View Full Version : just want to say hi and show off my fist build

slipon
10-07-2010, 11:39 AM
just want to say hi

as Im new in here, fist discoverd this site now :(
Ooh well 14 days ago I did`t know I wanted a streetfighter :D

N/A/C: Ruben/36/Denmark

my fist build, a GS 500 from 1999 had it for like 2 years now

fist picture is from when I got the bike, made a few changes like clear signals and a carbon slipon but nothing specialy, just use it for commuting to work aso.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1278739548.jpg

seccon pictur is from to day, just used a week buying stuff and a week of my vacation converting/painting the bike, tho the exhaust I fitted on like a month ago and the reson why I begon to get intrest in custom bikes and streetfighters (Im a smed/metal worker, makeing machins for the textile and medical industris, a lot of tig welding aso. so I got some knowlegs and all the tools for it ;) and one of my friends is a motor bike mecanic ;)

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1278729370.jpg

so its mostly my buget and time that set the limit (allready used like 1K 3 on it, 500 of em on tiers, chain, filters and stuff for the engin but the other 500 on the look, and ther are limits on what Im ready to spend on a GS 500

tho I allready have my eyes on my other friends front fork ;)
he just got a nice upside down (wold love that but not at that price)
but his "old" one would also make a nice fit, a sv 1000 front fork think it would look much better, atlest it have double discs :D

so I guess thats my winther/x-mass vacation plans :D
would also like to split the bike appart and get the frame powder varnished black.

btw
I know the front fender and side covers on the engin is`t paintet yet
will do one of this days and I´ll make sure to post more picturs by then

also if anybody have some nice suggestings on how to cut my front fender so it look nicer feel free to post em :) (not how to cut it I know/got the tools for that .. more like designs)

p.s and yea the front light is a 40 £ cheap one, but agin, have a buget here, and the light is actualy better then my old and paintet I actualy think it look ok, atlest for now, could wait to get the old bodywork off the bike !

rod185651
10-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Welcome Mate

slipon
10-07-2010, 12:00 PM
a few more pictures, fist one is from last summer.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1278760893.jpg

this is more or less how the bike lookd 14 days ago ..

and here are two more from to day:

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1278817028.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1278809385.jpg

still need a littel work but is like 90% as I wanted it, tho that sv 1000 front fork might changes my mind :D think he want around 250 £ complete with weel, discs and break cylenders aso.

btw
do anybody know if the axel/fork from a SV 1000 fits direct on a GS 500 ? or do I have to cut the axels and swarp em to fit it on ?

ps
sorry for my bad english, only my seccon langues and Im tired (4 a clock in the night) and Im to lazy to use a Dictionary :D

slipon
10-07-2010, 12:53 PM
changes I made:

got a GP 1 exhaust cheap (like 100 £) so fittet it on ..
and it all begon :D (had to remove my center stand to make it fit, rest was mostly cutting and welding, also fittet a DB killer, had to as I leave for work at 5:30 in the morning and my naibors dont like to get up that early, still sounds nice tho, specialy when you give it a few rpms, 2 cylenders works on a streetfighter ;)

wrap the exhaust (had to raise the needels in the carburettor 2 "clicks" now I runns smootly ;) was a bit lean to begin with,
tho I do have a KN filter and jet kit on my hand ;) just waiting for my friend (the bike mecanic) to get time to install it (not that I cant but he got the .... hmm whats the english word here ? well he have one of them filds wher he can test the bike and make it work 100% aso.

cut the dog bones 8 mm to raise it 5 CM (2")

cut the rear fender and fitter on the number plate

changes the lights and signales
(rear light is from a gsxs I think it was ? only one I could find that fits more or less .. need to chanegs the rare a bit in the future, its a clear led light with signals integrated aso.)

front light as I said is the cheap 40 £ falcon light found anywher on the internet, its ok for now, as I said, light is acctualy better then my old one, just need to get a Rectifier (dunno if that is the right word in english ? I want to make boath front lights activ when I got it on far light, front signals is oxford signals,

new small mirrors, need to get used to em, a bit shaky aswell, but they work ok I guess.

rim stripes and ngk spork hoods in red

new front disc(might regret that now :D) pads, O-rings reinforced break line in front (also have for the rear will get my friend to fit it on ;) yea Im also lazy :D and dont have all the right tools for that.

engin got new oil and filter (not air filter as I got the KN)
new sporks, hoods, valves/carburettors adjusted (will do it agin when the KN/jet kit is fittet)

pirelli Demons tires

DID chain and sprockets

new batteri (best I could get for money)

rest was mostly painitng, mat black gas tank, head light and side covers ( still need to paint my front fender .. had to take of the front weel for that .. dahhh .. and clever me removed my center stand :D so will have to wait untill Im back at work to use the crain ;) or buy one of them things to raise it up ? lets see ..

