PDA

View Full Version : Insuring a repairable write-off

hamo
19-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Was thinking about buying a repairable write-off from the auctions but was wondering if there are any dramas insuring them once they are back on the road? i know when i insured my current vehicle, i was asked if the vehilce had any existing damage. i assume with a repairable write-off that there might be a few scratches and dings that i wouldn't really be fussed on fixing.......has anybody been through this????

sharky
19-02-2007, 09:35 PM
In Vic you need a VIV form completed by a official Vicroads approved tester. This basically says the vehicle has been repaired to a satisfactory standard. With mine they were more concerned about the structural stuff that the odd mark or scuff. Plus it has to pass a roadworthy/safety test. After that it is a standard bike to insure. You will have all the paperwork to satisfy the insurance company if they ask..
I believe there is a similar thing to VIV in Qld. Main thing is to check out not only the additional costs involved( as well as the actual repair costs) but also where your nearest tester is based. You may have to travel to get it done...thus needing a permit.

dazz
20-02-2007, 08:27 AM
insured mine on Friday with no hassles at all.

As long as it is not carrying dents, broken shit etc and it looks 'complete' there should be no dramas.

hamo
20-02-2007, 09:40 PM
thanks for that advice guys, sounds like there are no hassles from that side then - off to the auctions soon then hey!!