PDA

View Full Version : What's my bike worth?

robmac
30-06-2010, 08:50 PM
How much is a rebuilt streetfighter really worth?

I've just finished building the Blade and will be putting it up for sale shortly (haven't checked my lottery ticket yet but I'm not holding my breath)and I was thinking of what price I should ask...Oh and the reason for selling it is simply that I want to build another bike (turbo [8D]) and can't afford to do it any other way. I have a ballpark figure of what I want but as I've never seen bikes like this advertised anywhere or how much they went for I was just curious what each of you thought was a fair price. I've seen the one's that Ben has built up for sale but never with a price then they are just sold.

Anyway, can I have ur collective opinions on what you reckon is a reasonable price for a completely rebuilt bike?
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1277931951.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1277909662.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1277977173.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1277928682.jpg

It'll come with at least 6 months rego too.

Thanks
Rob

KATO ZX7
30-06-2010, 09:03 PM
i like it

not knowing much about blades tho, what year, what sort of km's has she done and exactly what have you done to mod her up?

then i'l give you a price :)

Gitzy
30-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Maybe KMs and a list may help, but to me.. thats bike is show quality, all custom swinger, 210tyre, front end, tail, wheel, etc.. i've seen how much work you put in it.. at a guess and i'm not sure if i'm under your ballpark figure but i myself would pay between 15-20k for that .. you can still pay upwards of 9k for good examples of that era of blades. And then you've got all your mods.. Its hard to put a figure on something thats only going to sell to a certain genre of bike lovers.. I'm putting it into the same category as the Firefighter Blade and Exbens Blue TL and didnt both them go for 20kish?? The thing looks better than new.. Me personally would drop 18k+ on it Rob before I bought a new "factory fighter"... this = my 2c

rod185651
30-06-2010, 09:26 PM
There are a lot of other factors to consider also, one of the major ones being:
How quickly do you want to sell it Rob?

nick76
30-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Its an awesome bike,we've seen your build thread,you put alot of effort into it,it all depends on how long you're willing to wait??
Like Gitzy says,its only gonna sell to a certain genre of riders,and all you can hope is that there is a lover of streetfighters out there cashed up and ready to buy!!!
Put up what you think its worth?
Gitzy's prob not far of the mark,its just finding that buyer!!!

fimpBIKES
30-06-2010, 10:55 PM
i honestly dont think you would get more than whatever a stock one is worth with similar k's
but it might be a decent base-point

ps- really like the blade

lurch
30-06-2010, 11:51 PM
^^I'm inclined to agree. The right person will pay top dollar but many will assume that it's had some sort of a crash and tread carefully. As others have said it's hard to put a $ value on it without knowing some more details.

In saying that I think it's a very neat build, looks fucking fantastic and I would happily park it in my garage.

Gitzy
01-07-2010, 07:22 AM
Didn't you say its might be making an appearance in a certain mag Rob, that may greatly help your sale, there'd be more than a few blokes out there that have the coin but lack the skills to pull what you have off, and be happy to buy a ready built fighter, but your definately going to get the douche bags like we all do when you sell your pride and joy that will rubbish the $$ you put on it and try and justify a low price with whatever flaw they can find.. if blokes are willing to pay 40k+ for a Dues Ex machine with 20bhp in reality worth 10k (maybe if Billy Joel visited Extreme Creations he'd be hooning round on Judge instead of a 720 kwaka called the Sacred Cow, I mean come on Billy) surely 15+ for this isnt asking too much..

robmac
01-07-2010, 07:25 AM
Some more info.

Bike started life as a 1994 Blade and as far as I know has never been in an accident or been damaged. Engine had 50K on it before I pulled it out and stripped it. Everything was well within tolerance so a new camchain and tensioners were installed, valves done and it was bolted together. (Getting dyno'd shortly).

Jumping out of second gear is also a good sign of a worn box on these Blades and this one shifts really well, no jumping out of gear with smooth positive shifts every time. Clutch is good too.

Quick list of the mods...
VFR800 swingarm by Extreme Creations
Enkei wheel 210 Metzeler
K7 GSXR subframe and seat unit
GSXR exhaust
VFR shock (rebuilt)
CBR1000RR front end (rebuilt)
Billet top triple clamp
Radial master
FRP Levers
BXP Res
Acewell
Wave rotors
Braided lines front and rear (hidden thru swingarm)
Rizoma grips, bar ends, mirrors.
If it's black it has been powdercoated or anodised.
If it's metallic gun metal grey it's powder also.
Billet factory pro engine cover.
Billet fuel cap.
Samco silicon hoses.
Carbon heel guards.
Custom seat.
BXP rad cap.
Offset front sprocket and 520 conversion.
Little bit of custom paint....

