PDA

View Full Version : airbrush work???

ALBI
19-09-2010, 09:09 PM
last friday idropped my tank , seat base and front gaurd off to krankykustoms in beresfeild as dean was having an airbrush artist come in to look at mine and some other work to !! now when i told dean i couldnt be there as i was going to musswellbrook to do a loader service on sat he knew that i dont know wat i want but ! work scope is as follows
1/ no girly crap ie;pink flower crap.
2/ i love most space themes,fanasy themes,naked chick themes hmmmmm naked.
3/skulls and flames i love.
4/mechanical themes.
5/ i just want the artist to look at paint work and my picks of bike ,i told them it will have a black podwer coat frame and that he had full artistic blank canvas so to speak and he can do wat ever he wants??
now the go was that on sat at 10am they were going to call me and have a chat to see if they can do the work scope as described , now come 1pm i call and artist has gone home and dean tells me he "artist" doesnt know wat i want ?i told them on friday "i dont know wat i want " and that he had full design over it ,now i always thought that an opportunity to do wat ever the fuck he wants would be purfect,but i think im wrong? this tells me he cant think for himself and can only be a monkey in a gage!! and then im told it comes to money how much do i want to spend?? $200 $500 $1000 ???
i wanted them to look at wat i had and run with it so it will look good !!!
my prob is this my old man went to buy a ute years ago man asks how much he wants to spend old boy says $10 grand and was pointed in the direction of an dunnydore ute worth no more than $6000 but is told its was $11699 but he can have for $10000 my old man told him to fuck himself and left !! stupid salesman didnt think that last week it was on the lot for $5999 and old boy was interested in it!!
so ever since then when im asked how much do you want to spend i walk away!!!
i like to buy something that i like and if a paint job that is put forward to me ie; the airbrush work. and he has put his heart into the design and truely loves his work then i want it .
im on the verge of going and getting it all back!! as i was told to come in and sit on his comp looking at websites for ideas ive done this at home for fuck knows how long for the past 4 months he knoews this i love all forms of airbrush work that is why i gave them full artistic design!!
so wat do you guys think??
my juices are flowing now and this is what i want
black on black on fucking black
1/ to tone black bodywork
2/podwer coat the alloy black
3/ anodise the forks hmmm black
4/wheels black and outer polished
5/lower fork section polished
6/rear tial unit of new gixer 1000
7/finished my expanded tank
and then take to a differnt airbrush artist and say highlight the bikes lines as to make look big bad and nasty???

ALBI
19-09-2010, 09:11 PM
oh forgot to add
1/ i do not have a problem at all with dean from kranky kustoms as he told me from the get go he cant airbrush but does have a bloke that comes in !! deans work work is good !!
and this rant is from me a cunsumer that may have some crossed wires .

BANDITROD
19-09-2010, 09:25 PM
most artist i know work to a budget cos if they just go for it you may end up with a bill for $5000 and then will end up out of pocket if you cant pay so if they know their budget then they know when to stop cos they do get carried away quite easily

ALBI
19-09-2010, 10:07 PM
thats why he was to look at bike and work out what he thought would be the best why to bo work and then qoute??

BANDITROD
19-09-2010, 10:52 PM
ahh i missed that bit yeah i see your point mate i went with an idea an then told him my budget and let them go nuts i also let my painter put his logo on my bike it made it ALOT cheaper

robmac
20-09-2010, 08:11 AM
I fail to see the issue here. If a bloke came to me with no idea what he wanted and said go for it, the canvas is blank, do what you want, the first thing I would talk about would be money and at least get an idea of what base colour was preferred. There's way too many variables in a paint job and alot of those variables aren't going to look good in ur eye but look brilliant in the artists (mine was done twice for that very reason).

Black on black does look good but it's hardly original and to be honest it tells me that you can't think for urself and can only be a monkey in a cage.....:)

sharky
20-09-2010, 08:29 AM
Yeah, 'fraid I agree....most artists at least need to know a theme or starting point...
If you said for example 'flames and skulls, $750 budget, black frame and motor' at least he would have a starting point...

