PDA

View Full Version : Legality of Tradesman made Aluminium Fuel Cell

fimpBIKES
10-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Just wondering if anyone has ever tried to get anything registered with an aluminium fuel cell
something like this...

http://www.modyourcar.com.au/rci-aluminum--fuel-cell--15-gallon-with-sender-natural-p5718

it would be covered by bodywork, but im worried that it could be a problem either at rego or at a trackday inspection

anyone got any experience here?

cheers

oldskool
10-08-2010, 01:24 PM
In Vic I have written RWC and reg'd bikes with aloy fuel tanks and never had a problem.

StuNVA
10-08-2010, 04:00 PM
You see em on the drag cars

Tony OW31
10-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Just had a word with the blokes in the performance car place next door, they have a commodore with that exact tank in it, in Queensland there is no problem with roadworthys, may be different in other states tho'
If you are thinking of getting one of those, the quality looks pretty ordinary.

Iceman
10-08-2010, 06:44 PM
My gs has an 8 litre mild steel fuel cell, (well that is if it hasn't rusted away since April, honestly I haven't looked). Unless the fake tank is removed no-one would know.

sharky
10-08-2010, 06:51 PM
8 litres...blimey mate....you could ride round the car park for hours....;)[B)]

80s freak
10-08-2010, 10:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by sharky

8 litres...blimey mate....you could ride round the car park for hours....;)[B)]

Only if it actually run... hahaha.

hyofighter
10-08-2010, 11:19 PM
i know a mate had trouble here in WA trying to get a fuel cell passed in his car , it was all to do with venting , emissions control of the fumes from the tank and the mounting of it , in the end he took it out got the car passed and put it back in

Zooks
11-08-2010, 10:23 AM
I used to race speedway (cars) and we could have 'home made' fuel cells if we wanted, they just had to have the correct venting in case of a roll over. Basically it involved putting 3 coils in the fuel line coming out of the tank and the pick-up going right to the bottom of the inside of the tank to act as an air lock in case you parked on your lid. This set up was commonly referred to as a pigtail.

I know a lot of guys that have had similar tanks in their street cars (in NSW) with no problem. I can't see the difference between a tank like that and the big drop tanks that used to be so popular in A9X and SLR Toranas etc. Most of them were 'home made'.

http://www.shannons.com.au/library/images/auctions/F46UC0ML8GCY04A4_medium.jpg

fimpBIKES
11-08-2010, 12:31 PM
thanks blokes
this one will be made to suit the bikes frame, so it cant just be a box shape
trying to make it as simple as possible though since i'll be sending it out to get made

so from the sounds of it i shouldnt have too much trouble eh?
i'll do whatever venting regular bikes have, but not keen on any fancy pigtailing or anything like that

i think the only trouble i will have it that someone inspecting it might wonder why it has no fuel filler, which might lead to further questions

we'll see how it goes ;)
thanks all

latheboy
11-08-2010, 01:14 PM
How will you get fuel in if there's no filler?

Fight_fan
11-08-2010, 01:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by latheboy

It'l run on positive thinking & his own sense of self worth!

DiscoDan
11-08-2010, 01:51 PM
You could do something like this that looks like standard from the outside bit is actually a fibreglass shell over a Al fuel cell and keeps the original filler location. 300 pounds for these but only for the RVF400

http://bmcracing.blogspot.com/2009/01/new-rvf-lightweight-fuel-tank.html

fimpBIKES
11-08-2010, 09:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by latheboy

fuel cell will be under fibreglass bodywork, lift body to get to fuel ;)