PDA

View Full Version : tricky painting Aluminium question

Redmohawk
15-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Ok peeps The desire is to polish some wheels but to a wire brushed finish then paint them with a clear red coat to give a look like the cheap aluminium drink bottles some of us are using for radiator catch cans sort of like a high gloss anodising effect.

My question is as I know aluminium is tricky to get paint to stick to long term, whats the best option for the effect I'm after? Is enamel paint the better option or 2 pack ? etc etc Let your wisdom fall apon my eyes oh wise ones.

RevHead
15-08-2010, 06:17 PM
make sure you use scotch brite pads and metho to rub the alloy back with then use a little yellow etch its almost clear like piss then add your colour then your clear,use 2 pak and make sure the alloy is warm ,use a heat gun to warm b4 u put on the etch primer cheers

Lewis Moto
15-08-2010, 06:36 PM
After spending all weekend polishing wheels to a mirror finish I applaud you for taking the better and easy way out.

Heres how I would do it.
1. strip the wheels bare of tyres, bearings etc
2. Apply paint stripper - 1L brush on is more aggressive and cost effective than aerosol.$20
3. Use a Josco ( brand name. Can be found at Bunnos or most tool stores ) nylon brush in your drill to brighten up the alloy. $12
4. Clean rag doused with Shellite to clean the surface - $4 at Bunnos also
5. VHT Annodized Look paint in a can. Its the only one I have found that looks like the cap on the can.($17 a piece and wil do both wheels). Sticks well and lasts. Chemical and heat resistant. Can also be cleared with VHT clear wheel paint for more depth and greater protection.

$55 and a sunday arvo seems a whole lot better than 20 hrs per wheel to get them mirror shiny.

Redmohawk
15-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Thanks Guys much apreciated! Been down the polish route in the past dont mind the work to get it right is no prob there, but the mantinance polishing to keep it just as nice is not a plan I wish to take! And Betty will always be an Ugly "mad max like" bike but that dont mean I cant dress her up a little.

The second project will have all the shiny bits and polishing to keep that obsessive rubbing side happy.

Redmohawk
17-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Well I went and priced all the gear both ways to do it , with minimum volumes the first option will work out to cost me about $200 in paint etc with a specific clear to prime then clear to mix with my candy red and top coat. And if I buy canned stuff single pac stuff about $50 but the quality of the paint will be lower (although the guy at the paint shop said the difference will be maginal and the cheaper stuff will mark easyer but will be less likley to chip!) So I'm going with the second option see how it turns out with VHT !