PDA

View Full Version : Written off vehicles ?

20-08-2010, 02:10 PM
G'day, I am told there are new laws coming in Oct 2010 regarding " repairable write off" bikes. Apparantly, ALL vehicles that are written off by insurance companies cannot be re - registered in NSW. If this is the case, getting a bike at auction / ebay that has been pranged for a 'fighter project would be a waste of time. Also, it would have to really push up insurance premiums as the insurance companies would not be able to make any money back when selling them at auction. It is supposed to discourage re - birthing of vehicles.
Any thoughts on this subject ?

Mishdog20
20-08-2010, 03:33 PM
There is a thread around here somewhere mate, regarding this topic. Im sure someone will post a link up for this soon.

Hillsy
20-08-2010, 03:34 PM
I guess Manheim-Fowles will move their NSW bikes to QLD or VIC for auction.

ACTAngler
20-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Pretty sure this new law is coming in the ACT as well.

RevHead
20-08-2010, 08:07 PM
its coming to nsw,september 30 and qld,soon FORGOT to mention that panel beater must repair the bike car to 90 percent of its value so a lot of things WILL be getting fixed,fuckn lazy arse beaters will hate this ,they,ll have to actually work for there cash,

21-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Is that Pete from Macksville, this is Noel from Tweed that bought the can off you, how ya go'in ?.............Cheers

Jup
21-08-2010, 09:49 AM
quote:Originally posted by Mishdog20

There is a thread around here somewhere mate, regarding this topic. Im sure someone will post a link up for this soon.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19297

21-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Hey, thanks for that link, very helpful, especially this bit from Mr Large :-

I wrote to the rta after I had my sook here...After about 6 weeks I got this reply-

"Good Morning Mr Large

I am replying to you email regarding your 3 motorcycles that are previous written-off vehicles. I apologise for the lateness in replying.

Vehicles recorded on the Written-Off Vehicle Register (WOVR) as repairable write-offs before August 2010 will be eligible to be re-registered providing all existing registration requirements are met.

This means that motorbikes currently recorded as repairable write-offs will not be affected by the new reform.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if any further clarification is required.

Yours sincerely

Jean Chummun
Registration Policy Officer"

RevHead
21-08-2010, 04:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by leonyam

Is that Pete from Macksville, this is Noel from Tweed that bought the can off you, how ya go'in ?.............Cheers
yup hey bloke hows it goin [8D]

21-08-2010, 05:18 PM
I'm go'in good mate, thanks. These fcuking new laws put a big fcuking spanner in the works though !!!! [xx(]

RevHead
22-08-2010, 04:49 PM
yeah they just about fucked it for all except,wreckers,hey if you buy ruffy bikes and need em painted ,cleaned up give me a call

Booster
22-08-2010, 07:41 PM
And then when the current bikes meet the NSW rego requirements you still can't sell them into Vic (VIV) or Qld without the new buyer needing a new inspection at $480

22-08-2010, 07:41 PM
even wreckers will have probs 'cause nobody will be repairing bikes as they will all be stat write offs. Insurance premiums will go through the roof as they won't be able to sell much at auction to make some of there money back. I think I'll just hang back for a while on buying ruffies to see what happens. If I need a paint job in the future I'll give you a bell.

Large
22-08-2010, 07:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by Booster

And then when the current bikes meet the NSW rego requirements you still can't sell them into Vic (VIV) or Qld without the new buyer needing a new inspection at $480

You sure about that Greg?

Any car/bike under 10 years old that goes interstate has the risk of needing an inspection, but it's only about 60-80$.

Surely any bike that's legally registered in any state should be registerable in any other state?

If not methinks it's getting too much like when Australia tried to build a national train line

nick76
23-08-2010, 10:23 AM
I think NRMA will be starting a whole new chain of NRMA Wreckers with all these bikes that will be good to no one.

Just to clear one thing up,if i was to buy a repairable write off,that was written off before a the certain date that these changes happened,but not rego'd yet,could i still get it rego'd????

RevHead
23-08-2010, 06:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by nick76

I think NRMA will be starting a whole new chain of NRMA Wreckers with all these bikes that will be good to no one.

Just to clear one thing up,if i was to buy a repairable write off,that was written off before a the certain date that these changes happened,but not rego'd yet,could i still get it rego'd????
nick your spot on with the nrma they are starting car and bike wreckers all over to sell there parts ,

26-08-2010, 07:21 PM
The RTA finally updated their website with the new reforms

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/written_off_vehicles_faqs.pdf