PDA

View Full Version : HELP. 99 CBR900 killing batteries

ads
12-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Hi,

As the subject states a fully charged battery is only lasting a few hours riding.

I have replaced the yellow 3 pin plug connecting the regulator which had a pin that looked a little burnt out.

The same problem.

I am just about to plug in a replacement regulator. Has anyone ever heard of a similar problem or know of something I should test before I do that.

Or if I replace the regulator and the problem still exists, does mean stator issues ?

Thanks in advance.

oldskool
12-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Honda of that age have reg rec problems as a rule but you should never take that for granted, if you have a new reg rec put it in and test the charge rate at the battery, multimeter on dc and you should have 13.5-14.5v at 4000rpm.
Testing the stator is done through the 3 yellow wires multimeter on ac and test between each yellow wire not sure what Honda spec's are but you should be getting 50-70v at 4000rpm.
Hope that helps.

megawatt
13-10-2010, 12:24 AM
Also check your earth connections. Some people have a seperate earth rom the reg/rec to the battery negative!

ads
13-10-2010, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the reply's.

I also found this guide which seems pretty comprehensive. The starting point is what oldskool suggested to look at ..

http://www.electrosport.com/media/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

The crow
15-10-2010, 03:29 PM
obvvious first chk all conections pos and neg and look for corrosion also a little cheep easy test run a second earh to the body or engine block on the bike and try that it will at least let u know if its within the circuit and u can go from there

ads
15-10-2010, 06:41 PM
quote:Originally posted by The crow

obvvious first chk all conections pos and neg and look for corrosion also a little cheep easy test run a second earh to the body or engine block on the bike and try that it will at least let u know if its within the circuit and u can go from there

Thanks for the tip. Excuse my ignorance though. Run a second earth from where ?

megawatt
16-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Run a wire, spliced into the earth wire to the reg/rec, to the battery negative!:D

The crow
18-10-2010, 04:43 PM
what he said up there ^^^^^^