PDA

View Full Version : Tyres

xa-mont
09-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Hey everyone,

had a bit of a search around and found a bit of info/opinions, but thought i would put a new thread up to consolidate it.

I am due... well overdue for a new rear tyre and thought i would replace the front at the same time.

What tyres would you all recommend?

I commute to work every day, so that needs to be considered, but i don't really do any long distance stuff.

I don't want to be replacing tyres every 5000km's but do want something pretty sticky in both wet and dry situations. something that doesn't require a shit load of warming up to get any performance out of it would be good too (my trip to-from work and between clients are sub 20mins)

so... what should i get? and where should i get it from in the melbourne area (i work in carlton south so somewhere around here would be good.)

bluemk1
09-09-2010, 12:01 PM
asking for tyre opinions is like starting a topic about religion or politics

xa-mont
09-09-2010, 01:09 PM
lol, i know that opinions on tyres are very wide and varied... but the more i can get the more informed my choice will be.

Gix11
09-09-2010, 01:21 PM
You need to get some ideas from other commuters. I stopped using the bike everyday a while ago and now it's only for pleasure, and only goes on twisties, so my choice is sticky soft up front, and dual compound up rear for hard take off resistance and sticky in the corners. This would not suit someone trying to make them last as long as possible on mainly straight roads, so I can't really comment.

rod185651
09-09-2010, 03:47 PM
I have Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs on both my bikes and they are by far the best tyre I have ever used. I do track days, week end rides on nice twisty roads (With a pillion also) and commute every week from illawarra to Sydney. I personally can't fault them.

robmac
09-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Try out the new Metzeler M5's. Supposed to be everything that's needed for the road.

JackTar
09-09-2010, 05:07 PM
I had pirelli dragons when I was doing long straight distances, last ages through the centre but if it rains leave the bike at home cause it may as well be an oil spill.

Hagarr
09-09-2010, 05:39 PM
quote:I had pirelli dragons when I was doing long straight distances, last ages through the centre but if it rains leave the bike at home cause it may as well be an oil spill.

Interesting quote Jackie I thought the Dragons were the ducks nuts!

Any reasons you might have had an issue?

Cruisecontrol
09-09-2010, 05:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by Hagarr

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1284089440.jpg

Tony Nitrous
09-09-2010, 06:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by xa-mont

so... what should i get?

Waaaay to many variables to recomend to someone else.

I have Pilot Power or Dunlop Qualifiers on 3 of mine,
Other's dislike them, im happy enough. They suit my budget,
lack of riding ability, and ignorance in setting up suspension.

Cant remember ever getting over 5,000k's out of a tyre though!
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/3168/org3x.jpg

robmac
09-09-2010, 07:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by Cruisecontrol

quote:Originally posted by Hagarr

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1284089440.jpg

Fuck me, you really made a mess of urself with that home sex change didn't you [:0]

hooligan
09-09-2010, 09:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by robmac

Try out the new Metzeler M5's. Supposed to be everything that's needed for the road.

I've got a set on the speed triple. fucking nice tyres.
i ride everyday for work, mostly in the city, and in all weather, and can't fault them yet (maybe 1000ks).
great in the dry, and feel the same in the wet.
haven't done any fun riding on them yet, but the old M3's were good when things were moving a bit faster, so I reckon these should be just as good.