PDA

View Full Version : heavy equipment recovery

336LJ
26-07-2010, 12:12 AM
does anyone here know of anywhere that does transport/recovery of heavy earth moving equipment? We have to move the 11ton dozer that has not been working for years, and maybe a 23tonne Excavator if we can't get it running and at least moving to get it out of the gulley its sunk into at the moment.
The clean up has begun and I would hate to see the things get cut up and sent to the scrap metal yard.

Redmohawk
26-07-2010, 12:21 AM
JUst a sujestion mate but if you get desperate can you hack into the drive hydrolics and piggy back a motor and pump to move it ? I realise it would be a big job as your not talking 20 hp brigs and stratton motor and pump but might get you out of a pickel?

el sammo
26-07-2010, 01:15 AM
you mite be suprised man a lot of old heavy diesel stuff can fire up reasonably easy even after sitting for ages,

at least if you get one going you can use it to move the other hahah cant loose!

Jockney Rebel
26-07-2010, 02:10 AM
sammos spot on if theyre decent engines
reds right too but youll need afuckin big power pack i did a garbage trucks lifter ]when i was at pirtek and the power pack we had was in the back of a ute ,it only just managed to pick up the single multistage ram
find the main output hose /pipe from the pump and hook that up
[you may be able to use the PTO from a sizeable tractor]

if that dont work
and your just moving it
hack into the four hoses under the floor near the slew motor you have 4 big uns and two small uns [case drains]you want the two pairs that go to each tracking motor [on a 23 tonner they ll be about 3/4 inch hoses maybe even 1"
on jap machines the ends will be BSP or JIC [ unless its a komatsu then their flat face KOM ends ]
yank machines are usually BSP or Cat flanges

it may just give you enough to wind up the tracking motors

FFS be careful tho 3000-5000psi wp AND UPTO 4 TIMES THAT IF THE RELIEF GETS STUCK
is what your working with

Jockney Rebel
26-07-2010, 02:11 AM
ill aks me bro hes in charge of your new airport tunnel hes bound to know of yer local stgo 1 2 and 3 trailer owners

rock hard
26-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Ahhh case drains.Jic fittings brings back all the memories of underground mining,i used to work all around lake maquarie in the powercoal pits loved it..

Nudie
26-07-2010, 12:04 PM
What about removing the track motors and winching/dragging 'em out?

Lake Mac Powercoal pits. That brings back memories. I did a fair bit of in seam directional drilling up there back in the '90s.

Redmohawk
26-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Fuck me the bigest shit i've played with is a few home made log splitters and a dingo or two lol but i know to be careful with high pressure hydrolics after watching a few hoses let go while swinging the shovel clearing crap outa trenches for a local irragation mob, especially when the back hoe drivers nick name was "Rooter" lol

26-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Just fill the gully.

336LJ
27-07-2010, 01:19 AM
I'll get some pics of the rusty old piles of shit.
The hardest one I think, cause I have no idea whats wrong with it, would be the 11 tonne dozer. the 23Tonne excavator will hopefully start after we give it a bit of TLC.
I'v already got some caps to block off the hydraulics for where one of the 2 rams to lift the main arm up should be.
I'll have a good look in the fuel tank, hopefully its not full of that algae shit (was sealed pretty good when we undid the bung to have a peek in) otherwise gotta rig up a dodgy tank.
If the batteries are still good I'll try get it started and hopefully be able to at least limp it up out of the shitty sink hole its in at the moment. might even be able to use it to tow the dozer, I just don't know how much damage will be done while its missing one of the rams. the seals on it were rooted and its been apart for the last 18 months and the inside of the cylinder is all rusty so it would all have to be rebuilt.

