PDA

View Full Version : swingarm linkage redesign

Deano
24-10-2010, 09:11 PM
howdy peeps.

want to put zx9 shock in the gsxr1100 frame. the bolt diameters and all mounting points are a perfect match but cause the zx9 shock is longer it would lift the rearride height quite a lot. this i guess could be fixed by adjustable dog bones but the biggest problem is theat the shock will not clear the lower mount with the shock actually hitting the linkage stopping the bolts holes lining up and meaning i cant actually fit the stock.

the main reason i want to use this shock is because of the resivoir as it points straight out to the back and then will not fowl on the undertray. i have tried to fit new gsxr shocks but the piggy back causes a huge problem.

the 1100 frames have a cast top shock mount and the 750 a bolt on so no fancy top shock mount can be fabbed to fix the problem.

what i want to do is one of 2 things.

first is make a new linkage to accomodate the longer shock
second is to pull the shock apart and shorten it.

if i was to make a new linkage then i would not want to adjust the ride height and handeling of the bike. so if the new linkage had a hole offset by the 20mm odd that the shock is longer and kept the standard dog bones and the like would the handeling of the bike change.

any ideas?

Redmohawk
24-10-2010, 09:19 PM
I'd make up a cardboard cutout version of swing arm dog bones and linkage all fitted together with some press studs or drawing pins so it geomotry is the same as on your bike. Then test out your different shock lengths , looking for issues with the different lengths. Like will the longer shock make the lower mount holes an issue for the amount of movement induced in the shock etc. Sorry no idea on shortening rear shocks like that mate, cant help you there.

crazymofo
25-10-2010, 06:09 AM
r1/r6? shock has the res, running down, straight of the back. 300 eye to eye
06 or newer gsxr 600/750 shock? res is 90deg of the back of the shock. 317mm eye to eye.

also, early 2000's model ducatis have 330mm showa shocks that run the res to the side and downwards

might be worth looking into that.

cheers.joe.

DiscoDan
25-10-2010, 07:40 AM
quote:Originally posted by crazymofo

r1/r6? shock has the res, running down, straight of the back. 300 eye to eye
06 or newer gsxr 600/750 shock? res is 90deg of the back of the shock. 317mm eye to eye.

also, early 2000's model ducatis have 330mm showa shocks that run the res to the side and downwards

might be worth looking into that.

cheers.joe.

Just make sure the vertical reservoir doesn't hit the top of the s/arm at full travel with that model r6 shock (it did when I put one on the slabby). I had to change to a different year model that had a horizontal reservoir

nick76
25-10-2010, 10:06 AM
I'd give Terry Hay a call at Shock Treatment,i think he may be able to shorten the shock????
Im sure he did it to a supermotard shock i know of,and it was lowered nearly 100mm at seat height??

Deano
25-10-2010, 04:29 PM
cheers guys looks like the later shocks have the res in a lower position. will keep an eye out for one

thanks again

Deano
06-11-2010, 08:57 PM
back to the drawing board by the look of it. the yamaha shocks have a completely different bottom mount. they are eye mounts top and bottom. i want eyetop and clevis bottom