PDA

View Full Version : HELP ZX12R sub throttlebody actuator?

Arron_01r1
19-07-2010, 10:53 PM
having a little issue with my 05 zx12,

its giving me the fault code for the sub throttlebody actuator,
and also irregular noise from it during systems check[xx(], its been getting worse and now at times they wont work at all, ive been told a dud battery but i charged it, no difference,
its only done 3000kms and ive read that if it tests bad to replace it and the throttle assembly, at $1200 online price for OEM,
this bike is pristine cond, how can something so major and expensive seem to have shit itself?:(

has anyone had this happen?

Large
19-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Has the actuator been off the throttlebody? If it's not put back right it will be trying to turn the tbs which are already at their limit.

Can you take one of the square covers off and check the secondaries are opening/closing properly

Arron_01r1
19-07-2010, 11:14 PM
yeh ive had the tank off, sometimes they open and shut smoothly, and other day they chatter as they move, i got the bike with a 2000kms on it and onlt dealership hands had been on it, 2nd service and an a full akro system, in the begining it would only do it sometimes, now its all the time

Redmohawk
19-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Multi meter check everything , I'd be guessing if its intermitant its a dodgy conector or connection (solder joint etc someware) or shit in the tps dust etc I'm not sure the type of tps on the bike but most are now resistive types I think whick are sensitive and can dry out / go silly sometimes with water or dust . Can be cleaned out with some contact cleaner use switch contact cleaner from dick smith etc. But check for joint issues etc first.

Arron_01r1
19-07-2010, 11:52 PM
thanks!!! ill try all that, reminds me, at first it would go away after a warm up ride to get fuel, turn it on again and the light would be gone, fingers crossed hey, thanks guys!!

Booster
20-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Sub throttlebody actuator ?? is that Kawasaki's version of the secondary throttle blade controller ??
Could be a damaged gear internally if its already showing faults there will be no harm is pulling it apart and seeing if its something fixable , i have several suzuki (Keihin) 4 wire ones here if that helps

hyofighter
20-07-2010, 08:31 PM
is there any reason stopping you from taking them out ? , are they really needed ? , is there a kwaka mod to do this ? personally i know nothing about them but just thought that some one out there may know , im only guessing that there there to aid torque delivery

Arron_01r1
20-07-2010, 08:33 PM
yeh i think thats the term they use hey, id love to pull it apart and see how it works but was told by mack1 that they have to drop the motor to acsses it, the frame is the airbox so its a very tight fit, heard ya even have to just to change the plugs? should have bought a busa...

load tested the battery tonight, 12.7v static, and 10v loaded, so should be ok, 200 cold cranking amp is a little small for a big bike i thought tho?

gonna go through and check all connections, beer cold... workshop light warm, easy day at work tomorrow planned,

hyofighter
20-07-2010, 08:40 PM
dickie connection , broken wire , dry solder joint , maybe forget beer try rum usually works for me things end up fixed or fucked

Arron_01r1
20-07-2010, 09:24 PM
soon as i lifted the tank, all better, seems to be fixed, re routed a few wires, tidy up my PC installation, rushed! haha, might go for a burn, hope power wheelie police arnt around, pokie as fark wid the right tune haha

Redmohawk
21-07-2010, 09:41 AM
I'd have a poke around your conector plugs mate , use a pair of long nose to give the pins just a little tweek and push em back together will prob sort the issue permantly by the sounds of it .

Arron_01r1
21-07-2010, 07:27 PM
still fucked!! cant be bothered with it anymore, take it in friday to have it looked at,

Redmohawk
22-07-2010, 05:20 PM
That sux mate , I really hate intermittant faults shit me to tears.

Arron_01r1
22-09-2010, 08:09 PM
after weeks of smooth sailing, my problem is back, and getting worse, fired right up this morn with no prob 56km country highway trip to work beautiful, go to start it at lunch..... turn the key FI light on, hit the starter and no ignition and FI light blinking, code check gave me a '62' finally got it to start, sub throttles not opening, then whack half way through 2nd gear it comes good and up the back wheel we went, hours later its still seems to be fine,

so thinking the servo motor is shitty
ya cant just buy the motor, have to buy whole set of throttle bodies including injectors, wiring, fuel rail...
MACK1 kwacka quote $3500 plus fitting....

found a second hand set avaliable at a good price,

or should i just remove the bflies leave the shaft there and gat it remaped?? love this bike but im ready to kick fuck out of it hey

ive had all the connections tested and it seemed fine, 2 months with out a problem,

zx12argh
22-09-2010, 08:31 PM
shit hey that sounds like all kinds of trouble...
good luck with the fix mate.

Arron_01r1
22-09-2010, 11:07 PM
cheers mate, need either luck or lighter fluid!! racing a mates vrod next weekend at the all bike drags here in perth, if its all he says it is, im in the mood to down grade to one, i promise i wont ever park it in your driveway scott hehe