PDA

View Full Version : Learner Legal StreetFighter Project

Dan O
06-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Hi Guys, I'm looking for my first bike atm and, of course, I wanna use it for a streetfighter project.
Has anyone got any suggestions on which learner legal bikes are good for a Streetfighter conversion? Are there any in particular that are easier to get parts for? I know Kawasaki are doing a Learner legal version of the ER-6N which I've got my eye on.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1281179750.jpg

Help much appreciated!!

Dan O.

BANDITROD
06-08-2010, 06:57 PM
welcome abaord mate and i reckon your on the right track ....realy any bike can be fightered if your good enough

Fight_fan
07-08-2010, 09:01 AM
How much of a challenge are u after? U could jst get urself a learner legal naked bike n bolt a few shiny bit to it, or find somethin with a fairing n strip it. Make a real 'fighter out not jst a pimped up factory naked... Ur call on how much time/money/effort u really feel like investing in a bike ur probably only gonna keep for a couple of years...
Oh n welcome!

Rocket
07-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Those er6's are a great bike to ride, especially if you're a short arse. But I'm over 6 foot and felt very comfortable riding one that i borrowed a couple of years back.

I think they look good too.

Like Fight Fan, my advice is not to get heavily into modding a nice late model learner bike like that though.
Generally learner bikes are only kept for the learner period and then you step up to a full power bike. Any investment you make in the bike won't be reflected in the price you get when you sell it. It could even make the bike worth less!

Change the bars, mirrors and fit a muffler, but save the fightering for something you will keep. By that time you'll have been around here long enough to get some idea's and contacts as well.

RevHead
07-08-2010, 04:03 PM
welcome on bloke

Redmohawk
07-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Mate the er-6 learner legal bike is just the non leagal one with a throttle stop on the throttle plate down on the butterflys , the stopper is a blind bolt/screw with 1 min and a pair of good pliers its a big power gain ! So is a great little bike learner legal ID and almost double the HP lol

oldskool
07-08-2010, 06:29 PM
VFR400 would make a fuckin ace fighter just take all the Honda badges off it!
Or maybe a ZXR400 or even a GSXR400

Nudie
07-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Wow 6 replies and no one flamed you for not introducing yourself first.
Your lucky, welcome along.

wackyrider
07-08-2010, 08:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by Nudie

But that's cos he's not trying to sell shit.

welcome mate

oldskool
07-08-2010, 09:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by wackyrider

quote:Originally posted by Nudie

But that's cos he's not trying to sell shit.

welcome mate
And his cock is clean.

DiscoDan
07-08-2010, 10:37 PM
another vote for the VFR400; dirt cheap, comes with a SSA already and makes that noise

Redmohawk
08-08-2010, 02:14 AM
Shit didn't even notice that , slipping haha mate better go over to the intro thread and post something up there internet hero's out there lol

hooligan
08-08-2010, 09:16 PM
I don't think the vfr400 is learner legal, I think it's the rvf 400 that is.

Dan O
09-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Sweet, Thanks guys! Sorry about no intro, I'll post one now.

VFR400 definately looks like a winner (plus a bit cheaper is probably better), Let the hunt begin!

DiscoDan
09-08-2010, 12:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by hooligan

I don't think the vfr400 is learner legal, I think it's the rvf 400 that is.

I beleive you're right there. One of those silly glitches in LAMs law. I guess you'll need to use an RVF then :) A bit more expensive but a much better front end and a 17" rim

fimpBIKES
09-08-2010, 12:39 PM
400 bandit if you can find one
i like the er6n too, and they are getting cheap 2nd hand already :)

DiscoDan
09-08-2010, 01:01 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v158/203/116/571571239/n571571239_438007_8530.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs259.ash1/18641_305946812610_87323827610_4006877_2511168_n.j pg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs259.ash1/18641_305946817610_87323827610_4006878_2732018_n.j pg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs159.snc3/18641_305965442610_87323827610_4006928_2434992_n.j pg
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww172/PhantomsDeath/rvf400002.jpg

Seifer
09-08-2010, 01:36 PM
My opinion is don't waste your time or money on doing anything to your learner legal bike. Ur not going to have it for long so you want to be able to sell it easily when it comes time to upgrade.... unless your planning on having it for good then i'd just sit tight for now.
Save ur $'s for when you get your big litre

nick76
09-08-2010, 02:33 PM
I agree with Seifer,dont waste ur cash on a learner legal bike.
Spend ur money on something like a motard instead,learn on that,costs nothing if you drop it.
Besides,they'll probably have more grunt to them anyway.

