PDA

View Full Version : Acewell speedo, speed reading??

Ed74mnd
16-02-2007, 01:10 PM
GUys,

i'm using one of those neat Acewell Speedos.

when i accelerate the speed reading goes way off until i maintain a cruise speed again.

i understand the numbers should go nuts for abit but sometimes if i glance down it is clearly not reading what it should..

is this maybe just a prob of the magnet being too far away from the pick up?

or is this just normal for digital type guages.

otherwise a real nice unit to use.

Cheers

Ed

sharky
16-02-2007, 01:50 PM
I've got the rectangular unit and it reads steady up to 220k (on my private test track officer...)...as you say it might be the magnet too far away or not lined up right..

kroosn
16-02-2007, 02:15 PM
if you cant mount it closer try a stronger magnet, you can pick them up from alot of places. we had to put another magnet on zx12argh's bike after i accidently broke the original one fitting it. ohh well it works perfectly smooth so i shouldnt see why yours doesnt.

Kroosn

Ed74mnd
16-02-2007, 02:15 PM
thanks sharky,

think i can see the prob now.
ive got the pick up mounted so the magnet sweeps past the length of the pick up.
i will turn the pick up 90 degrees so it sweeps across the pick up.

i reckon the longer sweep opens (or affects) the reed switch for too long.

Cheers

Ed

Ed74mnd
16-02-2007, 02:18 PM
thanks for the tip too kroosn, i may need a longer magnet too. wheredyaget it?

the threaded bit of the magnet is a little short.

Cheers

Ed

jakam04
16-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Ive got the same speedo as sharky and they rock... Once I put mine on, I went to work and got the boys to bring out the radar and check my speed at 60, 80 then 100. The speedo was spot on.

I have my sensor quite close to my magnet (which is attached to my brake rotor) as pictured below.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e161/jakam04/Image029.jpg

Jarrod

Ed74mnd
16-02-2007, 03:13 PM
clever Jarrod,

in your pic see where you have the rotor bolts?
my rotor has spare holes in betwen so i put the bolt in there using a "nut sert" and superglued/cable tied the pick up it to the now obsolete speedo drive.
now to turn it 90 degrees like in your pic.
these units are great, even my fuel level works!

Cheers

Ed