PDA

View Full Version : 1000rr forks

Slain
12-02-2007, 02:24 PM
hey guys, have an opportunity to pick up some very low km 1000rr forks, triples and calipers etc minus front wheel.
What would be the best way to fit them to my 954rr?
I have two trains of thought, one being fitting them to the standard 954 triples as i have a funny feeling the fork sizes are almost the same
or
i do a bit of machining and use the entire front end and run 1000rr triples, bearings etc.
I havent decided what to do with regards to the wheel whether i modify my standard rim or bite t he bullet and throw a 1000rr front rim on as well.
Just tyring to get some opinions and advice before i pull the bike off the road to mess around with it.
Cheers

Gix11
12-02-2007, 04:13 PM
If you don't have the front wheel can you guarantee it's the same size as the wheel you have? If not (and you think the forks will fit your triples) just use your triples to get the right spacing and make life easier. I'm guessing the discs are the same diametre as well to fit in your new calipers?

Slain
12-02-2007, 04:40 PM
getting some wavey discs off another mate which are same size as a 1000rr but with 954 carriers, if i want htem.
can always play with the spacing on the front wheel as thats not a great concern, its more getting the forks to fit so i can get some better braking happening

Deano
12-02-2007, 05:16 PM
you need to find out the dia of the forks where they go through the top and bottom triple. if they are the same then you may be able to use the older triples. then i would measure the spacings of the forks (centre to centre) if they are the same from 954 ro 1000 the you are laughing and will be able to use the original triples with the new forks.

if not you could have a bit of fucking around to contend with to get the 1000 triples to fit. things you need to look at is related to the stem fitting. check the bearing diameters, distance that the bearings are apart, steering stop positions and if the new triples will foul anything like clocks radiators or fairings (if you are going to keep them)

it may work out easier to get a custom stem made up to fit the 1000 triples and have all the key dimensions of the 954 stem so that it all bolts up using 954 bearings etc.

I can't believe i said so much about a Honda - i must be slipping.