I just used Motip matt black, of course a lof of sanding .. to start with, after filling, after primer and between all layers (atlest 5) used 800 wet papir for it (carefully) used my bathroom floor to dry it over night :D floor heating ;) got it up to 37 degress in ther :D

also paintet one of the engin side covers, but waiting for packs before I dear to remove it all also used Motip (heat resistant)

and waiting for new suzuki logo/side covers for the engin aswell.

dunno if I forgot sumthing ? but think thats all :D
atlest for now, futur plans will be the SV 1000 front fork or sumthign a like and getting my frame powder covert, dont think I will do much more on a GS 500 but I guess thats is a lot .. dont even sk me what it have cost me so fare dont even want to think of the bike I could have bought tho dont want to think of the insurance and part cost either so I stick to my GS 500 for now :D

Gitzy
10-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Welcome Ruben, nice project you have there mate.

slipon
10-07-2010, 01:41 PM
ty :)

and please feel free to come with suggestions .. I got my own mind .. dont worrie ;)
and dont care a **** what Ppl. think .. we all got our own tast .. thankfully .. but Im new here .. like I said .. a month ago I did`t know much about streetfighters .. and this is my fist build .. its allways nice with some inspirition and input :)

Z Power
10-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Welcome aboard mate,have good luck with the build

RevHead
10-07-2010, 05:49 PM
onya bloke welcome

Pab13
10-07-2010, 09:17 PM
welcome mate not a bad effort there either

ALBI
10-07-2010, 10:18 PM
good one mate have to start somewhere

KATO ZX7
10-07-2010, 10:56 PM
fistly id like to welcome you ;)

welcome to the nuthouse mate, you've been busy, nice intro, you had pics :D

slipon
11-07-2010, 01:59 AM
thanks guys/galz :) Im sure I fit right in ;)

And yea have to start somewher and as I said streetfighters are kind a new to me, but Im allready in love :)

realy like the old school/mad max looks ..
and realy perfect for a small "not so nice" bike like a GS, ..
make it so much more and the two cylenders acctualy make a perfect sound if you ask me .. like with shoppers I think its the right sound for a bike like that .. not that I know .. just my oppinion .. 4 cylenders work great to but do sounds better on a race bike if you ask me .. agin oppinions and what make it funn as we all are diffrent .. (could be funn to take a old BWM boxer as my next build :D)

and yea I have been a littel buzy ;) Im sure you Ppl. know :-D

found myself painting the gas tank at 3 a clock in the morning in the middel of my living room :-D

but result is acctualy great, guess all them mopeds back when I was 14-16 and my "career" in graffiti also helpd :-D and a lot of wet sanding a lot .. realy smoot now nealy 100% perfect .. have to know wher to look for tiny flaws (tiny tiny scrats) but I guess one more wet sanding and a littel filler and 2-3 more layers of mat black late on will make it 100% perfect .. but damn hard to keep clean .. thanks God we got destilereret water at work .. how do you guys with mat black do ?

and neboirs think I move to the parkinglot in the day times and co workers dont get me as I turn up at work nearly evry day (I have vacation) to collect tools I need or get eletrical parts ;) bolts aso.

but its allmost ready for the summer now and my trip to "skannerborg" festival (fist week of August) a small trip on 400 Km .. other part of Denmark .. will drive over the bridges for the fist time on a bike :-) 6.790 m bridges that connect Denmark .. my mates will drive the care with all the stuff ;) 5 days of music, beers and well .. some other stuff ;)

now just need to get that front fender off (wish I had paintet it before I removed the center stand ;)

cut it (still not sure about designs) and paint it as the rest of the bike and do the side covers on the engin aswell and fit them new logos when I resive em .. then its ready

tho I also like to make boath front light work when I got it on fare light and maybe make a small box of some kind (thinking of makeing it of ½ mm stanless steell and paint it blcak for my wireings in the front light .. so you dont see a lot of yellow and red wireing and to keep em dry (btw also used the possision light wireing to light up the front light from inside .. had a blue led light lying around from when I changes em in the speedo/rmp so I thort I might aswell use the possission light for that ;) look nice at night time ;)

a few more picturs I had ..

