PDA

View Full Version : Servicing under warranty

JackTar
26-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Mate of mine has a harley somethingorother and it is still under warranty, he has told me that he is doing his own servicing because the services at the harley joint are around $480 for a standard service (I told him he should have factored that in when he was buying a tractor). I told him that unless it is done by a mechanic then his warranty is void, he argued that if he does it by the manual then it is.

I am 99% positive that I am right so what I want to know is first of all AM I right and secondly if I am is this written down somewhere because this bloke is the kind that only believes something written.

Cheers.

zx12argh
26-08-2010, 01:25 PM
I though usually its the first initial service he's gotta get done to have his warranty validated - but it'll spell it out in his users manual in black and white.

crazymofo
26-08-2010, 01:36 PM
i know with suzuki they will acknowledge if you have done your own servicing, however they will ask to see all your recepits of consumables...ie. oil, filters etc... and your own personal log book

cheers.joe.

scotty mac
26-08-2010, 01:45 PM
what joe said, but then again harley would want ya to spend all ya cash at there shop!!

DiscoDan
26-08-2010, 01:47 PM
I'm pretty sure that they are not allowed by law to require you to use their services. Same applies for aftermarket parts vs OEM.

If a particular warranty claim is due to dodgy maintenance or faulty aftermarket parts they can reject it but they can't blanket void the whole warranty

sickboy
26-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Its a Harley,what could go wrong with it?[:p][xx(].

nick76
26-08-2010, 03:55 PM
I was always under the impression that a licenced mechanic had to do it,to keep your warrenty?

Im surprised to hear that Suzuki are that lenient.
There was a DL1000 in at my local shop,that his mate waited for something like 6mths+ for cams(i think??),or cam sensors or some shit like that,and it was a major shit fight aswell,and there reason was just coz it had a slip on,on it!!

2ndclasscitizen
26-08-2010, 04:17 PM
As long as you can prove you did it (so, receipts for parts/consumables), your warranty is safe if you service it yourself.

JackTar
26-08-2010, 05:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by 2ndclasscitizen

As long as you can prove you did it (so, receipts for parts/consumables), your warranty is safe if you service it yourself.

I am quite dubious about this, considering those receeipts could be from anyone and the parts could have been used on any bike. I even rang a reputable bike shop here in Canberra and they wouldn't even do an under warranty service on a harley said that it has to go to the harley place here (there is only one conveniently for them)

Jockney Rebel
26-08-2010, 05:28 PM
im a licenced member of the MVRIA motor vehicle industry repairers association
generally you need a qualified mechanic to service the vehicle to protect yourself from void warrenty claims via the manufacturer [which effectivly means no warrenty] but ANY qualified mechanic can do this, it doesnt have to be a Harley guy so if your mate has MVRIA licence then hes sorted
oh and if the service item is safety related it could also void any insurance you have

JackTar
26-08-2010, 05:48 PM
He isn't a mechanic at all mate, he is just using the manual.

xa-mont
26-08-2010, 05:55 PM
sounds like he is shit outa luck then.

Unless he can get a mechanic to dodge up the books... but you would have to be mates because i would wager that the fines for faking that could be pretty hard.

fimpBIKES
26-08-2010, 05:56 PM
still wont protect you from my experience

but it would seem wise for at least the first service
pretty sure you would have to use the harley oils too

RevHead
26-08-2010, 06:25 PM
ok lets say he does his own shit and something goes astray,and he takes it to the dealer and he looks at his computer ,and his name is nowhere to be seen ,then they say SORRY you didnt get us to do your work so your warrentty is void,jacktar your spot on; your mate with the tractor is a wanker

watkins
26-08-2010, 06:57 PM
my Triumph needs to be done by Peter Stevens to remain under warranty.

Removing the tank myself at home to have it sprayed could realistically have voided my warranty... depends how big of arseholes they wanna be - but it is fair enough i see lots of people work on their bikes at home almost every second bolt is rounded off etc.

and whats the $480 if whenever ANYTHING goes wrong with the bike you can basically blame it on them as they are the only ones that fucked with it!

BMW motorcycles are they same and they are VERY strict on it...

Hillsy
26-08-2010, 06:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by nick76

Im surprised to hear that Suzuki are that lenient.

Probably because their bikes don't shit themselves as often as Harleys :D

Anyway, thank fuck we don't live in the USA. I did a Google on "Harley Davidson Warranty" and found a string of complaints from Yanks that were billed by their DEALERS for fixing up things that broke under the warranty period.

