PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding a thread hijack Gas systems

Redmohawk
15-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Thought I'd better post this somewhere more aproperate!

LOL timbo fuck the gas conversion mobs!

There looking to make big bucks out of you. Go to the local wreackers and pick up a good tank preferably with over 6 years on the tank still if your car is not efi your set if it is pre 95 is still easy just get one off the same model car if its efi most systems at a wreckers for a spud type sytem will set you back between $400 and $600, if its an efi system expect to pay a few hundred more. Bolt all the main bits in ie spud in intake converter in engine bay tank in/under boot yourself forget the original gas line needs to be new stuff to pass inspection. Get palie with a gas installer before you start get ther gas line off him (take the gas line home and mount it) explain what your up to ask for a few tips but dont make yourself look like a dumbie. And once all's good you drive it in to him he fits off the lines to the system and gives you the recept to claim your $2K Last one i did for a mate (I've done 3 now myself except for gas lines honast ;) ) And he had change of $800 out of the $2K It was a simple converter and a hat system with a big tank in a f100 ute once installed and approved use your $800 to buy a Mega Squirt Diy fuel injection computer and wide band oxygen sensor a high pressure gas injection converter and gas injectors do it yourself and enjoy! All up a compleat efi gas system for maybe $500 bucks and it will perform as good as petrol (gas vapor injection will drop maybe a little on economy maybe 5%) if you increase your compression up to 12 to 1 and regraph your dizzy just for gas it will prob be better than before when (motor was standard and on petrol)

If your keen on more outright power, leave the compression standard and bolt on a supercharger with a water to air intercooler and plum the intercooler water line into the gas converter line with a seperate water tank electric pump run elthel glycol in it and your gas system cools your intake temps ! Ethel glycol will stay liquid down to -5 deg for the good stuff but your converter needs to stay above +2 deg I had to run a seperate radiator made out of a air con evaporator with a electronic thermostat to make sure it didnt freeze (intake temps at 20 psi boost with temps pre intercooler at 120 deg c were down to 40 deg c post intercooler!) Plenty of fun to be had with this BBQ gas if your game to play lol

Most important thing is find a installer who is resonable, its far from rocket science installing this stuff, just use your head. Things like run gas lines up out of the way along chassie rails where stones n shit wont hit it, and eletrics on the other side etc. Half the conversions I've seen done by "prof installers" are crap they may be safe but crap none the less. No wonder people hate gas and say it plays up n eats car motors all the time.

RevHead
16-06-2010, 08:45 AM
gas fitters are a joke they charge so much for so little,ive fitted a few my self ,and it only cost $200 to get them certified in n.s.w,and always buy a used gas tank with gas init ,never buy an empty tank as it,l be rusty inside ,and never tell the gas fitter you fitted it other wise he,l tell you to piss off ,tell them you bought the car and it was init ,cheers

Redmohawk
16-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Thats it Pete, the guy I use down here knows the score and charges me $250 to fit off ends of line to tank and converter and signs off on install. He knows I've done em as I've done 3 through him now. He makes a quick Buck prob takes him 30 min to do the work $250 in his pocket. If your going for a high power install aim for a tank with 4 fittings on the tank then you can put twin outlets in two of the fittings to let you draw up to 400 Kw of gas from the tank. leaving the other two for your fill line and pressure release valve.