PDA

View Full Version : oil level.....

scotty mac
12-02-2007, 06:41 PM
just done the reg oil n filter change. all good so far. this is the first since i've had the bike. the oil level window is stained badly is there any way to clean it without removing the clutch cover. i would take it off but its my only form of transport and i live 40k's out of town and don't have a spare gasket. i've dumped the old oil n filter n replaced them so i think its all good for now.hoping the clean oil will clean it up a bit....

Gix11
12-02-2007, 06:46 PM
You mean stained on the inside?

scotty mac
12-02-2007, 06:59 PM
yeah. the last owner never changed the oil often. i tried a small torch into it but still couldn't see.

Gix11
12-02-2007, 07:00 PM
If it's inside mate, you'll need to take the cover off, there's no other way I know of.

12-02-2007, 07:14 PM
Gix's right mate.

BUT, what you can do is use gasket goo as a replacement gasket. remove cover and clean the oil sight glass, clean the cover/engine surfaces, then run a very thick bead of goo around the cover surface, allow to dry till very tacky (2-3 hours), then run another very thick bead over the top of that (cover the entire width of the surface), run a thin bead around the engine surface at the same time. Wait till the cover is nearly dry, then bolt up, tighten down and leave for an hour or so. Should seal the cover a right treat.
This will not work if the surfaces are damaged/gouged/warped etc. I have done this a number of times in the past when I couldn't get hold of gaskets, and it worked fine.
PS on a lot of bikes you can remove the clutch cover with the bike on the side stand, without dumping the engine oil.
What ya riding btw?

12-02-2007, 07:24 PM
a stained sight glass is usually permenantly etched from caustic properties of old engine oil.Cerium Oxide will polish the surface if this problem exists and you cant replace the lens.As will good toothpaste if your persistent.

scotty mac
12-02-2007, 07:43 PM
thanx fellas:)i'll try laying it on its side then giving it a polish.
i've just posted my build so far in the my ride section.(91 gsx-r 750)

jubuntu
12-02-2007, 09:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by scotty mac

mate it sounds like its stained on the inside.... if u want to get at that without taking the cover off u will have to polish your way in.

scotty mac
12-02-2007, 10:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by scotty mac

yeah [xx(] i ment lay it on its side n take the cover off..:D