PDA

View Full Version : Fork Oil

StuNVA
12-06-2010, 02:01 PM
I just got some 5W Motul Synthetic fork oil, 2 x 1ltr bottles. The first bottle I opened was light in colour, fairly odourless and basically looked like I thought 5w oil would look like as I have never changed fork oil before. The second ltr was very dark brown, smelt like engine or even gear oil but didnt feel any heavier. I ended up only using about 20ml of the second litre but I was just wondering if this is normal or have motul fucked up ?? I got it from a shop 100ks away so I couldnt just take them back.

RevHead
12-06-2010, 02:44 PM
that 2nd bottle sounds suss,maybe its just real old stock ,

robmac
12-06-2010, 03:11 PM
You'll never know unless you use oil analysis on them both. Was it a fresh bottle unopened?

StuNVA
12-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Yeah they were both brand new all sealed like they should have been. I didn't take any notice until I went to top up the jug for the second fork as I only needed another 20 - 30mm and I just tipped it in on top of the lighter one and realised it wasnt the same colour, so I tipped a bit into a jug and it looked nothing like the first one.

I'll email Motul and see what they say.

El_Hefty
12-06-2010, 08:57 PM
most of the colour comes from the addative packages added to the oil.

The base stock i fairly light and if its a PAO synthetic its actually crystal clear most others, ester based synthetics etc are a very very light honey colour and are darkened by addatives, they could have been simply from two different batches from quite different times, check the packages for batch numbers and ring/email motul just to be sure

StuNVA
13-06-2010, 03:52 PM
The batch dates were 18/8/09 (light) and 04/02/10 (dark) so six months apart, I'll post up the reply from Motul if I get one.

oldskool
13-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Ther ya go. Motul are pritty well on the ballgood oils.