PDA

View Full Version : Polished engine bolts, for GS 450

Shiny Things
01-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Hi guys, as I'm dead lazy I've been looking for a ready-polished engine bolt set for the 81 GS 450 I'm doing as my first project. I've looked high & low & haven't found a supplier. The best I came up with is to buy a complete set & then polish it myself, or buy the individual polished bolts. So it's a choice of black boogers for a week, or forgetting to order half the bolts.

Anyone know of a place that can help with the entire, polished set?

Cheers, Anthea.

Redmohawk
01-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Try looking at a industrial bolt supplyer and taking a sample of what you need or try someone like these guys http://www.boltsnutsscrewsonline.com/ , prob find they can order you in bolts with the same thread in mushroom head cromed or pollished stainless with a allen head or something, lots out there if you want to spend the time looking. (just be careful with stainless bolts they have different expansion rates (higher) at different temps compared to mild and high tensile steel at higher temps, should be fine for most stuff just watch em with exhaust components etc)

Gitzy
01-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Tasty Nuts... Pro Bolt.

http://www.tastynuts.com/

every bolt conceivable for your project.. stainless, titanium and anodized alloy, available seperate and in kits.. great shop always used them.. Oz shop also.. 7 days longest i've waited.. $12-$16 postage Oz wide..

hope this helps Miss Shiny.

OLD SKOOL BANDIT
01-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Remove the bolt, wrap the thread in insulation tape (To protect the thread), fit into a battery drill (Head out obviously), Hold cap of bolt in a bit of 1200 grit wet and dry (Do this with a squirt of soapy water)And spin her up. Repeat process with 2000 grit for a sparkly finish. Did this on mine and it worked a treat. (Works better if done topless wearing a mini skirt) Send the cash to usual place geoff

Shiny Things
01-07-2010, 02:16 PM
You worked in nothing but a miniskirt Bryn? If only we had pics of that! Is that what Geoff is supposed to be paying you for? ;)
Thanks guys, I especially like Gitzy's choice as I always prefer to buy Australian.
The sad part is my dad worked in fasteners for nearly 40 years & could have customised every last bolt for me before he retired.

mitch.lax
01-07-2010, 02:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by OLD SKOOL BANDIT
(Works better if done topless wearing a mini skirt)

I tried it with and without the miniskirt. Miniskirt definately works better. Added bonus - when I did it, it freaked the fuck out of the neighbours.

OLD SKOOL BANDIT
01-07-2010, 03:35 PM
I usually work naked Anthea just to keep Jude out of the shed. Sparks from the grinder are particularly amusing when bounced off the danglies. There were pictures but they were destroyed in the interests of humanity, nobody should have to look at my bare bits. The only reason for a mini skirt is it's winter and I was feeling compasionate.

Gix11
01-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Try emailing Shaun (Pommy Choppers): http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=1108

He's a member and a distributor for Pro-bolts: http://www.pommychoppers.com/probolt.htm

He could give you a price guide.

sharky
01-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Last chat I had with him he had given up trying as they were sooo hard to deal with.

Gix11
02-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Ok, scrap that then....

DiscoDan
02-07-2010, 05:43 PM

Remove the bolt, wrap the thread in insulation tape (To protect the thread), fit into a battery drill (Head out obviously), Hold cap of bolt in a bit of 1200 grit wet and dry (Do this with a squirt of soapy water)And spin her up. Repeat process with 2000 grit for a sparkly finish. Did this on mine and it worked a treat. (Works better if done topless wearing a mini skirt) Send the cash to usual place geoff

Ditto on that. I like to give them a quick sqirt with aerosol clear acrylic to keep the fur off as well

Shiny Things
02-07-2010, 05:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by DiscoDan

Ditto on that. I like to give them a quick sqirt with aerosol clear acrylic to keep the fur off as well

Give WHAT a quick squirt to keep the fur off?!?! [:0]

I've ordered an unpolished set from the USA, so in a week or so I get to start polishing. Woo hoo...not. I'll have o get this with much alcholic encouragement.

RevHead
05-07-2010, 10:07 PM
i bought a polishing kit off ebay for $60 about 3yrs back it works a treat,just get all the clear powder coating off then rub rub rub its got a coarse pad and black compound and a polishing pad of fine cotton woddind,and white compound ,its easy as ,its got an attachment to fit in ya dril ;]

Phill
06-07-2010, 05:43 PM
DONT TALK TO POMMYCHOPPER!!!

Hes got my bike up there, leave him alone to fix it!!!!!

Nah just kidding, he can do it when he can, cant ya mate, buddy, pal!!
Phill

ALBI
06-07-2010, 10:40 PM
sorry to high jack but gix11 did you get my email??