PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia SXV550 on ebay.

shultram
03-10-2010, 08:29 AM
Hey fellas, Iv put my SXV on ebay check it out if your interested. Its an 06 model just had a rebuild and ready to go. I live in Newcastle NSW. cheers

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Aprilia-SXV550-Motard-Supermoto-/190451587138?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item2c57cc9842

Gitzy
03-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Seriously are these the most unreliably built motors ever, Aprilia offer a 3 month warranty on engine, and you've had yours rebuilt already before 10k kms, could they not have made the engine a little bit better or longer lasting for the road.. Are they simply a race bike with lights and blinkers?? Whoever rebuilt your motor and scratched your cases is a clown and should have replaced them...

oldskool
03-10-2010, 01:23 PM
As an Ex Aprilia mechanic I can tell you they should never have been released to the public as a road going machine. they had a 12mth warranty if kept restricted but if you did the exhaust generated so much heat they melted the duck tail, and Im not convinced that 700ml of oil is enough for any engine when they will use all that oil in hundreds of KMS .
Very fun bike to ride tho.

nick76
03-10-2010, 01:46 PM
The early engines of these,were not put together perfectly,and they used a bad case sealant.
General rule,if its got black case sealant,it shouldn't be a problem,so long as you keep an eye on the oil,as oldskool says,they hold fuck all,and like to chew through it.

The 450s seemed to have less problems than the 550s.

The biggest problem is,dealers sold them to people and didnt tell them to check the oil,so they'd make the first 1000k service,but they'd run out of oil before the 2nd dealer service.

Once set up properly,with the latest maps etc,they aren't all that bad.
Back when i had mine,the best mechanic for these in Oz,had only ever seen two have a mechnical failure,one was a team rider that was over revving the fuck out of his bike on the down change,and it lasted afew laps before it went bang,and another had one of the faulty pistons in it,which were only used in the first 200 bikes made,and it had cracked.

Other than that,most problems have been oil/water mix due to shit case sealant,and people not checking oil and running low.