Tony Nitrous
20-09-2010, 08:32 AM
quote:Originally posted by ALBI

fantasy themes, naked chick themes, skulls and flames

Why do I keep thinking 1970/80's CB750 chop, ape hangers and sissy bar ?

kev@vcm
20-09-2010, 08:40 AM
I'm having my craft helmet air brushed and my air brush dude said to me straight away you need to know what you want if you leave it up to me then you get what i like , i spent 5 solid nights looking through ASF and some OS websites and i have a dozen pics printed out as to styles i like , w sat for 1 hr at my house talking shit and getting a plan sorted out , the deal was done , and I'm just waiting on my helmet to be finished ,

you need to be more specific with what you want. if you dont know what you want you should have done more back ground work on what you liked and be prepaired for the air brush guy. air brushing isnt easy the more you help him with a design the better your going to like the outcome

xa-mont
20-09-2010, 09:33 AM
i agree with what others have said... most artist (unless they are self important wankers) wont just go nuts if you tell them do what you want. My mum, being a tattooist, absolutely hates when people say do what you want. Some people may say that they are happy for you to do what you want, and then after it is done they hate the outcome...

From your design brief what would have stopped the artist painting cocks all over your bike? I'm sure I wouldn't be happy with that.

If my mum gets a "do what you want" brief, she always asks for a heap of pictures of the type of think people are after (a lot of tattoo jobs require some kind of random filling between things... so someone may want asian style cloads with flowers and whatnot and some people may want a heap of evil skulls... blah blah blah you get the idea) and what area they want filled, and then she will tell them how much the top end of the scale as far as cost will be. It is a little easier with tattoo's because the client is always present, with airbrushing you are there at the start and at the end... so they would need a much clearer idea of what is desired.

fimpBIKES
20-09-2010, 12:17 PM
he probably saw it wasnt some chopper and realised you wouldnt have unlimited funds to chuck at it LOL

scotty
20-09-2010, 03:11 PM
end up with cocks......... Bwaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Gitzy
20-09-2010, 08:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by kev@vcm

I'm having my craft helmet air brushed

Heya Kev, don't suppose old mate is taking progress pics of his artwork on your helmet? that would be good to see.. A airbrushed Craft helmet is on my list.. its somewhere above triples from Ben and below seats by you.. :)

kev@vcm
20-09-2010, 09:52 PM
yeah he is mate , its a grim reaper theme helmet . i will get your email later and email you progress pics gitzy ,

bluemk1
21-09-2010, 12:26 AM

yeah he is mate , its a grim reaper theme helmet . i will get your email later and email you progress pics gitzy ,

dont hold out, let us all see :D

rod185651
21-09-2010, 07:10 AM
quote:Originally posted by bluemk1

dont hold out, let us all see :D

Yeah I reckon a few of us would be interested Kev. Post up a thread mate

kev@vcm
21-09-2010, 08:19 AM
ok will post a thread soon as i get progress pics guys and will supply full details of the guy whom is doing it

Neo Dutch
21-09-2010, 08:56 AM
There's a bloke down Vic way that does high-end speed boats. You drop off the boat, a piece of paper with the boat's name on it and a bag full of cash, and then fuck off. That's the total of the input you get, the rest is up to him.

LKC73
21-09-2010, 05:04 PM
My younger bro is now doing he's own airbrush works. He's been an artists for decades and used airbrushing for shirts and walls. He's just starting to get into bikes and lids. Heres some of he's work. If you guys are will to try someone new out, email me and I'll put you in touch with him. Pic's are a little shitty, there from my phone.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1285077383.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1285082659.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1285069985.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1285112872.jpg

ALBI
24-09-2010, 11:19 AM
robmac-paint is already done !2pak quasar blue and all there is to do is the tank seat surround and front wheel gaurd no more than 3 feet of tin work! im a mechanic that has worked in body shops and knows how much of an area that means!!i can not see how no-one knows were im coming from ?
1/ if an artist is creative and has a love for his/her job and LISTENS to the client,ie i love all types of airbrush work ,and i want him to use his head and give me something left field!!
2/it dosent take a brainiac to look back at a work scope ,hear me and look at bike and let his imagination go wild then say .albi id love to do this or this mate its going to cost you $$$$
3- my idead of a $500 budget might be not enough or a budget of $1500 might not be enough
4- you get a biulder to qoute on work on ur house ,he looks and writes down what is needed listens to said client and goes away and works out price point blank you dont tell builder i have $30,000 to spend it might be only a $20,000 job but then he says oh mate its going to cost $28,000?
5- he has not talked to me to ask if i want a lot of colour ,shading,highlight the lines,simply all he has asked the shop propritor dean is how much does he want to spend!!!
and to look at websites
if he talked to me and heard what i like and where i want to go with the bike he WILL know how far he can go and to roughly wat expence!!

