are getting well. Is there anything else they are able to do considering your allergy?

sen
02-12-2010, 10:56 AM
The allergy itself doesn't effect other treatment, but because i've had Interferon i'm no longer eligible for other trials. They have all these rules about it.

So now I just wait, and see how long I live (50/50 chance of 10yr survival was the last stat I heard from them).

xa-mont
02-12-2010, 11:02 AM
fuck me... that sucks a lot mate!

I guess all you can do then is make it all as good as you can :D

sen
02-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Pretty much :)

Buying myself a new bike early next year so I can at least enjoy myself, and moving back up the mountains so i've got nice rides at my doorstep.

xa-mont
02-12-2010, 11:45 AM
awesome.

Sounds like fun. What are ya gonna buy?

ralph
02-12-2010, 12:36 PM
My old man was given 10 years max
....22 years ago
He still rings me up and accuses me of loosing his tools
When he visits I have to hide the welder

sen
02-12-2010, 03:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by xa-mont

awesome.

Sounds like fun. What are ya gonna buy?

Probably a 'busa. It's what got me into bikes, dreaming of one of them. Either a new one, or an old one + a bunch of mods.

quote:Originally posted by ralph

My old man was given 10 years max
....22 years ago
He still rings me up and accuses me of loosing his tools
When he visits I have to hide the welder

That's awesome :)

MTBEERWAH
02-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Sorry for what your going through mate, a close friend of my family was given 2yrs back in 1981, you guessed it mate, she's still here. Stay positve.

uncle pervy
02-12-2010, 05:31 PM
i wouldnt worry too much about the quacks saying you aint eligible for anymore trials. they told me the same thing, then they said they would try the interferon and ribovirin. bet ya dollars to donuts in a couple of years they say they'll try something else. cunts got no idea and want to use me as a guinea pig. try apricot kernals, they are high in some vitamin that has shown to be successful in cancer treatment, vitamin b 12 i think (but im working from memory here). i know you cant buy them in health shops here in perth but you can get them online, from a supplier here in perth. how fucking stupid is that.