PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Gsxr 1000 - Frame problems

Gsxar
29-09-2010, 06:37 PM
2005 Gsxr 1000 - Frame problems

I did a search and found larges post about the US Suzuki recalling them.

As above, I got a letter from Suzuki saying there had been problems with the frame cracking (lovely!) and have to take her in to have it checked and a 'small' brace fitted if its okay. Being a repairable write off & having the turbo fitted I'm hoping its okay or I'm sure they will give me a hard time about replacing the frame :(
Anyone else had this done yet?

Tony Nitrous
29-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Yeah, a couple of the lad's I ride with.
They ride pretty hard, Trackdays and wheelie too.
I think the brace is "bonded" in (Glue'd?)
No local problems before or after amongst those I know.

Shadowzone
29-09-2010, 08:50 PM
I wouldn't worry about the hassle from the dealers - Suzuki pays them to do the work regardless of mods. They will do it as it's part of their franchise agreement and complaints to head office about dealers hassling customers for recall work will get them in big poo poos.

RUSS M8
29-09-2010, 09:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by Shadowzone

I wouldn't worry about the hassle from the dealers - Suzuki pays them to do the work regardless of mods. They will do it as it's part of their franchise agreement and complaints to head office about dealers hassling customers for recall work will get them in big poo poos.

LOL, I would. They will get payed the regular flat rate of X hours, and told to shutup and get the job done... Not always the way to encourage quality work...
I'd try and talk to the dealer and make sure everyone understands what's going on re: mods and time ect.

2ndclasscitizen
29-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Wow, they took their sweet time getting the letter to you. I had mine done early last year. Basically they put some dye on the frame in the spots where it cracks will apparently shows up any (fucked if I know how). If there's no cracks, they fit the brace and the frame is warrantied for 5 years (I think it's 5). If they find cracks you get yourself a shiny new frame for free. Suzuki has said they don't give a shit what the bike's been used for, the cracks aren't in a place that usually snaps in a crash/from abuse (it's around the horn mounting point IIRC).

crazymofo
30-09-2010, 06:54 AM
the frame actually cracks around the weld where the main spars join to the headstock casting. serious indeed. but suzuki have also come out and said, its not an issue unless your prone to repetitive wheelstands and stunting. or if the bikes been crashed. they have also said that they dont care how the bike has been used. they will do the recall work reguardless. as its a major safety issue that lands at the feet of suzuki

my racebike has the brace fitted. bike isnt any different.

cheers.joe.

latheboy
30-09-2010, 07:15 AM
Hand it over and get it fixed.
Just dont give them the keys or you'll have 20 people test riding it.... Who wouldn't want to test ride a turbo bike, a safety test that is;)

Gsxar
30-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Thanks guys. Ivan, that was why I decided not to take it to the local dealer :D and it wont be getting left at the bike shop alone at all;)
Booked in next Tuesday, am pretty sure its okay, I can't see anything anyway.

scotty
04-10-2010, 08:19 AM
dun yet or is that tomorrow?

Gsxar
05-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Bike went in today to have the frame checked, it didn’t go according to plan, they couldn’t get to the frame where they need to test without removing the turbo pipes (which will need to be altered for them to fit the bracket anyway) and of course they don’t have the bracket until they send the results in to Suzuki who will then send out as bracket or frame :(
Arhhhh talk about stuffing around, not worrying about it till after GP now – the idea of a new frame is growing on me tho because mine is scratched [:0]