PDA

View Full Version : Guard dogs (continued)

336LJ
20-07-2010, 09:12 PM
allrighty, finally! after a bit of a bad experience with our last attempt at giving a dog a home (had issues with my 15month old kid - so back it went)
I drove just over 1100k's in one day to pick this feller up.
5 month old pup
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1279667410.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1279692488.jpg

with the mother
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1279720109.jpg

and this is the father..
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1279695225.jpg

I'm just wondering - due to the probability that someone will pinch him from my yard if he wanders too close to the front fence, or under it, or someone jumps in while no one is home, etc, how the heck I can be sure the thing is going to stay in the yard and not go running around the neighbourhood, the last 2 asshole dogs I had kept me busy at work on night shift taking complaint calls from our neighbours cause they got out and lead my older dog around through the neighbourhood causing havoc. more so when I leave for work of an afternoon, and while I'm at work and the family is asleep. Is there any sure fire way to get in early and keep a dog from having that "escape fetish"? seems impossible when they are doing it while you aren't able to bust them in the act.

My older dog on his own, won't budge even with the gate left open, we are on 5 acres but the fences are shit, the dogs can just push under them.
I'v got a big ass pen set up taking up half of the back yard and lock the pup up of a night with something to chew on to keep him amused, but will be back at work eventually soon (end of the week) and having to lock him up earlier in the day, and for longer which I personally fucking hate cause I like my dogs out and able to kill.. i mean.. alert me or my family to.. potential danger..[8D]

You chaps with your experience got any ideas? I tend to do a lap or 2 around the perimeter of our yard when I get home at midnight with my old dog just to keep him up and alert and doing his job and amused mostly cause I sleep all day so its the only time I get to interact with the things, otherwise the fat shit sleeps all night. I figured this might be a good thing to show the new dog too? or am I wasting my time? I figured while its too early to hope that he's a big mean and scary guard dog, I also think locking him up each night would drive him to that escape fetish (For lack of a better word).. so I'm not sure which way to go
pretty awesome animal in the last few days I'v had him and seems quite intelligent, fuckin thing shits like a rhino but.. goddamit..

you chaps weren't lying when you told me about the ridgeback temperament. absolutely amazed me having seen it for real. which is why I'v been so determined to get in and start with a good dog

Gitzy
20-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Mate let me say that is a beautiful looking pup.. He's gonna be awesome.. as for yard, I got not clues.. I got a little over 700m squared of lush grass and 6 foot colorbond fences all round so my 4 stay put no matter how much they want to get out.. good luck, and I hope he's alot better than the last one with your youngin..

Redmohawk
21-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Looks like a god dog mate , I love the ridge backs good breed. I find wandering is mostly from boardom, fixing em helps to , no nuts and they don't want to go root around lol. A few bones toys are a great way to help a pup settle and sort his teath, better to chew the things you give him than your shit you want kept tooth free lol. Also a hot wire from a small electric fence about depth of chest hight works a treat at stopping doggies going over or under the fence, if he goes under it hits him on the back of the sholders or head and if he trys to go over he will prob put his paw on it . Though they do jump real well and it wont stop that lol

The idea of walking him with the older dog around the yard sounds good to if your older dog has good habbits with luck it will pick them up to.

JackTar
21-07-2010, 11:46 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SD2100-Dog-Containment-Fence-Aust-Approved-A-C-M-A-/250658240099?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item3a5c653663

21-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Perimeter fence electrified . . .

They're smart dogs, he'll soon learn.

JackTar
21-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Don't think you can have an electric fence in a suburban home, that's why the old proximity collar that has an electrode in it is the way to go, I had a 600 dollar one for my dogs unfortunately I had to get rid of it as the Beagle was so fucking stupid it just stood there getting shock after shock, didn't have the common sense to move away from the wire.

Gitzy
21-07-2010, 01:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by JackTar

the Beagle was so fucking stupid

I concur X 2

Tony OW31
21-07-2010, 01:58 PM

Don't think you can have an electric fence in a suburban home, that's why the old proximity collar that has an electrode in it is the way to go, I had a 600 dollar one for my dogs unfortunately I had to get rid of it as the Beagle was so fucking stupid it just stood there getting shock after shock, didn't have the common sense to move away from the wire.

You can have an electric fence where he lives, it's semi rural like where I am.
I did the same thing re the electric fence when I had a staffy, stupid thing got shocked by it so promptly set about 'killing it' by trying to chew through the tape, had it in his mouth and ragged the fuck out of it whilst squealing the whole time, managed to do it tho'

21-07-2010, 03:33 PM
You admit to owning a beagle? Who are ya gonna blame for that?

JackTar
21-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Haven't got it anymore, the missus already had it when she and I hooked up and I already had the staffy, now we have the staffy and a shephard. Gave the beagle to a mate of mine who had a couple and wanted another, he had already beagle proofed his yard, I couldn't be fucked doing it everytime the Navy moved me.