I'm in no real hurry to sell it yet but if the bike I'm looking for comes up I'll be hastening the process somewhat. The sale price will in the same ballpark as Gitzy reckoned too.

In regards to it being worth the same as a standard bike I hardly think thats fair. If it was just a stage 1 fighter (OEM bike with fairings removed with bars and risers put on with a paint job)then fair enough but this has been significantly modified and is pretty much new so I don't think that the same conditions apply.

What price do you pay for being an individual?? Surely it can't be the same as everyone else......;)

KATO ZX7
01-07-2010, 07:39 AM
wow, thats alot of mods but i didnt realize how old she was, she certainly doesnt look it.

id say 12-15k?
thats too much for me but im happy with my Kwaka ;)

Fight_fan
01-07-2010, 07:47 AM
I gotta disagree with Gitzy on this one! I honestly couldnt see it fetching more that about 10-13K. I really like what you'v done wit it Rob, but bikes arnt worth shit these days hey... Bottom line is, all they are really getting is old tech that simply looks pretty, u may find someone that is willing to part with that sorta dough but I think u'l be waiting some time... That said, I wish ya the best of luck with it mate. I cnt wait to see what you come up with next!

RevHead
01-07-2010, 08:11 AM
ive got my gsxr1100w 93 insured with shannons for $10,000,premium costs me $487 a year,anygood streetfighter must be worth $10,000 minimum,ive seen some nice 1s on ebay for $5,000 and up $20,000

Fight_fan
01-07-2010, 08:18 AM
Thats an agreed value tho isnt it Pete, if u went to sell it there is no way in hell u would get 10k for it!

Gitzy
01-07-2010, 08:51 AM
quote:Originally posted by robmac

Little bit of custom paint....

You goose.. ;)

Hillsy
01-07-2010, 08:56 AM
The reality is that your bike is a custom bike in a niche vein of a small market interest. Joe Punter sees it as a 94 Fireblade with no fairings and "some mods". We see it differently of course, but then most of us wouldn't buy a finished fighter - we'd make one.

I don't know mate - I'd like to see you get $15K, but more than likely.....at the moment.....you'd be lucky to get $10K.

robmac
01-07-2010, 10:10 AM
I was just curious about how the guys that love the streetfighter look would price one.

If we take the same attitude as Joe public and price the bikes in the same range as a normal unmodified bikes or even less then we aren't doing ourselves any favours. Bikes with [u]decent</u> mods (swingarms, forks, engine etc) are imo worth more money but unfortunately the general attitude is that as soon as it is not oem then the value drops. In saying that some manufacturers bikes actually do get priced accordingly when they have been modded (with carbon, suspension etc) but the Jap bikes seem to miss out on this. Ducati, Harley, MV are just a few of the brands that attract a buyer that appreciates good mods and don't mind paying for them (yes I know they probably have more money to start with but I believe it's more a mindset than anything else).

I know the market for selling a bike hasn't been too good for the past 18 months and the market for this bike is relatively small but I'm still reasonably confident of selling for a decent price.

Anyway, thanks for all the opinions. As I said I was just curious to see what you all thought we are worth ;) No matter what the dollar value we all have something that Joe Public doesn't. Imagination, passion and a unique bike in the garage :D

nick76
01-07-2010, 10:58 AM
When it gets feautured in whatever mag its going in,get them to mention its up for sale.
Thats probably the best way to sell it at a decent price??

How'd you go with engineers etc?
Is it easily rego'd now?

nick76
01-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Also,if you get back what its cost you,would probably be the best outcome,but i don't think many of us ever do?

dave_isbald
01-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Its a shame but I reckon the lower end of the quotes above is realistic.

I tried to sell my fighter when it was still relatively new. It cost about $10k to build on a 4 week old stock bike - so all up nearly $30k. Didn't have a shmick swingarm like yours but amongst general biker land all I got was lot of 'well you've clearly smashed it up so I'll give you fuck all for it'. Fair enough I had but it was built as better bike than when it came off the shop floor.

If I'd have been patient enough maybe someone with enough knowledge of what it takes to build it would have given me decent money. Reality is though we are the minority of people who like bikes built this way and a lot of the guys here would build their own anyway. So you have a pretty tiny pool to fish from

I reckon you build these kinds of bikes cause you have a passion for them and unfortunately not to make cash.