Dan O
09-08-2010, 02:45 PM
But I wanna StreetFighter NOW!!!!! *stamps feet*

Yeah good call guys, my brother in law actually has a Motard he never rides which I might be able to use for a year while I get some practice hrs in, then I can save my funds for the big Guns when i hit my blacks! Just impatient to get started I guess.

So is it true you can no longer go straight from your L's to your P's if you have your full Car License?

Redmohawk
09-08-2010, 05:09 PM
3 months on your L's then onto your P's for a year if you have your full car licence dont have to display your p's though but 00 for drink ride , and no pillion for the year then full licence . Was what mate was told here in shep 2 weeks ago.

Gitzy
09-08-2010, 05:12 PM
From RTA NSW

"You must hold a learner's licence for a minimum period of three months before you can get a provisional licence."

"then riders will stay on a provisional licence for a minimum of three years with the same P1 and P2 phases as car drivers."

“They must then be on a P1 provisional licence for a minimum of 12 months before applying for a full licence,”

“The minimum three year period on a provisional licence will raise the age for getting an unrestricted rider licence from 18 to 20.

“The provisional P1 phase will be a requirement of all riders, regardless of age but there WILL be an exemption from the P2 phase for riders over 25 who also hold an unrestricted car driver licence.

Redmohawk
09-08-2010, 05:16 PM
You could always pick up a cheap 600 say pre 1990 and fighter it ,something not so popular so its cheap, I did the GPX picked it up cheap cops dont care is not lams mate rides it on occasion with his p's up and they pulled him over asked what it was told em old kwaka 600 they asked how old he said 89 there didnt bother him. Is a risk but for a bike that will cost you under $2500 fightered if you find something similar at the right price and do the work yourself. And you will get most of your money back if you sell it later, still reg roadworthy. And a hell of a lot quicker than a lams bike.

Rocket
09-08-2010, 07:58 PM
How about you borrow the Motard, use the money you would have spent to buy the LAMS bike on a crashed Gixer 600 or 750 and start your fighter build now.
By the time you've done your time and got your big banger license, your new pride and joy will be finished and you'll be ready to rock the cappuccino strips to the applause of all the men and a shower of knickers from all the ladeeez.

At least, that's what happens when I ride MY bike.
But sometimes it's the other way around :(

Jinx
10-08-2010, 06:22 AM
Go with what Rocket said but not sure about the knickers. The Motard will be a blast to ride.

Dan O
10-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Good call Rocket! Yeah I'm itching to get my hands dirty so that sounds like best way to get started plus stay safe and financial all at once.

Thanks Heaps Guys!

Fight_fan
10-08-2010, 11:55 AM
WINNER!!! :D

Johnnie5
11-08-2010, 06:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by Seifer

My opinion is don't waste your time or money on doing anything to your learner legal bike. Ur not going to have it for long so you want to be able to sell it easily when it comes time to upgrade.... unless your planning on having it for good then i'd just sit tight for now.

i agree to a point

dont 'waste' money on your bike, that pretty much applies to any bike you buy

do things that are value for money and that can be reversed at time of offloading bike and can be used in future on other bikes or sold off again cue ebay 2nd hand stuff

and besides it gives you a little practice for later projects

Gix11
12-08-2010, 12:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by Johnnie5

quote:Originally posted by Seifer

i agree to a point

dont 'waste' money on your bike, that pretty much applies to any bike you buy

do things that are value for money and that can be reversed at time of offloading bike and can be used in future on other bikes or sold off again cue ebay 2nd hand stuff

and besides it gives you a little practice for later projects

I have to disagree with that. If you do a half arsed reversable job it will look like it (how many times have I had that conversation with guys on here?!?). Either "do it or don't" is the motto. Anybody here knows that you do not make money from building a Streetfighter, you do it for yourself and your pleasure, and like most things that are of that nature it costs money. If you are enjoying it and can afford it, you are not wasting money. If you're going to build a streetfighter look for the bike that fits the bill from the start, one that you will not be bored of later and one that you are prepared to keep and lose money on. If you're buying a bike that you know you will sell on and want to make as much money as possible, leave it as stock - simple. If you want to practise buy a cheap old tatty bike and work on that.

Redmohawk
12-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Indeed Gix generally you will always loose money on cars and bikes (unless very lucky) or if you start with crap and build custom parts yourself , you may make a little money if you do a good job, But the money to hour ratio is so bad you would never really make enough to justify doing it for the profit.

If it makes you feel good to ride and you like the look , money wasted is just part of the experiance lol.