336LJ
23-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Well my next option would be to roll out all this mesh I have bought and build a decent house yard. If start pickets weren't so fucking expensive.. I'd have done it by now. but I'm holding off at the moment incase we move anyway.. I like the shock collar idea cause I have the young feller who loves playing outside and wouldn't want him rolling around in the wet grass then grabbing hold of the electric fence!.. I mean the collar for the dog not for the kid..... :D

The animal control people around here patrol more than the cops do its fucked.
I think I'll check these collars out incase we don't move and if we do well they better have good fences!
Now I just need a ute - stinky fucks in the back of the van!

Tony OW31
23-07-2010, 09:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by 336LJ

Well my next option would be to roll out all this mesh I have bought and build a decent house yard. If start pickets weren't so fucking expensive.. I'd have done it by now. but I'm holding off at the moment incase we move anyway.. I like the shock collar idea cause I have the young feller who loves playing outside and wouldn't want him rolling around in the wet grass then grabbing hold of the electric fence!.. I mean the collar for the dog not for the kid..... :D

I think I'll check these collars out incase we don't move and if we do well they better have good fences!

I've got a few star pickets you can have, I'll have a look tonight see how many there are.

JackTar
23-07-2010, 09:48 AM
The best thing about the collar ones (well the ones I had which were $600)is that they make an audible noise when they get within a certain distance of the boundary so that they know if they don't move to a position where there is no noise coming from the collar they are going to get a shock (literally)

Redmohawk
23-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Yeah The shock collars are great with a dog with some brains, they learn real fast beep means back off lol Is a great way to keep em where you want em a little pricy but prob works ot ok compared to running a real fence anyhow. After a while they just know where there alowed to go to so the coller doesnt need to be used much. Next door at my old place had one but it was around $1200 from memory , was afew years back now though.

JackTar
23-07-2010, 10:10 AM
quote:Originally posted by Redmohawk

means back off lol

Definitely doesn't mean this, my dogs didn't find it funny at all.

336LJ
23-07-2010, 11:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tony OW31

I've got a few star pickets you can have, I'll have a look tonight see how many there are.

that would be awesome mate. I had resorted to ripping down some old fencing out at a mates place but most the pickets were rusted at the bottom.. things cost about 12 bucks each new. I have just enough to make the temporary pen so if I could collect some, buy of ebay, swap for beer or cash etc I'd be in business. So far I havn't had a dog yet that won't get bored and start digging anyway I do try my best to keep em entertained when I can.
I think there is a point where a pup realises.. fuck this I'm going to go try kill or hump things. I hate wandering nuisance dogs

We used to have these fuckwit malamutes or whatever they are from a street over that used to come in of a night and shit in our front yard. I caught one in the act from up on my porch so I cracked it fair in the head with the sling shot. it just pinched it off and waddled into the next door neighbours yard where I cracked it again.. they actually used to cross the road after that to go past my house haha.

Last time my dogs went wandering was with the other ridgeback. she came back buy I could hear my older dog going off stuck way over the back in someone elses property near their dam.. spent a good 4 hours starting at 2am waiting for the BOOM!

JackTar
24-07-2010, 07:09 PM

I cracked it fair in the head with the sling shot. it just pinched it off and waddled into the next door neighbours yard where I cracked it again..

Fuck me you're a tough guy mate, maybe you shouldn't have dogs at all anyway.

Shadowzone
24-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Go for the containment fence. I had a Staffy once who worked out if he ran at the friggin line he could be past the flags before he got the shock and only cop one or two before he was out of range. Fuck I miss him. Most dogs won't behave like that but like me he had a hard head and a stubborn streak and just wanted to shag or kill anything that moved.

HOS
24-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Staffies are cool.... tough as fuck !

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1280066570.jpg

Sees a wood pigeon on the fence down the garden, runs full tilt at it, leaps and only manages 1/2 way up the 6 foot panel, rams straight through into the neighbours garden. Had to stop that after a while it was getting expensive with new fence panels.

We are looking at a Malamute or maybe an Akita next.

336LJ
25-07-2010, 09:43 AM

I cracked it fair in the head with the sling shot. it just pinched it off and waddled into the next door neighbours yard where I cracked it again..

Fuck me you're a tough guy mate, maybe you shouldn't have dogs at all anyway.

I shot it with those hard plastic balls they give kids (for some reason) in slingshot packs. like a big hard paint ball. stings a whole bunch less than an electric fence. I know cause I shot my mate with it on many occasions, leaves a nice red mark tho. I'm a cunt but I'm not an unreasonable one. especially considering how slow it was going by the time it hit him.
I get no satisfaction in harming animals, but those little fuckers were too fast to catch and kick up the arse, or take to the useless drug fucked dickhead owner and have a chat about dog proofing his yard.