On my quest to find something to cap the hoses, I made the mistake of asking someone at a plumbing shop, who suggested ag/pvc pipe! Yeah.. its got about 5000psi or some shit going thru it .. "oh.. I see, thats not going to work is it"

Jockney Rebel
27-07-2010, 02:45 AM
morry your as bad as me youve been all over the place causin havoc lol
LJ the cylinders probably toast if its been exposed to the elements that long
get hold of yer local hose bloke and do a deal with him for some cashies he ll have all the caps and shit youll need or just get a double ender and loop the hoses

Shadowzone
27-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Call my ate Magoo aka Bobby. He does heavy haulage. phone him on 0407250708 tell him Stu said to call and he'll either be able to do it or know the lads who can.

rock hard
27-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Hey LJ,the little i did learn about hydraulics mate be FUCKIN CAREFULL when you cap off pressure lines. seen some big fuck ups as you know you cant compress fluids and the pressure builds and builds take jims advice and get someone to look at it..and yes jim done lots of different things over the years,keeps life interesting and also the fact that ive been working since 1974..thats 36 fuckin years..fuck im getting old...

Jockney Rebel
28-07-2010, 03:51 AM
give me a bell and ill walk you through it

and yeah mrry im gettin old too mate lol

rock hard
28-07-2010, 08:43 AM
Yeah Jimmy, it sucks but its only the body thats old .in my head we are just a couple of likley lads..

Jockney Rebel
28-07-2010, 01:06 PM
lol yep ...[btw i remember the tv show lol ]

336LJ
28-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Yeah I'm a bit hesitant on this one, the bob cat was bad enough when I had to cap the lines that open and close the bucket, so I could raise the arms up to actually GET to the lines to connect them. tried a dodgy cap on one line and forgot the lever was stuck open, so as soon as I started the bobcat up FAPOWWW!! TINGWhiiiiiiiiizzzzzz.. off it goes never to be seen again... if they were the same thread it would have helped tho hehe.
heres pics of the excavator.
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1280242626.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1280282026.jpg

If anyone is interested in this thing give me a yell. best offer will get it as its being sold as part of the deceased estate. I just want to make sure it can move so we can get it out of that asshole spot its in.

Nudie
29-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Cut it up for scrap. They were shit 20 years ago, cant imagine it would be any better now.

el sammo
29-07-2010, 09:32 PM
add some armour plating and guns!!! that would be sik

Large
29-07-2010, 09:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by el sammo

add some armour plating and guns!!! that would be sik

Yeah Do a Killdozer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24n77GgRtrw

336LJ
30-07-2010, 01:01 AM
I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered doing that to the dozer! pity that guy was so keen he cooked the engine! amateurs!
Some kind of massive megatron like gun on the excavator would be rad too.

336LJ
30-07-2010, 01:06 AM
quote:Originally posted by Nudie

Cut it up for scrap. They were shit 20 years ago, cant imagine it would be any better now.

well there was never a problem with this one in the time I saw it working apart from how fugly it was. but you are probably right. the seals went one after the other on those rams so I suspect crappy/contaminated oil, cheapo parts or just shit luck had something to do with it.

el sammo
30-07-2010, 02:48 AM
yeh!!!! rock on just like that but with more guns and even more metal music!!!!!! rock on!!!

Jockney Rebel
31-07-2010, 05:07 AM
looks like an old FH230 or an EX230 not sure but its definitely pre 1980... and yer in luck cos the the dipper cylinder and the crowd cylinder are closed the rods should be ok the boom cylinder rod looks fairly good too [youll probably fuck the seals as soon as they move tho] ...the pins will probably be seized in the tipper link and the end of the dipper arm too
.has it got a little computer near the left hand joy stick for controlling the load rate and engine rpm? you could break it and get a fair few dollars for the parts or check out someone who collects em [yes they do exist .....ecavator anaoraks ...]

336LJ
31-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Well so far the news on having them towed out isn't good. the 11 tonne dozer is in a bitch of a spot and we had a bloke come out and he said "shit you guys are keen". We are going to try start the excavator up tomoro providing the batteries are okay (probably aren't. but are charging at the moment)
Hoping if it DOES go we can get it to drag its sorry ass, and maybe even the dozer if it free wheels up the top of the hill.
Otherwise. has anyone got any mates with a chinook who would like the practice? cause thats the only way they are moving unless they get cut up!

you reckon the boom will be able to be raised with just the one cylinder on it? Don't want to go digging with it or anything, might even try knock the bucket off it

Have a guy in vic who had a float and another dozer or excavator ready to come take the lot but he didn't realise how far away we are. Said he is going to try drive up at some stage.