Apparently HD in the States are tight as fuck when it comes to shelling out for warranty claims [:0]

Then again, I'll never be buying a HD, so fuck 'em :D

fimpBIKES
26-08-2010, 10:01 PM
btw, dont assume that a big company (such as suzuki) give a flying fuck about you or your warranty just because you bought one bike off them

i dont see myself buying a new car or bike from new again

80s freak
26-08-2010, 10:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by Jockney Rebel

im a licenced member of the MVRIA motor vehicle industry repairers association
generally you need a qualified mechanic to service the vehicle to protect yourself from void warrenty claims via the manufacturer [which effectivly means no warrenty] but ANY qualified mechanic can do this, it doesnt have to be a Harley guy so if your mate has MVRIA licence then hes sorted
oh and if the service item is safety related it could also void any insurance you have

Your on the money, the only thing I can add is it needs to be done by a registered business, and the service book must be filled out and stamped correctly and the servicing must be carried out before the due kilometres have been reached.

bluemk1
27-08-2010, 03:45 AM
just tell weasel to stop being a tight cunt and shell out the cash.

he wanted a tractor now he has to live with it!

Phill
27-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Go with Jock and freak!!

I used to do warranty service work as part of my last job.
It was deemed not as per warranty cause it was a private (ie Company owned) workshop even though Im a licenced mechanic. Getting it done at a "registered" workshop , qualified to do car/bike/truck/ whatever work , with suitably qualified licenced mechanics is enough to satisfy the legal requirements of warranty.
Right up to the point where the stealership wants to be a c#nt aboout it!!
Some of the trucks I worked on had driveline issues (cracked suspension/diffmounts) it was deemed in court that had I been in a (insert large truck company starting with Ken) the appropriate recall and training would have been provided and the warranty work provided and paid for. Since it was a "private workshop" there was no "proof" of workmanship and training or correct parts they voided the ENTIRE warranty!!
If , as was argued in court, I had taken them to the authorised workshop or been a licenced workshop, then the warranty would be ok.

my take on that was service it yourself, every now and then get an authorised workshop do do a service, sling the service guy a beer (or three) to backdate a service or two and bobs your aunty!

hooligan
27-08-2010, 09:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by bluemk1

just tell weasel to stop being a tight cunt and shell out the cash.

he wanted a tractor now he has to live with it!

i actually did laugh out loud

Jockney Rebel
28-08-2010, 09:09 PM
me too .....

mattymagoo22
29-08-2010, 08:40 PM
I've seen plenty of instances where having serviced your chosen mode of transport at the place you bought it from, from day 1, have resulted in the manufacturer actually helping out with parts and labour even after the warranty period has lapsed. Not all stealerships are pricks, just most!

BANDITROD
29-08-2010, 08:48 PM
shit weasel bought a harley WTF

RevHead
29-08-2010, 10:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

btw, dont assume that a big company (such as suzuki) give a flying fuck about you or your warranty just because you bought one bike off them

well i bought 5 new husaberg dirt bikes since 04 till 09 and husaberg sent me every new paper work every year ,plus flew me to melbourne twice,,when i had one explode,the local dealer told me fuck off cause i didnt buy it from him when i contacted husaberg ,sweden,told them about this,they told the guy to warrent my bike or he,d lose his dealership,,,big companies do prove loyal to the customers,

bluemk1
30-08-2010, 06:56 AM
quote:Originally posted by BANDITROD

shit weasel bought a harley WTF

what rock you been hiding under?

here it is

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1283139758.jpg

Fight_fan
30-08-2010, 07:52 AM
LOL Thats gold!

livewire
30-08-2010, 08:12 AM
looks pink to me

fimpBIKES
30-08-2010, 08:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by revheadpete

quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

well i bought 5 new husaberg dirt bikes since 04 till 09 and husaberg sent me every new paper work every year ,plus flew me to melbourne twice,,when i had one explode,the local dealer told me fuck off cause i didnt buy it from him when i contacted husaberg ,sweden,told them about this,they told the guy to warrent my bike or he,d lose his dealership,,,big companies do prove loyal to the customers,

glad you experience was a positive one
unfortunately i read your post and it just makes angry, im broken

ALBI
31-08-2010, 08:22 PM
yeh mate as long as it is carried out by an licened workshop or a licenced mechanic all warrenty has to be hounered buy the dealer point blank!! silly thing is for servicing in NSW if a workshop (licened) employs a bloke/woman to do shit kicking jobs in workshop he/she can carryout oil changes as long as the workshop is licened.