PDA

View Full Version : Mirrors and dashes - what's legal?

Loz
23-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Hey guys

Just working on a new project - an old Yamaha SZR660 that I picked up cheap and plastic-free.

I'm going to have to transfer registration over at some stage, and I might end up selling it as a LAMS bike if the missus doesn't want it - so I need it to pass a Vic RWC.

Does anyone know what the laws are about mirrors and dashes? I'd go for an Acewell dash, but I'm trying to keep the whole thing under 2 grand, and I've just gone and blown $300 on a V-Rod headlight. So if I can get away with a minimal dash, that'd help. Same with mirrors, are there some that are roadworthy and others that aren't?

Cheers in advance.

80s freak
23-06-2010, 07:06 PM
As for mirrors basically anything that is big and ugly is roadworthy. Most places will pass anything of a half decent size. As for an Acewell dash there used to be issues with them. But that has eased now thanks to the CRF Hondas using a rebadged acewell unit. Once again it is pretty much upto the RWC inspectors opinion. Is the bike already rego'd or will it have to go to Vic Roads (this can make a huge difference to what they will pass)?

KATO ZX7
23-06-2010, 08:06 PM
im in Vic and i was passed with one x-postie bike mirror ;)

Loz
24-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks blokes. The bike is currently registered and I won't let that lapse, so it should just be a straight simple RWC.

timbo
24-06-2010, 07:25 PM
I had my bike registered with an acewell and small bar end mirrors and had no problem