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1278867731.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1278876312.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1278832717.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1278869774.jpg

btw
also paintet a lot of small parts, like dashbord (see picture) footrests, gear shifter and break baddel aso. and changes most of the bolts/screews to .. well stanless steel and alu .. as I got most of em at work ;)

slipon
11-07-2010, 02:09 AM
ps. KATO ZX7 I see your from Jamaica :) KOOL !

know this Denish artist ;) she died ther in a car cash like 2 years ago .. but love here Music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p-iTQSiUM0&playnext_from=TL&videos=8RKS66cTmcU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p-iTQSiUM0&playnext_from=TL&videos=8RKS66cTmcU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glCSb3E7LX4&playnext_from=TL&videos=PzbYeFVBfzw

Redmohawk
11-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Welcome mate word missing above regarding carbie kit and filter was prob "skills" at a guess and rectifier is correct here to.

Hope you enjoy the site I think you will fit right in.

slipon
11-07-2010, 10:31 AM
erm thanks ..

one thing tho .. my English kind a sucks and your tecnical terms and slang is terrible :D
dont get much of what you meant in that post .. sorry :)

Shiny Things
11-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Hey slipon, welcome. Don't worry about your English, I probably couldn't even recite the Danish alphabet!

STELF
11-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Welcome Ruben [8D]

slipon
11-07-2010, 09:32 PM
thanks all :)

is it just me or is ther a lot of Ppl in here from Jamaica ? any specialy reason ? just curious ...

Fight_fan
12-07-2010, 07:33 AM
Welcome Slipon, u will have to come to terms with our slang i think. Its become part of our way of life LOL
Nice bike, u'v come along way in 14 days mate!

slipon
12-07-2010, 09:25 AM
yea well I have most of the skills and tools as I said ..

my job is mostly TIG welding and all kind of work in stanless stell (bending, grinding, cutting aso.)
and my education is ship builder (Burmeister and Wain shipyeard) mostly bulkcarrier (250 M long tank ships)

so it do "lies to my right food" to build bikes ..
did a lot aswell when I was younger on mopeds (50-80 ccm) and one of my friends is a moter bike mecanic ;)

and we got electrician at work who have helpd me a littel on that part (mostly with muffers .. got some nice once with silicone/glue inside so when you press it together with the wires it seals :D nice .. specialy since I get em for free ;)

so have mostly been funn to build/paint .. no real problems .. tho my front caliber/pads have a anoying tendencie to hang a bit .. nothing much .. but have been driving me close to madness :D

p.s
if I had choosen another color then mat black I would have had a friends son (who is on his 3 year as painter Apprentice) to paint it with proff gear .. but I safed some bucks and got the mat black I wanted and with a result Im 99% happy with .. found 2 small .. well tiny scrates I missd at the side of the gas tank .. will fix them later on aswell :D

also with vacation I have been abel to use most of them 14 days (1 week) building
and the exhaust I did fit like a month ago .. so it was mostly lights and painitng but of course a lot of addabting (Im sure you know ;)

and Im still not 100% satisfied ..if you look close .. but Im sure its just me .. like my stuff to be 100%
but once fittet on it is more easy to over time think of stuff and get parts and fit it all and changes small things ..

like my back end and light .. need to changes that at some point .. do look ok now .. and much better then before .. but I know how I realy want it .. tho that will involve some cutting in the frame aso .. will have to wait untill winther and when I hopefully have time to strip the bike completly and get the frame powerd painted black ..

lets see .. and sure I´ll try to addabt to your slang .. might ask some stupid question now and then tho but Im sure I can manages ..

KATO ZX7
12-07-2010, 09:51 PM
We love all things Jamaican :D maan...

