PDA

View Full Version : Brisy to Sydney Coast Road or New England H/Way ?

MONO
06-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Well looks like I'm heading to Sydney to pick up a bike.

The big decision now is which way to go. Since I haven't been down to Sydney (from Brisbane) for some time, it would be good to get a current update on which way you guys think it is best to go.

Which way has the best roads conditions vs speed cameras, officer plods etc.

Would have liked to catch up with some of you guys but I only have the weekend to do it so it will be a quick trip !

Dick
06-08-2010, 04:48 PM
I'd go via the Pacific everytime. There are probably more speed cameras, but it's still quicker sticking to the speed limit on the Pacific than speeding on the New England. On a bike it's obviously a competely different story.

Hillsy
06-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Haven't been on the New England for a while, but I was down at Yamba last weekend and the roadworks at Ballina certainly pissed us off. Expect to add a good half hour just to get through Ballina now they are in the middle of building the bypass.

robmac
06-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Just drove to Sydney via the Pacific and it was relatively drama free. Keep an eye out for the traffic coppers that sit in their green highway patrol cars. They blend in very well with the centre fauna!!

To bypass Ballina take a right onto Tintenbar Rd, follow it for a klm or so then left onto Teven Rd. That will take you back onto the highway bypassing most of the crap.

MONO
06-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks Rob good call

Large
06-08-2010, 08:39 PM
http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/index.aspx

ALBI
06-08-2010, 08:39 PM
yeh mate dont go the newy unless ya a trucker !! to many on there and now they are on the pasific

MONO
06-08-2010, 10:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by Large

http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/index.aspx

Large been all over that site they don't tell which way LOL

MONO
06-08-2010, 10:54 PM
That's it I'm going coast thanks !!!

MTBEERWAH
07-08-2010, 04:15 PM
flip a coin,as long your riding,who cares

MONO
08-08-2010, 12:27 AM
Well we just got home. Brisbane to Sydney - Sydney to Brisbane. Left 11.20pm last night. Went the coast road, fantastic. Thanks for that short cut around Ballina. I also found one around Grafton called Centenary Way. ;)

Made me laugh on the way back as an ML passed me once, then short cut no. 1, it passed me again, so we also went short cut no. 2 then he passed me again. I really must have been pissing him off because he had to pass me three times and he still won't know how I got back in front of him twice. That must have taken off 15 mins to the trip at least.

Would definitely recommend the coast road, at least 30% is 110 kph. There is a shit load of cameras, but even more warning and only saw the same copper (in a green patrol) at the half way mark both times.

All said and done, down and back in 23.5 hours, including 6 stops, 7 pisses, 1 traveler and half an hour to load (the bike):D

Rocket
08-08-2010, 10:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by MONO
All said and done, down and back in 23.5 hours, including 6 stops, 7 pisses, 1 traveler and half an hour to load (the bike):D

hahaha. It's not a road trip wirthout a traveller !