PDA

View Full Version : longer throttle cables?

crazymofo
13-08-2010, 07:50 AM
gday folks,

finally going the way of renthals on the K4 1000 fighter, but need to fit longer throttle cables.. anyone know where i can get some, either made or predone? prefer it in brisbane area, but dont mind if its interstate.

if a set from a diferent bike work, im happy to do that too. ie. bandit items or something.

thanks guys

cheers.joe.

Gitzy
13-08-2010, 08:38 AM
Hey Joe, we put ABM superbike bars on my mates K4 1000, they had a slightly bigger bend than my renthal fatties and we rerouted the stock throttle cables and had no issues at all, full lock either way without cable stretch.. I'll find pics for you when I get home..

but on another note

streetfighterstore.co.uk have premade lenthened cables, some are not listed in there shop but you could ask..

I got my extended clutch cable for R1 from them no dramas, not the fastest post but excellent product..

cheers

Gitzy
13-08-2010, 08:40 AM
http://www.streetfighterstore.co.uk/fatbar_comfort_kit_+_handlebars/327#price

this was the kit he got for his K4

Info we got.. (we thought we needed lengthened cables too)

"Please note: If certain parts or original cables are not listed it means they are not required for this conversion, cables not listed can be rerouted using the diagram included in the top yoke packaging!"

Hillsy
13-08-2010, 08:41 AM
Have you tried re-routing them on the near side of the headstock? Worked on my ZX9 with the stock cables (had to "spin" the throttle housing on the bars a tad).

Or you could use bicycle brake cables. They're the same gauge. I did that on my XT500. 2 cables from KMart was like $8. You do need to solder a new nib on one end though.

EDIT: Gitzy ninja'd me :(

crazymofo
13-08-2010, 09:00 AM
thanks guys i'll try re-routing them tonight

todd, if you can still get me that pic of how you re-routed, that would be much appreciated.

cheers.joe.

crazymofo
13-08-2010, 09:33 AM
todd, checked your riser thread, and saw the pics of the reloacted cables... i saw you ran them behind the headstock and just infront of the tank, .....no go for me, i have a top mount damper in my way :(

cheers.joe.

Gitzy
13-08-2010, 10:17 AM
I am zee ninja Hillsy, heee yah

Well thats a bummer Joe.. if you can't find a nakey bike with same cables but longer (like you said earlier, bandit bking etc) could you take your stock throttle cables to a clutch and cable shop, and get them to duplicate, but the length you require.. I've heard of that done before..

fimpBIKES
13-08-2010, 12:03 PM
maybe try a local bike shop
i had some made up by taking my tlr in at greame morris in newy
they had a kit for making custome one, cost me bugger all

zx12argh
13-08-2010, 12:35 PM
I had a mate up the sunny coast get some made. If you have no luck rerouting I'll get the details for you.

livewire
13-08-2010, 02:18 PM
When I put throttle bodies on Kat I used carby cables from 95 or 96 750 gixxa. ( the model that came out with both carbies or injection)
Carbies pull from left side, injection on the right.

puppet
13-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Take the damper off. I had an 03 and an 06 fightered and did track days without, and never had any problems.

15-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Try Cablemate in Tassy
They can make any cable that pushes,pulls or turns.
Bones

Jup
16-08-2010, 04:47 AM
http://www.speedscreen.com.au/

Give these guys a call.

wackyrider
16-08-2010, 10:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by Jup

http://www.speedscreen.com.au/

Give these guys a call.

That's where I got mine done. But they're in Vic