Bob
13-07-2010, 05:47 AM
Welcome mate, nice looking bike

Dansk
20-07-2010, 11:35 PM
Velkommen
Godt at se en anden Dansker her.
Selvom jeg bor i Australien kan jeg stadigt huske lidt DANSK.

slipon
21-07-2010, 05:16 AM
kool :)

og ja der er ikke så mange Dansker her inde eller på nogle af de andre sider .. men der er vist en dansk streetfighter side .. og en del køre efterhånden på "naked bikes" .. en del streetfighters og cafe racers osv.

slipon
16-03-2011, 05:24 AM
hi agin

ok it have been a wile (long winther here in Denmark :( +3 months of snow)

but been a bit busy lately ..

wanted to get the bike paintet for a long time and thort now was the time .. as the snow is gone and all the salt on the streets is gone aswell ..

sorry no pictures of the acctual build ..

was in a bit of a hurry .. as my friend (the motorbike mecanic who was suppose to help me take it appart in his shop was leaving for 1 month of hollyday in africa wher his brother work .. so had to hurry if I wanted to make it before the spring or I would have had to wait untill after he return and then I couldnt get on with the build ..

so I/we toke it appart .. got it sand blasted .. painted and put together in like 1 ½ week (3 hrs to take it appart .. 3 days to get it to the sandblaster .. and paint shop and then 12 hrs to get it back together and make it all work ..

its still not 100% complet as I want it .. more like 95% done .. still need to get a pro to make me a nice seat .. need to make some side panels and some other small stuff here and ther will try to update it with more picturs as I get it done .. but here is 3 of it as it is now ..

http://i56.tinypic.com/fl9fr6.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/2j31umo.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/97k4y0.jpg

as you can see I made some new pipes so I could move the exhaust down wher it belong (pretty tired of driving around with a wather collector as it do rain a lot in Denmark)

also got a new back end at (http://www.ricambiweiss.de/)
nice shop .. cheap and quick delevery (atlest in EU .. dunno about the rest of the world but Im sure it ist a problem)

new handelbar and mirros to fit the ends ..

new turn signals and tail light ..

changes most bolts and screews to stanless steel (from work of course ;) still miss a few (as we dont have the right once .. guess I acctualy need to buy em !!!)

and Im sure some other stuff I forgot ?

Fight_fan
16-03-2011, 06:23 AM
Looks good mate! I really like the ducati style tail, it matches well with the tank!

slipon
16-03-2011, 07:00 AM
yea I thort so myself .. still need a littel work tho ..

need to get a seat .. know a sadel maker who can make me one .. also need to make some side panels to cover up the eletric stuff and air box (Ooh yea also fittet a KN filter and jet kit to match my exhaust ;) when my mate returns we will give it a runn on the dyno bench .. think its a bit lean but did allready give the bike a nice boost .. also sound nice ;)

think I will try to make some side panel out of some 1 mm. perforatet stanless steel plate we have at work .. will see if I keep it in rough steel or paint it black ? time will tell ..

also need to cover up the elitric wires in the front light and make some diffrent stuff in stanless stell .. like break arm for the back caliber and holders for wires and cables aso. want it clean .. in black and steel

might also consider another front light at some point ? dunno ?
now I just want to relax a bit and enjoy the spring must admit that even tho it is funn its also hard work when you fist have a work day from 6-15 and then hurry over at the other shop and cuntinue on the bike untill 22-23 in the evening .. but I guess its now the real funn begins .. now I can begin to consentrait on the details wile I still can drive my bike evryday :)wonder what will happen when I cant find more stuff to fix/changes/build on it ? :D

slipon
16-03-2011, 07:10 AM
Oh yea also thort about fitting this on the bike:

http://www.ricambiweiss.de/product_info.php/info/p202_SS07-Hugger-SUZUKI-GSF-600-1200-BANDIT-RearMudguard.html

will need some cutting and painting but think it will look nice and keep dirt of the engin ..

mean-Maori-mean
16-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Bike looks good brother, welcome to the madness.
cheers

"Ride it like you stole it."

HOOTZ
16-03-2011, 03:42 PM
that's an awesome sled you have there denmark. welcome.

slipon
17-03-2011, 12:59 AM
thanks guys/galz ..

just fittet new grips on it to day (at lunch break ;)

will try to take some more pictures and stuff and post em up this weekend ..

btw
good littel trick to get em on (if the rubber is a bit sticky and hard to get on the handelbar/roll)

use tinner (you know the stuff you use to mix in paint or remove paint with .. be carefull not to get it all over your hands and stuff)

it works great .. rubber get slippery and go right on .. tinner will evaporate in seccons so be fast .. also rubber will stick better to the grips afterwords ..

a guy at work who drive motorcross (semi pro) toald me about it .. and it works like magic :)

Skinner
17-03-2011, 07:36 AM
should have started a build thread chief !! :D Cool mods though man.