PDA

View Full Version : Streetfighter Garage Tips?

pappas
15-07-2010, 11:52 AM
I'm in the process of building my house and I'm starting to sort out elctrical, water, gas etc. I'm after some tips or things to consider when putting together a garage / workshop. It's a double garage and I plan on having one space for the car and the other side used for work bench, lathe, mill and wash basin. I'm running 3-phase power, water and gas to the garage and I've got a sewer stack in the garage as well. Here's a photo of what I'm talking about.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1279218428.jpg

eddahenry
15-07-2010, 01:19 PM
3 phase I like it ,,, just remeber to put in the right amperage for your purpose (maybe check the specs of your dream tools. cause they can run on 20 amps per phase 32 amps per phase and so on
i would go 2 deticated 15 amp circuts for weldersand such
Will you be running a compressor as it would be cheaper and easyer to now lay a slab out side and get it briked in to keep the houses around you happy
Also remeber to wire power into there for the compressor
For lighting im really happy with the new LED tubes that i have just changed to that fit into the old fluro battern fixtures massive light ,,, lathe, mill and drill safe and only half the power consumption of the fluros, but at 70 a tube they aint cheap but they do have a working life about 1000 times longer than fluros.
Also most important of all if you have Kids
Get the sparky to install a master power switch with a key that kills power to everything except the lights.
A workshop is a very dangerous place for young hands, the few hundred it would cost you would mean nothing if its the diffrence between your kids being safe or god forbide having alife long disabillity or worse.
Becuae your the only one with the key you know only you have access to the power.
A few more money saving tips
If your thinking of 3 phase mills or lathes dont go crazy and install 3 or 4 3 phase outlets as they run nearly 200 a pop
Put 1 in and leave juction boxs on the wall where you want the lath and hard wire them when the time comes
oh and if they havent finshed wiring from the house to the shead get them to run 4 to 6 runs of cat 6 cable
really handy to have as these days you can get balns to run just about anything through cat 5 like internet , foxtel , cctv cameras , alrm system, a intercom from the house and so on

latheboy
15-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Thats a nice shed but where's the house going to go?

JackTar
15-07-2010, 03:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by latheboy

LOL

ALBI
15-07-2010, 07:39 PM
as he said ! do the 3 phase if ya can while you building and go for broke ! fuck the car mate ive got a double garage and carport ,garage is mine carport for the handbrake ! when ever i dont have my shit in there

Mishdog20
15-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Probably the only thing i would recommend mate, would be some of those acoustic batts, between the two houses and even in the floor space to the second storey. I know they aint cheap, but shit they make a big difference. Will keep the missus and next door happy, if they cant hear a bike sittin on the rev limiter, then its all gonna be good.

RevHead
15-07-2010, 08:58 PM
depending on were you live a gas powered wall heater for winter,like they have at pubs,and an air conditioner,ive got one fitted in my shed,for that fuckn hot day,an exhaust fan and a toilet your missuis mighten want all your mates walking grease n dirt upstairs to take a crap

ozzy1100
15-07-2010, 09:00 PM
prety much the boys have nailed it.
sound will be yr biggest prob and if u will want 2 work after hrs (not yr day job yet lol) make shore you spend the time and money.
3 phase is great( it is cheeper 2 run, can be changed direction and more power and you wont have yr lights dim ever time u start up) but i think only if u buying second hand lathe mill etc(most 2nd hands are 3 phase or they go so fast yr arse hurts), most new bits in the sizes you will prob want (unless you really want 2 go 2 town) can be had in both 240 and 415. haveing said that if u can have it done for not a lot extra go for it have them wire a phase each for diff parts of yr house if u like.
mostly i say think about what types of jobs you would like 2 do, space and lay out,, i have worked in some great tooled workshops that suxed because no one ever thought about how would like 2 work. spend the time there with a beer in yr hand and make the most out the space, when i built my shed i left the last 2 bays so thats a 6 x 9 area just for my work shop and i have been slowly getting it right but even withthat much space i have spent the time thinking about how i want it 2 work but be carefull some times u can get silly lol thankfully i didnt put the pit in to the floor to flush mount the bike lift(think over 2000 extra)
good luck

pappas
15-07-2010, 10:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by latheboy

FUCK!! I knew I forgot something! Nah the house is on a corner block, so the house as you look at the photo is off to the left (detached).

I didn't actually think about running seperate circuits out for three phase, was just going to run one 3 phase. Good idea to run a couple. I already have 3 phase to the board, just got to get it to the aircon and the garage. The compressor will sit under the staircase so shouldn't be to loud.

The walls are getting R1.5 batts that have a sound rating, plus the house is bein built with Hebel Panels which have a better acoustic and thermal rating than bricks.

The second story is just a boys/games/cinema room so no real need for any sound proofing.

I've also been thinking of putting a car hoist in there as well. Anyone used one of those $3k hoists they advertise in car mags?

Cheers for the info!

RevHead
16-07-2010, 07:25 AM
yeah my mates got a chinese $2500 2 post hoist it can lift 3 ton its fine ,it cable not hydrulic so it doesnt creep he,,s had it 2 yrs only thing thats every worn out r the rubber feet that the cars sit on ,on the arms

Large
16-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Dont you need a 3-4m ceiling for a hoist?

pappas
16-07-2010, 10:09 AM
You can get hoists that are 2400 high, just have to be carefull not to lift the car to high.

Snaffler
16-07-2010, 10:32 PM
the only thing i can think of is,

go around to all the other houses getting built and steal all there shit so it cost you nothing to do yours lol.. [:p] j/k

no just dont forget to have an alarm with smoke detectors fitted..
maybe a huge assed Cujo dog with shoe laces hanging from its mouth.
if the dog done get the robbers, they slip in the dogs drool and break there necks when trying to run off..
oh and a kx60 engine on the rolla door

:D

Large
16-07-2010, 10:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by pappas

You can get hoists that are 2400 high, just have to be carefull not to lift the car to high.

Wouldn't that mean you'd be squatiing to work like a rice grower in a thai paddy field?