PDA

View Full Version : GSX1100F, Anyone had any experience?

17-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Looks like I've got one of these coming in a month or so, $2000, so price is good.

Have been looking, and it does have a nice torquey GSXR1127 motor in it (this one is apparently in top condition). And a traditional looking cradle frame.

fimpBIKES
17-02-2007, 11:32 PM
seen the light eh?

17-02-2007, 11:35 PM
A big bore Suzuki was always on the books this year. And the F engine is tuned more for grunt than revs, so should be good for playing up on the road, plus the cradle frame will give it an old school look. That fairing definitely has to go though.

fimpBIKES
17-02-2007, 11:37 PM
hmmm, any suggestions on how to grunt up the kat motor while im giving it a freshen up?

is this one of those big "tank" looking bikes?
got a pic of one?

unsane
17-02-2007, 11:39 PM
Hey chalkmeister,

go for it dude, sounds good for that price. Ive got an gsx1100f 1127 motor sitting here on my coffe table (in peices :( ). And i can tell you the motors are great. They were the first 1127 gixxer motors, any tuning parts parts for the gix 1127 will fit the F model (like APE stuff ect).

They also have a bit more torque than the R model (the F was a huge heavy touring bike) and just a tiny bit less BHP. But you can do stuff like use 750R short stroke heads and cams on em (j-k models)if you want the extra+ HP.

My 750R/11F was the only bike ive ever ridden that had me laughing like a manic, before i left the driveway. Not meaning to disrepect our beloved old school kawaka 9R's, but the 1127s truly rock more than anything else ive ridden.

17-02-2007, 11:41 PM
GSX1100EF cams, they're equivalent to stage ones for that motor. gas flow the head, larger valves, larger oil cooler. Balance and blueprint, then you can push the motor harder without having it detonate on you.

I think the barrels/pistons from the EF will also fit you're head/bottom end, giving 1135cc's.

17-02-2007, 11:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by unsane

Hey chalkmeister,

go for it dude, sounds good for that price. Ive got an gsx1100f 1127 motor sitting here on my coffe table (in peices :( ). And i can tell you the motors are great. They were the first 1127 gixxer motors, any tuning parts parts for the gix 1127 will fit the F model (like APE stuff ect).

They also have a bit more torque than the R model (the F was a huge heavy touring bike) and just a tiny bit less BHP. But you can do stuff like use 750R short stroke heads and cams on em (j-k models)if you want the extra+ HP.

My 750R/11F was the only bike ive ever ridden that had me laughing like a manic, before i left the driveway. Not meaning to disrepect our beloved old school kawaka 9R's, but the 1127s truly rock more than anything else ive ridden.

Sounds good, very good, especially the lazy power aspect. By all accounts the motor is very tight, so I'll probably leave it as is for now.

fimpBIKES
17-02-2007, 11:44 PM
was thinking of getting an engine kit (12__?) from APE

cams, rings, studs etc
figured i may as well do a bit if i had to dive in there!

got pics yet?

17-02-2007, 11:51 PM
No not yet, a guy I know had someone turn up needing cash bad, so he bought it and has put it away in his garage till I get a bit more financial.

Some mates can really surprise you sometimes :D

17-02-2007, 11:53 PM
If you want to retain reliability / longevity then you might want to stick to the 1166cc kit. You'd be surprised at the improvement just from that.

alfiestorm
18-02-2007, 12:11 AM
Erm chaps have a look at my bike in the mebers ride or your ride sections.
The engine is quite highly tuned and it has stayed 100% reliable and a fuck sight more powerfull than a standard engine.

But you could just flow the head yourself and pop in a different set of cams if you want and that should perk it up a bit by about 12+bhp and give you a much bigger kick in the pants as you wack the throttle open :D

Oh I forgot to say that if you dont want to mess with the engine yet as it is in good condition then I think you must get rid of the airbox fit some dual oval k&n's and a stage three dyna jet kit and be prpared to have a permanent grin on ya face and upgrade the brakes if they have not been done already.
Apparently I have a few set of nissin four pot calipers up for grabs some with braded lines :D

18-02-2007, 12:17 AM
Where'd you get the motor done Alfie ?

