PDA

View Full Version : Helmets and compliance stickers....

BillyWhizz888
18-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Worth a read

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/motorcyclesafety/motorcyclehelmets.html

Appently the law does not know what is going on, so print the page and keep it with you ;)

Redmohawk
18-07-2010, 11:59 AM
The law being the cops? In regard to what that is going on mate? I thought the whole helmet deal was pritty straight forward Must have Aus sticker, must wear one lol.

Watto
18-07-2010, 12:19 PM
think he was getting at that it can be 1 of 4 stickers on ya lid from the the approved list of companies mate not just the aussie standards one which have found in the past this all the coppers look for and generally won't recongize the other 3

Swordsy
18-07-2010, 01:58 PM
All the stickers say the same thing, Certified to AS1698.

StuNVA
18-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Helmet standard
Could this also be interpreted that the sticker is not necessary if the helmet complies ??

An approved motor bike helmet is a protective helmet for motor bike riders of a type that:

Complies with Australian/New Zealand Standard AS/NZS 1698:2006 Protective helmets for vehicle users, as amended by Amendment No. 1 of 28 September 2007 and Amendment No. 2 of 27 May 2009;

or

Is an earlier version of Australian/New Zealand Standard AS/NZS 1698 or Australian Standard 1698-1988 that was in force at the time of manufacture or importation; and
Has an identifying mark from a body accredited or approved by the Joint Accreditation System of Australia and New Zealand certifying compliance with an above standard.

mitch.lax
18-07-2010, 05:42 PM
No such luck in QLD
From the QLD transport website:

quote:
Make sure it meets the Australian Standards safety requirements. Helmets must carry an AS1698 sticker, and those with a visor must conform to Australian Standard 1609.

eddahenry
18-07-2010, 05:42 PM
dont think so
"and Has an identifying mark from a body accredited or approved by the Joint Accreditation System of Australia and New Zealand certifying compliance with an above standard"

Redmohawk
18-07-2010, 05:59 PM
yep painting over a sticker voids it and there tamper proof metalised ones , if you paint the helmet mask the sticker first! Or if your game a heat gun at a low temp on it till its real warm and then a brand new razor blade/exacto knife etc push it under sticker carefully and it will lift without destroying tamper system (I have done this more times than i care to think about on metal with partice its easy) Pick up a few helmets from cashies or garage sales where they go fater you get em off is up to you. (I really don't sudjest putting them on a none Aus standard helmet though) Forget anything positive happening to you if you crash with it on because the cops WILL check it !)

Shadowzone
18-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Honestly, who the fuck really wants to wear a helmet made pre 1988? 22yrs old and some cunts contemplating wearing it in the belief it will save their noggin?

Be fucked if I would, I discard mine every 2yrs and purchase a new one. My head is worth more than the $1k - $1200 I spend every couple of yrs, to try saving a few bucks for what? for nothing...

RevHead
18-07-2010, 06:21 PM
i painted my spare helmet i taped over the AS sticker,and i, too buy a new lid every 2 years if it gets dropped i bin the fucker and buy a newbie

holyman_999
18-07-2010, 07:04 PM
food for thought... the arai man reckons that dropping your lid isn't a reason to replace it... and the whole reason for replacing every two years has more to do with stanky-lids than structural integrity...

linky!!!
http://vodpod.com/watch/1160709-jay-leno-the-arai-man

Shadowzone
18-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Maybe so, But I work on the principle that I do bang and drop them and its my noggin.

I like it the way it is.

Hagarr
18-07-2010, 08:44 PM
I've been told to replace my helmet because the polystyrene compresses when you keep wearing your helmet for a long time and this is the cushion that stops your head from taking the impact.

Redmohawk
18-07-2010, 10:25 PM
If its still tight on your head it must still be ok , if it becomes loose then the foam has compressed then it isnt going to do the job as well. If you stack the foam cells compress and can spring back but next time the compression is different (easyer) so doesnt offer the same protection. Plastic helmets will bounce ok when dropped, fiberglass and carbon fiber units may have minor fiber separation by being dropped but if the did I'd be very supprised seening as the Aus standard is something like 12 Gs with the weight of your head in it.

I know guys that have fitted stickers to lids from other countrys that don't have the correct sticker mostly to get a "look" there after thing is in a crash your helmet is analised if the ambos pick you up , insurance etc will screw you if its not an approved hemet cops will go through you like a dose of salts let alone it may be inferior and you end up being like the many clients I used to look after dribbeling in your own lap shitting your pants etc .

The reality is if you can't find what you want now days here in Aus your prob to fussy, although I have seen a few real nice looking ones from europe that you cant get here , prob because the market is small and full of cheap rubbish.

sharky
19-07-2010, 07:21 AM
That exactly why I got rid of my old non-Au Craft...
No sticker=no ins =no payout when you are in wheelchair with someone else changing ya nappy.

Snaffler
19-07-2010, 10:58 AM
makes you wonder about the harley riders yeah..
most of the hats there wearing have no internals and the hat has been painted flat black with a spray can.. no A/S sticker and seen some with the straps cut off.. i think the best one ive seen to date would be the old war style with a spike on top.. no padding, no strap & a spike on a cheap molded fiber glassed hat..

as the saying goes, a $10 hat for a $10 head!