kev@vcm
24-09-2010, 11:37 AM
you want this artist to give you something from left feild right .well heres another point of view to look at what if he does this "from left feild paint" and you dont like it ??, air brushing can literally be hundreds of hours of work and if you say i dont like it i want something eles then he has to scrap all the hours of work and this is where it comes down to money , this is why i work very closely with my custmers to make sure i give 100% at all times , but your asking a guy to create something of his design with out a $ figure , i honestly think you need to do some back ground work on what you want from him maybe print pics have a look at web sites and make a time to sit and discuss in full detail what you want and dont leave anything to chance , the out of left feild stuff might not work for him , or maybe look somewhere eles at another air brush guy , im not hangin it on ya im just trying to give you another avenue to look at mate ,

if you droped a seat at my shop and said kev give me something from left feild mate and didnt tell me what materials you liked you would get something that wont work with the design of the bike ,

all of this is just totally my opinions , i really hope you can get it sorted mate as it sounds like a really cool bike , i hope to see pics of it soon ,

xa-mont
24-09-2010, 12:03 PM
so... still following your brief that you have set out so far... you would be happy if he airbrushed cocks all over it, spend 80 hours doing so and charged you $3200 for it? (that is based on a very conservative $40 an hour)

The problem is you are being far too vague. how is he to know that you are not going to get pissed off if he airbrushes every inch of it.... or adversely if he only does a few little tiny bits? How much you want to spend will give him some boundaries. You are the customer so it is your responsibility to call him up/go see him and tell him what you want. you need to give him a starting point.

Maybe if you tell him, "i would like something fantasy themed (an example or 30 would help here), covering every panel, with X amount of detail (an example picture would be helpful here as well), i do/dont want you to design every part of it (ie no copied bits from other fantasy artists, all original) what ball park figure am i looking at?"

If you are happy with his response, then go ahead with it.

Adversely you could say "i would like something fantasy themed (an example or 30 would help here), covering every panel, with as much detail and original design as i can get for X amount of money."

latheboy
24-09-2010, 01:11 PM
A friend of mine is a tattoist and he hates it when people come in with no idea.
Or they want something tibal but it has to mean something.... Dickheads

They end up with tibal flames.... sic as choice bro

Tho he doesn't deal with walk ins anymore.

You have to give the guy some idea of what you want....

xa-mont
24-09-2010, 03:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by latheboy

Tho he doesn't deal with walk ins anymore.

nearly any tattooist that is any good wont do walk ins any more. Mum is booked out for about 8 months.

80s freak
25-09-2010, 09:13 PM
I think the biggest part of your problem Albi is that the "artist" didn't call you to discuss what you wanted. As anybody who provides a service has to talk to the client to get a picture in their own head of what should be done. Am I right in thinking that this is what's at the core of you being pissed off.
If someone drops a bike off to me and says "Make it faster." I don't just fuck off with the bike without asking them what sort of thing did they have in mind. After we have established a direction then we'll talk budget, and I will give them a figure not ask them how much they want to spend. After that we can adjust what I'll do according their funds.
Communication is what was missing from your arrangement. I personally would go elsewhere, just make sure that the artist wants to talk to you and that you have a connection with them. Like putting a tattoo on your body if you don't feel that the tattooist "gets" where you're coming from. Air brushing is the same.

ALBI
26-09-2010, 10:11 AM
if everyone can have a read of 80s freak post!!! he has it in one!!

lathboy i have 3 tattoos and one of them was done the samr way as abouve my wife and i gave her a work scope ,she then TALKED to us to find out where we wanted to go and she took 15 mins to design and 1 hour later its on our arms!!!

kev@vcm mate id love to give him a $$$ figure but in order to do that dont you think he needs to TALK to me???
its like ur seats "mate love ur work to" a consumer comes in and leaves a seat you not there,and customer says i cant be here tommorrow to talk to you and ur partner says not a prob ill get him to call you so he can work out wat you want and when you can come in to finalise design before comensing you then call and TALK to consumer he then comes in at a appropiate time for you both" as you are working and trying to run a buisness and so is the customer "and tired of jokers comming in for qoutes and waisting work hours!!! as you now know wat the customer wants and likes you have only spent minamal time !!as you have had the seat for a couple of days looking at it in the corner of the room !!!! mate ive only got tight budget to work with wat can you do???you then qoute ex amount $$$$ and if he happy you get job !! ALL BECAUSE YOU TALKED TO HIM?????

all i can say is 80'S FREAK HAS IT IN A NUTSHELL.

im 40 married with 3 kids and a house mortgage and 1 tl1000 streetfighter i work a shit load of overtime to keep trucks on the road from breaking appart and killing others on the road, so wat time i do have to spend on sunday is precious to my family ,i dont ask for fuck all !!!!

except for COMMUNICATION

kev@vcm
26-09-2010, 10:42 AM
albi thats very true as to what you and 80's freak have pointed out mate . as i have said i really hope it all works out mate as i would love to see the end result , good luck

ALBI
28-09-2010, 08:35 PM
cheers mate and dont worry once ive got the bike sorted ill be sending tha seat to ya
oh how much to do it ???

