PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable cam sprockets

sharky
09-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Are these worth using ? I am watching a set from Suncoast Enterprises in the states. I am planning to use a FJ12 lump and tweek it a bit (1260, flowed head etc.)
Will these sprockets make a useful difference or are they more aggro than they're worth ???

Booster
09-02-2007, 05:20 PM
you need either a solid recomendation from someone experianced with your exact setup for a cam centreline or spend some time on the dyno changing cam timing to find peak hp then adv the cams a couple of degrees to get greatest area under the hp curve .

may be handy if you want to put a gsxr 600 inlet cam on the 1k exhaust .
or if you decompress an engine for turbo advancing the cams as you lift the head further from the crank you can reset to desired specs.

sharky
09-02-2007, 06:57 PM
So No basically....I'm only looking for a decent road motor, nothing highly strung.

shift1313
09-02-2007, 10:11 PM
they are handy, but you will spend alot of time getting it right, especially without dyno time. There is a lot of calculation and speculation when it comes to this. Id say its not worth it with stock cams. or atleast the gains will be minimal. If you are going to run different cams, stiffer springs more lift etc, you might see alot more gain from degreeing your cam setup.

sharky
09-02-2007, 10:24 PM
At the moment the sprockets are US$9.99 on ebay.com. If I can get 'em cheap enough I will...
Shift, Any idea what they cost new over there ?

09-02-2007, 11:04 PM
Doesnt take much to slot the existing ones mate. It's just case of turning the existing bolt hole into a slot. Make sure you tighten them down properly though :D

abusa
09-02-2007, 11:10 PM
APE stock Adjustable Sprockets, $49US.
http://www.yamahazone.biz/sprockets.html

By the sounds of it probably not needed but if they come cheap enough, why not.

Shayne