PDA

View Full Version : Power Commander Queries

Mishdog20
06-07-2010, 08:57 PM
I'm looking at getting a PC3 for my ZX10r 2007 model, cause with the current mods on it ( exhausts and air filter ) the bike is real sluggish in the lower power range. It does have a shit load of go when ya get some rev's under it, but this isnt entirely prctical around town[:p] So what i'm trying to do is tune up the lower rev range to give it a bit more balls. Anyways, are Power Commanders brand / model specific??? I'm looking at a PC3 on egays at the moment which suits a 2005/2006 model. Can i jimmy this up with a different map to suit? Even though the 06/07 model has a dual underseat exhaust, while the 05 model is a single side mounted. Anyhelp will be appreciated. Cheers. Glenn.

BANDITROD
06-07-2010, 09:04 PM
well as far as im concerned there gay and the sluggish power your talking about is prob just from riding in a to higher gear.. try riding around in 1st and 2nd and you shouldnt have a drama if i ride in 3rd or 4th my gixxer is the same but in 1st and 2nd its much more fun

Mishdog20
06-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Nah mate, im talking about 1st. Off the line the thing is a pig, lol. I know i'm only used to riding 600's but yeah. The bloke i bought it off reckoned it needed one badly too.

BANDITROD
06-07-2010, 09:17 PM
fair enough mate well in that case you will need one model specific i think but one of the kwaka gurus might know different

2ndclasscitizen
06-07-2010, 09:49 PM
The Powercommander website has them listed with different part numbers, so you might be outta luck there.

Mishdog20
06-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Mmmm thats what i thought, but wasnt too sure. I wonder what it would do if ya ran the wrong one?

2ndclasscitizen
06-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Throw an FI code, not start, not run properly, crap out, run like arse, etc etc.

Actually, it's probably not that bad. The part numbers don't actually mean that it won't work, between two different years of the same bike, the differences are probably just in the wiring loom of the PCIII (i.e different lengths, laid-out differently). I know that you mix-and-match PCIII's for a few different K-series Gixxers. Your best bet is still probably a Kwaka forum.

Redmohawk
07-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Mate if your going to shell out for a power comander get the right one , no use dropping your hard earned on crap and having the same issue or worse, have you looked around at getting the original puter remaped? Might work out to be a cheaper/better option in the long run.

Benz
07-07-2010, 11:00 AM
ALL Bike power commander111's are essentially the same inside, it's only the loom and connectors that change.
I fitted a PC3 from a 2007 Hyabusa to my 1984 GPZ turbo. Sure the maps are completely different [Turbo maps don't exist....], but essentially a four cylinder PC3 will work on any four cylinder bike, if you are comfortable rewiring the connections.
You can pick up different maps [from the Power Commander site] to suit different states of tune eg, pipe only , full sysytem, high flow filter etc, and then fine tune that on a dyno, or in my case,the good ol' arse dyno.
My personal experience is that the zx10 bottom end DOES improve big time, but the PC3 sets up a lot of backfire/fluff on the over-run.

Mishdog20
07-07-2010, 04:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by Benz

ALL Bike power commander111's are essentially the same inside, it's only the loom and connectors that change.
I fitted a PC3 from a 2007 Hyabusa to my 1984 GPZ turbo. Sure the maps are completely different [Turbo maps don't exist....], but essentially a four cylinder PC3 will work on any four cylinder bike, if you are comfortable rewiring the connections.
You can pick up different maps [from the Power Commander site] to suit different states of tune eg, pipe only , full sysytem, high flow filter etc, and then fine tune that on a dyno, or in my case,the good ol' arse dyno.
My personal experience is that the zx10 bottom end DOES improve big time, but the PC3 sets up a lot of backfire/fluff on the over-run.

Thats what i wanted to hear mate. I was hoping it wasnt only the bottom end on mine that lacked. I didnt think it would be vastly different, and wiring new connections is no problem at all. I found one on evilbay, second hand with the cd and looms for 200 bucks. Oh and just got a reply back with the product code, and it matches my bike anyways, so it should be all good. At half price of a new one, im prepared to have to tinker a bit. All else fails, its only 200 bucks and ill soon as re-list it again. Cheers for your help fellas.:)

Redmohawk
07-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Top shit mate have fun!

Booster
07-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Is the 10 like the 14 and respond well to removing the secondary throttleblades ?

Mishdog20
07-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Hmmm, interested now!!!

Benz
08-07-2010, 01:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by Booster

Is the 10 like the 14 and respond well to removing the secondary throttleblades ?

From what I've been told [it's my brother inlaw's project], he had good success by leaving the zx10's secondaries alone, but disabling the exhaust EXUP[cant remember big K's acronym]which unleashes a few more horses down low, when combined with the richer airfuel ratio the PC111 can give you.
There's a simple mod, and/or a kit you can buy to fool the computer, or you can disable the valve in the 'off' position at the EXUP, leaving the electronics intact.
Somethin' like that..........[^]

Redmohawk
08-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Ok silly question whats an exhaust EXUP ?

pappas
08-07-2010, 12:43 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-stroke_power_valve_system

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1278649595.jpg

Mishdog20
08-07-2010, 04:19 PM
The term EXUP is a yamaha thing though isnt it??

Gix11
08-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Sure is mate. The first "Exhaust Ultimate Power Valve" I remember was on the then awesome Yamaha FZ1000R Exup, or just called the "Exup" by riders in the UK. The reality of it was it was a very long bike and handled pretty crap (well I thought so anyway) but had some good GET UP AND GO.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1278667792.jpg

Mishdog20
08-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Hahaha thats cool mate, ive got a fzr 250 sittin in the shed that has an exup on it. havent gone for a blat yet, but keen to see what it can do.

kevkatana
08-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Dyno? Put a commander on and it'll still be the same won't it? Are the Kwaka's able to be re-mapped without the power commander like a GSXR?

Mishdog20
08-07-2010, 09:40 PM
planning on doing both kev. just gotta find a dyno thats closer than melbourne. I heard a whisper that there's a bloke in Daylesford that is the shit with race cars. Wondering if he can do bikes too.

BANDITROD
08-07-2010, 09:46 PM
doesnt motorcycle land have one in the rat glen i am pretty sure they do

Mishdog20
08-07-2010, 09:51 PM
i'm going to pretend ya didnt say that mate, lol

BANDITROD
08-07-2010, 10:35 PM
i have heard the same mate i just wasnt sure of my source thats all ...now i know for sure dont go anywhere near those fucktards

kevkatana
08-07-2010, 10:42 PM
I'll ask around at work tomorrow Glenno. Fair few mad car nuts at work. And motorcycle land can suck my salty balls. Thay can't even tune postie bikes!!!!

Mishdog20
08-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Thanks mate, that would be great, and yes they are a pack of over priced twats.

yoda
09-07-2010, 10:22 AM
get rid of the exhaust valve, just get it in the open position, then disable it, saves fucking with the wiring.

download a map to suit your bikes mods and use that as a start point, it should be pretty close.

a lot of shops are putting in dynos at the moment as all the new mx bikes are injected.

the guy at daylesford is great with carbs, not sure about injection.

mc land has a good dyno, as does ords mc here(all shiny and new too!)

Job's right!