spart666
23-07-2010, 01:59 AM
picked up a 636 radial set of forks
954 wheel using 636 spindel
also got the yokes for the 636

bike its going on gsxr1100n fighter

having a chat the original idea was to sell off my billet yokes
use the stem get another set of yokes made up slap it in

however recon we can sleve the yokes to fit in the forks (would really like to keep the original thug yokes) and space out the discs

what do you think ?what probs could i come up against?
anyone tried doing something similar?
heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp:shock:

scotty
23-07-2010, 08:04 AM
i have never tried to space out forks on yolks and dont know if i would feel safe doing it.

fimpBIKES
23-07-2010, 08:23 AM
how thick a shim are we talking about here?

Redmohawk
23-07-2010, 09:32 AM
Shimming the trees for forks if done right is no issue mate, a set of turned collars wont move and look just dandy if done right, ,make em outa ally and you can even anodise em if you want to make something a little different.

nick76
23-07-2010, 09:51 AM
If they slip under heavy braking,they're not gonna get past your handlebars,so long as you dont still have the clip-ons!!.
Like Redmohawk said,if they're done right,shouldn't be a prob.The anodise thing is a good idea aswell.

Redmohawk
23-07-2010, 10:00 AM
You can machine em with a lip so they cant slip or machine a small cruve into the tripples on the inside and put a matching ridge on the spacers to lock them in place , if the two are small it wont affect the tripples being used witht he original fork tubes in the future also. If you mate em outa ally solid ring with a slit to match your tripples they shouldnt move anyhow, and can be hidden with good machining.

hooligan
23-07-2010, 12:04 PM
I had it done like that on my 711. I originally had a complete front end off a 91 model 1100, after a while I wanted to put later model forks with radial brakes. The 04 gsxr 1000 forks were a bit smaller diameter than the old 1100 ones, exben made a .5mm shim for the top and a 1mm for the bottom, and it became a fairly straight swap.

No probs with them moving, on trackdays, road riding or poorly executed wheelies and stoppies.
Doitdoitdoitdoit.

fimpBIKES
23-07-2010, 03:28 PM
not necessary to machine them either IMO
on the TLR the top clamp fits fine, but the lower has 0.5mm sheet cut into a shim
stick it out the ends of the clamp by a mm or two and just bend up some little "dilbrys"
that'll stop them sliding out when you are trying to fit up the forks ;)

spart666
24-07-2010, 06:44 AM
looks like i get to keep my yokes then
thanks guys