PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Loom Tips?

zx12argh
07-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Ok so I have to remove the dog turd of a wiring loom that is hanging off the side of my bike. From past experience electricity and me dont get along...[B)]:( So I'm looking for a few pointers.

My plan is to cut off all the unnecessary electrical tape then choose a wire find a good path for it cut it to the right length, join, solder, shrink tape done. Then repeat and try to group wires into common paths with that curly plastic wrap.

Some of my wires have big chunky connector blocks connecting 16 wires at a time - how do you guys get rid of those things or do you keep em and try to hid them some where? Do you use bullet or spade connectors for bits you want to pull of later? Or do you go buy proper connectors and wire them in.

Any hints and tips appriciated.

Cheers:D

sharky
07-02-2007, 12:03 PM
My tip would be don't use those poxy blue and red crimp on connectors. You will be cursing when they fail on the road to Dubbo....solder on spade and bullets/heatshrinked worth their weight in jap plastic.

Large
07-02-2007, 01:44 PM
and don't do them all in exactly the same spot or your loom will look like a snake that's swallowed a pig

08-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Those connector blocks are worth their weight zx, when you're working on the wiring they make it easier to put the loom back together without making a mistake. Individual connectors make it easy to get the connections wrong. Connect a 15 Amp wire into you're dash unit and watch the thing fry.
If you want to reduce the size, replace with similar connectors, but with fewer pin counts when you remove excess wiring.
The best thing to do is diagram out the loom after removing the excess, and locate the connectors according to you're needs. While it sounds like extra work, it will reduce problems, given the integrated complexity of japanese wiring systems (my headlight switch is currently also acting as my engine run switch, since I'm halfway through implementing new systems[:I]) (PS my new single LED idiot light system, and auto cancel indicator system is working a right treat if anyone wantr the plans, still have to complete the speedo unit, so that I can connect them and suspend the countdown timer while stopped at lights)
Heatshrink over the connectors makes for a strong link, but the tubing is stiff and a pain in the arse to remove when you have to do some work.

zx12argh
08-02-2007, 11:06 PM
Thanks guys - all very good advice. I'll have to raid jaycar on the weekend ;)

Stocky
09-02-2007, 08:29 AM
What they said.

Don't try to loose the connectors too much they are better than a bunch of bullets.

I've rewired a few bikes and used to wire stuff for a living.

The connections you do should be TOP quality or the water/vibration/time etc will kill them.

If you shorten a wire then solder it back together and heat shrink it. As mentioned, try to stagger joints so your snake hasn't eaten a pig.

If you run the loom well and support it occasionally it's hard to beat re wrapping it in electrical tape for reliability.

The other thing to consider is to get a good split flexible conduit. Then tape it every 6 inches when you are done.

The down side is that it can hold water/dirt if it can get in.

If you end up with loom where you can see it, it can look nice if you run it in flex conduit and then wrap it in elec tape to seal it. Then all the joints and wires are "hidden" in a nice round tube. The loom is a nice round shape and smooth.
Depends how much trouble you want to go to.

When I get my bike sorted and Tony's setup for good I've considered rewiring them from scratch.

You can buy some really nice "numbered" wire.

I wouldn't suggest a total rewire unless you know exactly what you are doing.

shift1313
09-02-2007, 10:47 AM
pulling the tape off a factory harness makes the wires nasty, be prepared. I want to just repeat what was said. Use factory connectors or connectors instead of individual connectors. You can buy connectors that accept standard bullets to make things easy. All your connectors need to be crimped and soldered!! no exceptions. Everything needs to be shrink wrapped. If you forsee riding in weather look for epoxy filled shrink. Put dielectric grease on all your connections. Dont make one big bundle. use quality wire and quality wire loom. After your connections are made, use a meter to check continuity. Its much easier to check them as you are soldering instead of when the bike is together and it wont start. At any point the factory wiring has a junction(ie 2wires to 1 wire) leave those. Shorten them on either side if needed. There really isnt one right way to do it but the quality of the job is only as good as the parts you use. cheap crimp connectors will bit you later on!!!!

good luck

09-02-2007, 10:49 PM
I should add that I'm not against heat shrink, just against long lengths of it. By all means use it on connections themselves, just don't get carried away. Use tape for long stretches of loom, it is sticky and annoying to work with, but will leave the wiring flexible.

alfiestorm
09-02-2007, 11:05 PM
Amalgamating tape is non stick and will adhere to its self only. Creating a flexible and waterproof seal and if done well it looks good and wont leave you with sticky gunge over your fingers unlike some women I know :D but thats another story

Zed14
09-02-2007, 11:26 PM
aussie women bath mate.

sharky
10-02-2007, 05:53 AM
And amagamating tape won't go hard like insulation tape...it remains flexible. BUT be sure to get the right stuff. My local shop got some in...a roll of 'shit to a blanket' rubber type....useless...
The right stuff is like insulation tape without the glue.