Gitzy's bang on the money about the fuckwits who go to Dues but they know fuck all about bikes.
Maybe we need to get together, build a fluffy brand, sell a few lattes and we can all sell our bikes for shit loads when we fancy a new one

robmac
01-07-2010, 05:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by dave_isbald

I reckon you build these kinds of bikes cause you have a passion for them and unfortunately not to make cash.

Gitzy's bang on the money about the fuckwits who go to Dues but they know fuck all about bikes.
Maybe we need to get together, build a fluffy brand, sell a few lattes and we can all sell our bikes for shit loads when we fancy a new one

Totally agree mate and I'm under no illusion about making any money!!

Maybe we should get a generic frame/swingarm combo and build shit loads of bikes that actually have some horsepower and have a little bit of handling just for a laugh. No latte drinkers though, only the slighter tougher affogato crowd for us [:p]

Billy Bob
01-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Mate cant believe your selling, I cant and wont put a price on it, thats something that only you will come up with, The hours you have put in, the cost of the build, the swear words from the wife all this and more = passion and i dont think i can put a price on that. I would like to say mate, congratulations on a fantastic build, bikes like this is what is going to attract more people to the world of streetfighters. Mate in my books your a pro bike builder well done. Let us know when its going in the mag i will definately buy that issue.

Snaffler
01-07-2010, 07:39 PM
end of the day asking price is yours to except or loose..
we all know its cheaper to buy someone elses project rather than build one.. but trying to recover your cost or close to wont happen this time of year.. its fucked up out there and no one wants to spend loose cash, but will only if its cheap..
like all projects, fuck loosing to much cash on it and i my self would rather keep it than give it away, but looking at the year of the bike is the worst because you know small minds will only say
"ITS ONLY A 94" and forget the over all picture thats its a ground up rebuild with some of the best mods.. you just cant explain that to dick heads that dont know shit other than what there mates say..like
dude i can get this awesome fighter for like 15k.. mates say, dude u can get a 94 for like 3k and build one cheaper..

hand onto it for now until it picks up and better weather comes or put it out there around the fighter, stunt scene etc but places like ebay will be of no help i think..

G/L with the sale though as its a great looking bike and well sorted..

JackTar
01-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Dunno why you have the impression that Ben has never had prices on his bikes, which ones are you talking about? If my memory serves me correct I am pretty sure venom went for around 20k, bitza was 12k (I think) and the Judge is still for sale for more than any of the tight fuckers on here can afford.

robmac
02-07-2010, 07:00 AM
quote:Originally posted by JackTar

Dunno why you have the impression that Ben has never had prices on his bikes, which ones are you talking about? If my memory serves me correct I am pretty sure venom went for around 20k, bitza was 12k (I think) and the Judge is still for sale for more than any of the tight fuckers on here can afford.

I had never seen the bike with prices on them but thats not to say they didn't have prices, that would make them a little hard to sell! Most of Ben's bikes seem to sell pretty quickly (apart from Judge) so maybe when I looked it was post sale and the price was removed....

You buying Judge after ur next deployment??

Gixxer_rat85
05-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Me three! I agree with most of the other posts. Custom bikes are a funny thing, it`s all about the right ass for the right seat. Even stock bikes are a `personal taste` thing and customs even moreso. Most auction site trawlers wouldn`t know what they are looking at even if you spelled it for them. My advice is try to sell it to the right audience (either here or other custom bike sites). Even better advice is find a way to hang onto it, and build the next one as well. Baked beans can be cooked heaps of different ways, and you`ve built a friggin` awesome bike there! Cheers

EXBEN
05-07-2010, 09:15 PM
quote:JackTar Posted - 01 Jul 2010 : 21:20:09
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Venom went for 20k, Bitza went for $7500, Judge is off the market unless someone Realy want's it & is prepared to pay for it.
Robmac, ask what you want & you might just find someone that loves & will pay your asking price. Be prepared to wait tho. It's a small market.

Soroz
06-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Bitza went for 7.5k, fuck thats cheap!

JackTar
06-07-2010, 06:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by robmac

I had never seen the bike with prices on them but thats not to say they didn't have prices, that would make them a little hard to sell! Most of Ben's bikes seem to sell pretty quickly (apart from Judge) so maybe when I looked it was post sale and the price was removed....

You buying Judge after ur next deployment??

If I had Judge I would be too scared to fucking sit on it.

Gitzy
06-07-2010, 06:52 PM
If I had Judge I would be too scared to fucking sit on it.

Yep maybe for about 3 mins, then I'd put money on you doing this at minute 4.. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipijFHNszcE:D

robmac
06-07-2010, 09:03 PM
That was a fair bit of smoke!