ALBI
28-09-2010, 08:37 PM
sorry kev had to do it lol

kev@vcm
28-09-2010, 08:40 PM
ALBI loven the sence of houmer mate well done , well mate you will have to ring me and make an appointment or leave me a message hahahaha

hooligan
29-09-2010, 08:48 AM
When I was getting my 711 repainted after getting hit by a car, i had a look at the airbrushing templates on the anest-iwata website, and found this one.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1285766374.gif

which was turned into this

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1285758394.jpg

I wasn't quite sure what I wanted, but foud a template I liked, and in my head was thinking just having it done black over the grey, kinda of like camo, but different.
airbrusher had different ideas, and I was glad he did his own thing with the template. The template was the basic idea, but a lot of it was free hand.

Finding the template meant that i could point the guy in the right direction, but still let his ideas flow to get some great work.

kev@vcm
29-09-2010, 09:04 AM
thats awesome hooligan

xa-mont
29-09-2010, 09:52 AM
I had a bit of a go at airbrushing my self for a bit.

Might have to try some more one day...

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c287/xacoupe/airbrushing/N95-pic-0811.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c287/xacoupe/airbrushing/DSC001451.jpg

kev@vcm
29-09-2010, 10:22 AM
wow well ASF has alot of hidden tallent comeing out , well done

ALBI
03-10-2010, 02:01 PM
sweet job xa-mount
dont worry kev ill call!!
just an update went and got the bike gear and spoke to dean ,we worked out the problem i have ! the first time i went there he told me the airbrusher can be a difficult, so i took that and went fuck him so can i!!
after talking to dean the propriotor of kranky kustoms told me that the airbrusher likes to make it look mechanical ie when you get a tattoo of ur bone and mussel riping through ur skin well he likes the same on metal?? so he likes to know wat i like and how much to spend approx ill told dean about $500 and he agread that any more money and you will have a bike with a killer job but money will have to b spent on bike to bring it up to spec.
so i bit the bullet and told airbrusher$$$$$ 500 maxand will be finally sitting down and talking with him woooohoooo progress.

kev@vcm
03-10-2010, 02:21 PM
ALBI thats a great result mate glad to here its working out i like hearing a good result .

jakam04
03-10-2010, 05:31 PM
This concept is available now being mongrel is no more lol...

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e161/jakam04/My%20Fighter/IMG_0810.jpg

lurch
03-10-2010, 06:38 PM
^^^Not my cup o' tea but fuck me that's some good work! Looks so lifelike, where was it done?

Something tells me my labradors airbrushed on my tank wouldn't have the same impact :D

jakam04
03-10-2010, 07:09 PM
It was done by a chick in laidlie near Ipswich. Her name is Rebecca and she can be contacted on 0402 088 412.

Hopefully she hasn't changed her number.

Jarrod

lurch
03-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Cheers. Pretty sure I've been told about her before and Laidley is only just down the road!

ALBI
04-10-2010, 08:26 PM
man that is fugin tops

Cooper Custom
05-10-2010, 08:51 AM
I dont even know how they guy could have laid down any paint at all, without knowing what you wanted. Sometimes I talk to people for weeks about what they want, and sometimes the end result is quite different to what they started out with. I will ask people to show me pictures of other bikes etc or designs that they like & colours, and have a pretty good feel for what they want & the person themselves.. As so many have mentioned, it all comes down to communication.. It's not my job to guess what someone wants or likes, So if I dont ask, I will never know or the worst part is you could end up with something on your bike that you dont like & you have blown your money..

ALBI
10-10-2010, 01:19 PM
hey cooper i know that mate that is what my problem has been at the start!! he didnt want to talk to me to find out what is in my head !!!i wanted him to go with what ever but in order to do that i needed him to contact me and talk ,.

Cooper Custom
10-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Albi, I can see how frustrating that would have been... no wonder you seemed a little ppissed at the entire process