PDA

View Full Version : DIY Pipe Bending ?

HOS
07-08-2010, 06:31 AM
Well exhaust tube bending tbh.

Got some stainless headers I want to realign myself, nothing major, just tweaking.

Thinking of using pipe bending springs like plumbers use.
With a bit of heat from a propane/butane gas lamp and some leverage?

Sound idea or bollocks ?

NoZ
07-08-2010, 06:36 AM
better off going to a pro bendy place HOS. Got to be one up near you.

sharky
07-08-2010, 07:25 AM
Small slice with a 1mm disc on the inside of the bend...When its tigged up it will pull in...
Thats what Ozzy1100 did to mine anyway...

07-08-2010, 02:00 PM
If you're really keen, fill with dry sand. Heat outside and bend.

Sand MUST be completely dry.

Jup
07-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Nice trick nitro! Getting springs in/out of some of some tubes can be a real PITA.

Redmohawk
07-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Sand bending is the way to go mate , block one end with a cork hammered in well (nice and tight) nice dry sand something not to fine or course (dry it in a bucket in oven first) fill tube and heat away bend a little , if its a bigger bend re pack sand a few times during the bend. Heat on the outside of bend and go slow. Or if its just a small shift go with sharkys way 1mm grinder disk and tig it back up polish and it will look good.

HOS
07-08-2010, 07:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by NoZ

better off going to a pro bendy place HOS. Got to be one up near you.

I would do NoZ but I`ve got to mess around bending bit by bit, offfering it up on the bike inbetween.

Its only cos I`m a tight get and hate paying others to do it :D

Since the recession everyones racked their prices up a lot !

HOS
07-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Spot on JUP, extracting the springs can be a pig.

Nitro and redmohawk, thanks yep the sand is looking favourite atm.

The headers are thin walled, maybe too thin. But thats what I`ve got
and they`re going on ;)

Got to get some new exhaust clamps made up in stainless, but I`ve CAD`d em up for a fabricator. I`ll be looking round next week for someone to make em.

Redmohawk
08-08-2010, 01:44 AM
If you want a real nice job with cold bends and no oxy you can get a cold melt alloy, melts at about 75 deg c just cap your pipe and melt the alloy in a pot sitting in boiling water pore it into pipe , let it cool. Once solid you can bend it with a pipe bender just like a solid bar once its all cold, dip it in boiling water again pore alloy back into container and you can re use it as often as you like , is about 75$ Aus a kilo for the alloy (alloy is heavy but not as heavy as lead) depending on pipe diametre might cost you a few pounds euro to get but can be reused as often as you like .

rock hard
08-08-2010, 01:47 AM
hey Redmohawk, where would you purchase this cold melt alloy ?

Redmohawk
08-08-2010, 09:51 AM
google "Cerro low melt alloys" and your local distributor will come up mate.

rock hard
08-08-2010, 06:20 PM
THANKS Adam