PDA

View Full Version : Accel coils yes no

suacycle
27-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Hey fella's,I have the chance to buy a accel coil kit of egay for $80us,i have a dyna ignition on my 89gsxr 1100 the kit number is 140404 for cdi ignition,has anyone done this before or had any probs,cheers steve. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280578202476&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

27-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Nothing wrong with the Accel coil if it has the right primary resistance.

For your GSX-r1100, you'll need bout 2 to 2.2 ohms.

Dyna green coils are another good option.

Chase
28-10-2010, 12:41 PM
I run Dyna green coils on my 1100 and you can notice the difference, but bit more expensive than what ur lookin at, but the Accel coils may do the same.

If you're changing the coils it's a good idea to get HT leads to carry the additional spark and iridium plugs will help getting the spark out.

28-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Iridium plugs show no difference on the dyno, only at the cash register.

Good call on replacing the leads, Chase. Buy Bosch plug leads at your local Superthief. Second choice is Eagle. Avoid Top Gun leads as though they were an Aids-ridden hooker.

suacycle
29-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Yeah fella's didnt take those coils the primary resistance was 0.7 ohm probably fry my dyna ignition,thanks for the insight boys,cheers.

jmw76
29-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Does a change of ignition coil from the standard ones make that much difference?
I am running standard ignition system on an over bored/modified J series 1100 engine.
I have never really had any problems with the standard system.
Does not appear to miss or break up at high revs.

Am I missing the opportunity of some extra ponnies here?

Does anyone have some real life results from ignition upgrades (not just timing changes)?

Peter.

29-10-2010, 04:02 PM
What I said above about the Iridium plugs needs extra info. Where Iridium plugs do show an advantage is in longevity. If your plugs are a prick to change (EG: ZX10 or similar that needs the motor removing), the longer life of the Iridiums can save you dollars. Just don't fit them if you're expecting a big jump in horsepower.

The only time a change of coils will show an improvement is when the standard coils (or the permanently attached plug leads) are producing a sub-standard output. Coils do wear out and leads work harden and the insulation can crack. If they're over 20 years old, a new set of coils and leads will normally make your bike run better. One major advantage of aftermarket coils is the ability to replace the plug leads on a regular basis.

I've never seen a bike lose horsepower when fitted with new coils and leads, but I've seen quite a few make more horsepower..

Also, steer well-clear of Champion spark plugs in street or petrol-powered race bikes. Have had more of them fail than every other brand combined. Personally, I use NGK where ever possible. We use Champions in one of the fuel Harleys but they're an American-made plug and much higher quality than their street plugs.

jmw76
29-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks

I only use NGK in the GSXR engine.
Never had a problem with them.

Have used Champion in cars on various occassions, and I agree, with very mixed results.

Sounds like with a system thats knocking out reasonable power, best not to fiddle with it for no good reason. I will stay with my standard system for the time being I think.

Cheers

80s freak
29-10-2010, 05:44 PM
I run a Dyna-s set to standard timing, Dyna green coils, Taylor leads with standard NGK D8ea plugs in my GSX11 daily ride. I noticed better throttle response, better fuel economy and had to wind the idle down a bit. It maybe has a bit more horsepower but the motor is getting tired now anyway. I'd highly recommend the upgrade.

Chase
31-10-2010, 09:51 AM
When I dumped the standard air box and exhaust opting for K&N pods I had a flat spot when opening the throttle around 4k even after getting it dyno'd. The change to Dyna coils, HT leads, and iridium plugs cleaned up the lag.

A stronger and more consistant spark provides a better bang. I guess these things are case by case but to my mind if you're producing a stronger spark you need the resources capable of moving that spark without creating unnecessary resistance - like HT leads and iridium (or quality) plugs..

31-10-2010, 02:49 PM
I know that some people swear by iridium plugs and have had good results when fitting them in conjunction with other ignition upgrades.

From personal experience, I have never seen a change to iridium plugs make enough of a measurable horsepower difference to warrant the extra dollars. I've also seen a high ratio of iridium plugs fail out of the box.

NGK fine wire plugs will make an improvement in certain cases at a lower price and a shorter life expectancy.

In the majority of cases, new plugs will make an improvement but not the huge difference that advertising would have you believe.

Please do not spend up big on iridium plugs and expect a magical horsepower gain. It ain't gonna happen.