The dozer is one of these.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeR5rUiJ2l8
but a bit older, M2 model, has a big weird looking power control unit on the back, with what looks like brake drums and cables to lift the blade.

They may all end up in the scrap heap but cause I like my old shit and know theres probably someone out there who wants to restore this kind of thing we are trying to do what we can to avoid that in the next week or so. Don't have much time left to clean the place up tho now.

336LJ
31-07-2010, 10:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by Jockney Rebel

looks like an old FH230 or an EX230 not sure but its definitely pre 1980... and yer in luck cos the the dipper cylinder and the crowd cylinder are closed the rods should be ok the boom cylinder rod looks fairly good too [youll probably fuck the seals as soon as they move tho] ...the pins will probably be seized in the tipper link and the end of the dipper arm too
.has it got a little computer near the left hand joy stick for controlling the load rate and engine rpm? you could break it and get a fair few dollars for the parts or check out someone who collects em [yes they do exist .....ecavator anaoraks ...]

I'm no too sure about a computer at all, as far as I know its got a lever that controls the engine rpm. we have a workshop manual for it but it doesn't specify the exact model that I could see.
I'll check it out in the morning tho.
I'm predicting a slight chance of death, or death related symptoms coming from what we are attempting tomoro - should be a good day!

Jockney Rebel
01-08-2010, 01:12 AM
phils mates got a Centurion tank ill be playing with soon that fuckers got a 27litre V12 in it lol dont think the rta would be too happy about us tracking it all the way up to you tho at 35mph lol

Jockney Rebel
01-08-2010, 01:15 AM
the dozer looks real old mate [is a cat ?]looks similiar to a D3 im telling you get intouch with some of those collector geezahs mate theyll have it off ya [there nutters] one bought an old Jake 3cx off me mate for a bag of sand a few years ago and it was fucked

Shadowzone
01-08-2010, 07:52 PM
27l V12? Detroit perhaps? 1200hp?

336LJ
02-08-2010, 12:51 AM
quote:Originally posted by Jockney Rebel

the dozer looks real old mate [is a cat ?]looks similiar to a D3 im telling you get intouch with some of those collector geezahs mate theyll have it off ya [there nutters] one bought an old Jake 3cx off me mate for a bag of sand a few years ago and it was fucked

nah mate its a Brittish built Fowler Challenger 3 - built between 1950 and 1956 I believe. I think these are "D6 Size"

Heres the pics of the rusty old pile, and the original sales brochure which is one of only a few pieces of information I have been able to find. An old tractor enthusiast sent it to me.
Got blokes ringing up from all over the joint wanting to come have a look. If you look behind the dozer in the first pic, you can get an idea of the hill this thing has to be pushed up (the camera makes it look alot closer, but the trees at the top are about 200m away, and you can't see the gully it has to go through first.
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1280703633.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1280735264.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1280685857.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1280750784.jpg

el sammo
04-08-2010, 01:08 AM
howd you go? are you unable to reply to this due to being stuck under a rampaging excavator with a stuck throttle? haha

336LJ
05-08-2010, 10:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by el sammo

howd you go? are you unable to reply to this due to being stuck under a rampaging excavator with a stuck throttle? haha

ahahah - not yet, but thats the exact reason I have been putting it off lately.
double triple checking everything, hopefully we get er fired up and running at least to drag its sorry arse out where we can get to it easier, If the radiator doesn't leak too fast we are going to try use it to pull the dozer up the hill. I'll be taking video tho (just incase I die and no one believes I was that stupid) Fingers crossed I can at least move that boom enough to tuck the bucket it and make it slide a bit easier