BigCC? Over 1166cc you want to be sure the grease monkeys are damned good, lots of stories down here of bigger bores not lasting the distance.

Still, saying that, I'd love to do a 1600cc example, just for the sheer hell of it.[:p]

18-02-2007, 12:29 AM
Here's the paint scheme I'm goona use

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/76468243140986.jpg

Just to piss of the Katana purists :D

alfiestorm
18-02-2007, 12:32 AM
The work was done at BIG CC and I have since stripped the top half of the engine down for no other reason than to check the work that had been done and put it back together.
The reason I done that is because one of my mates had his 1100 taken out to 1371 by BIG CC and they made a fuck up when putting it back together.
They used non genuine gaskets on the bottom half of the engine and after a few hundred miles it leaked more than a thing from planet leak and the finish of the work was very crap to be polite they did not even balance the carbs.
So I had to check mine.

Anyway back to the question taking a 1127 engine out to 1216 is perfectly safe and will not fail and that is talking from experience. Anymore than that and I would big block it and if I was going to big block it then it would have to have a turbo :D

18-02-2007, 12:36 AM
Yeah, Fimp was asking about his Kat engine though, an original 1062cc GSX motor.

If the F engine needs work at any stage, a big bore kit will probably be on the cards. hmmm 1216cc, hot cams, programmable ignition, fuel injection............who needs turbo power?

alfiestorm
18-02-2007, 12:55 AM
The old GSX motors are bomb proof taking it out to 1166 by boring out the standard bores not a problem again speaking from my own experience. when I had a old gs1000 and put in a gsx motor with a 1166 big bore no problems at all and run it for years like that. Would still have it now but i bought my gsxr

18-02-2007, 01:11 AM
Yeah, exactly mate, but going larger does cause some issues, especially here in Oz, where summer temperatures can get up to 40 C + and the much greater distances to travel. A 4000k trip is common down here (you'll find out soon enough old chap) and the bigger bores suffer for it.

Plus anything over 1199cc's requires new block etc., and that's on the 1135cc EF motors.

alfiestorm
18-02-2007, 02:18 AM
yeah didn't think about the heat in Auss. The temp over here rearly gets above 30c and that may only be for a day in one part of the country.

I have ridden across spain in 42c heat on my bike in it's current state of tune with no probs and that was for two weeks the lowest the temp dropped to was 32c for the two weeks and that included riding through some of the big city's

I have a solution to the heat problem or I think I do.
I am fitting a heat sensitive switch to my oil cooler and fitting a fan to suck air through the oil cooler Just got to figure out the heat rating for the switch and make up some brackets etc but that will have to wait until I arrive in Aussie land. Should help when around town.

:)

18-02-2007, 08:51 AM
It's actually tooling around in traffic that causes the GPz to get hot, more so than fanging out in the country side. Can you just take the switch from one of them, or any other watercooled japper. You could even use the relevant wiring. The fan would be a bit large though.
Although the water radiator would have to provide a lot more cooling capacity than the standard oil cooler.

fimpBIKES
18-02-2007, 08:57 AM
just before the kat got defected (2 days b4 actually)
i was in the line to go through the sydney tunnel

the thing got that hot that the clutch just stopped working!
shoulda seen there faces when i had to dump it off the line once i rolled down the hill to give them my change :D

so would i need a cooler if i went a bit over chalk?
how does it work, wouldnt u need a pump or somthing to get the oil through it?

18-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Yeah, definitely go the cooler.
You can grab a standard cooler from an EF (or a later model Kat if I remember correctly). It fits in between the 2 fins underneath the fairing. You will need the oil filter cover from the EF though, as it has bits on it to split the flow of oil into the cooler/oil lines, rather than just straight up the oil lines.
The standard oil pump will handle the load, but if you're doing a 'hot' motor, look at using the 750 oil pump, it's higher pressure/flow than the 1100, due to not being a roller bearing bottom end. Bolts straight up.

fimpBIKES
18-02-2007, 12:26 PM
thats definitely one of the things im looking forward to when i do the kat

nothing like working on 25yr+ bikes
all the mods are proven :D

18-02-2007, 12:32 PM
There's a lot of pleasure to be had in beefing up your own motor, changing suspension and this and that (as if it needs saying on this forum), that the over-the-counter buyers never get to experience. Poor saps[^]

And knowing that the mods are proven is just a bonus. :D

Tony Nitrous
19-02-2007, 05:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by chalk10

Looks like I've got one of these coming in a month or so, $2000, so price is good.

Have been looking, and it does have a nice torquey GSXR1127 motor in it (this one is apparently in top condition). And a traditional looking cradle frame.

I remember reading somewhere... OSS? that some of the early
(or better 7-11's) were built using an F motor.

19-02-2007, 07:30 AM
Good to hear. :D

TurboKat
19-02-2007, 07:45 AM
Nice work Chalk, got yourself a powerhouse powerscreen motor there, they're a bit like the Bandit & RF engines in that they're tuned for REAL road usable power & torque...... & you know the best bit???? It's a GSX engine. [8D];)
Stick it in a Kat mate, it's a dead easy conversion & you just know it makes sense. [:p]

kevkatana
19-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Whack a set of 38mm carbs off a GSXR750 L and K&N's and it'll go like stink.

21-02-2007, 07:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by turbokat

Stick it in a Kat mate, it's a dead easy conversion & you just know it makes sense. [:p]

Fuck it does, don't it.

unkl.bob
28-02-2007, 03:59 PM
I had a 1100gsx (1983 model) which we took out to 1327 with a wiseco kit, ivan tighe cams and a dynojet kit. Purchasing (hopefully next week) an 82 gsx1100 and plan to do the same. With no other mods (except for barnetts clutch kit as i broke 2 standard clutches in the space of 10 days) this thing was good for 10.7 quarters.

Gix11
28-02-2007, 04:18 PM
Hey Bob. Welcome aboard mate. Do us a massive favour and post progress picks of this new project as it happens as there will be a lot of interested parties here I can tell you.

28-02-2007, 04:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by unkl.bob

I had a 1100gsx (1983 model) which we took out to 1327 with a wiseco kit, ivan tighe cams and a dynojet kit. Purchasing (hopefully next week) an 82 gsx1100 and plan to do the same. With no other mods (except for barnetts clutch kit as i broke 2 standard clutches in the space of 10 days) this thing was good for 10.7 quarters.

Yeah, this is the later generation bike, late 87' onwards, with a GSXR motor. It's the sports touring model with the dicky electric windscreen.
And definitely show us your pics, big fan of the air-cooled gsx's I am.

unkl.bob
28-02-2007, 07:46 PM
thanx for the welcome and will definately be posting pix. What good areas to ride around melbourne? Grew up in tasmania riding targa course flat out gsx1327 vs rgt500 (in rgv 250 frame). Wish digital cameras were around then would have some AWESOME PICS.

28-02-2007, 09:41 PM
the GSXF waws released as a Katana in USA. 600 750 an 1100 were all built from 88-96 but very few imported to Aus.Ive only seen 1 of the 11's in Aus,it was owned by a cop who was askin 7large for it.All the balls of a GSXR ,but a very comfortable lookin tourer.I beleive it has a shorter wheel base,higher seat height and about 2 degree's less steering head rake than the race bread R.It still runs clip-ons but the top yolk was about 3-4 inches higher than a Gixxer giving it that touring look.Deffinately make a good fighter project mate.