PDA

View Full Version : New Helmet which one?

ozkat
07-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Im going to buy a new helmet (putting the simpson away for racing only) Anyone have any recomendations? Must be reasonably quiet and have good ventilation. Also removable liner for washing would be nice.

God
07-02-2007, 12:45 PM
Hey Oz,

Mrs God & I both use AGV TiTechs.

Is niiice...

And I think they're on good special on the web at the moment.

BOHEMION
07-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Mate ive had a good run with the KBC VR2. the only downside i found is it gets alittle bit noisy when you attach an aftermarket visor. I believe afew other members have this helmet too.

scotty mac
07-02-2007, 12:55 PM
i've got a vr1 (kbc) not bad i still rather my old agv. the chrome is coming off the plastic bits n the liner needs replacing....my old agv was heavier n hotter but felt stonger n quieter...

ozkat
07-02-2007, 03:09 PM
I had a look at the RJays (made by KBC i think) the other day. The fibreglass model, nice and comfy, removable liner and lots of vents. $260 inc dark visor seemed like good value. Looks like this one but plain black. Anyone used them?

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/11291858620705.jpg

Iceman
07-02-2007, 05:14 PM
I bought a Nitro N1000-V the other day, it was marked from $239 down to $149. It fits good, I reckon it looks good, is nice and comfy, but fuck'n noisey at anything over 100kph, which unfortunatly is 3/4 of my trip to work.

Large
07-02-2007, 05:21 PM
get earplugs

Iceman
07-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Got earplugs

greg mulligan
07-02-2007, 05:48 PM
try arai or shoei before you buy a cheap bucket,ive seen what they look like after going up the road nasty.arai can stand up to a lot but are a bit pricey.

ozkat
07-02-2007, 06:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by greg mulligan

try arai or shoei before you buy a cheap bucket,ive seen what they look like after going up the road nasty.arai can stand up to a lot but are a bit pricey.
Ive used Arai, Shoei and AGV for years and found them very good but are they really any better safety wise than the helmets in the $200-$400 price range? I have no problem paying up to $1000 for a quality helmet but are they really any better? Or are you paying the $500 extra for the name and flash graphics?

fimpBIKES
07-02-2007, 06:07 PM
i wouldnt go outside the 300-500 dollar bracket
as long as it has a fibre-shell (not plastic) and it fits then i will consider it

my kbc vr-1 fits great, but definitely is noisy
there is a sexy looking HJC in streetfighters this month
and i have tested one of those HARD straight into the side of a car on the chin/face

and im still here

i dont think that the arai's and shoeis are THAT great
but it dont matter cos they dont fit me so meh

ps- in this months [Rapid] there is a full page ad for Nitro helmets
apparently Wayne Gardner himself approves them and says they are the bee's knees
pps- guess who imports em...?
ppps- guess what brand Wayne ISNT wearing on the next page in the photo of him :D

Cruisecontrol
07-02-2007, 06:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by ozkat

Ive used Arai, Shoei and AGV for years and found them very good but are they really any better safety wise than the helmets in the $200-$400 price range? I have no problem paying up to $1000 for a quality helmet but are they really any better? Or are you paying the $500 extra for the name and flash graphics?

I believe they all do the same job in the event of a stack. Either way they are rooted and need to be replaced.
The extra money pays for the 99.99% of the time you are wearing the helmet and not crashing in it. Better vents, padding, fittings, finish etc.
I have only owned high-end helmets and have only needed to replace them after crashes whereas I have mates that replace helmets due to broken visor mechs, straps and liners falling out.

Zed14
07-02-2007, 07:47 PM
i was wearing a nitro n510v when i flipped the sidecar and it held up good apart from a few scratches. id get another one.

xjrjack01
07-02-2007, 08:21 PM
I bought a HJC FG14 a couple of months ago, it's got a removable liner, Kevlar-Fiberglass shell, front & rear air vents also came with tinted visor. breath guard & chin curtain for those cold mornings. under$400.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/melgreen/phoblk.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/melgreen/DSCF5619-1.jpgMy old HJC & the new one,

suxukifreak
07-02-2007, 08:44 PM
These are $140 US

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/11291892651532.jpg

suxukifreak
07-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Or these from Craft............

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/11291892649244.jpg

JackTar
07-02-2007, 08:53 PM
I am also after a new bucket, is that picture of the craft from an Aussie seller or states?

suxukifreak
07-02-2007, 09:03 PM
States. I've bought off these guys and great service.........

http://www.kneedraggers.com/list/3.2

sharky
07-02-2007, 09:34 PM
The Craft one is the one I've got. Not the quietest lid, but no more than any other lid I've had.

TurboKat
07-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Large?..... any input on this subject?.... go on, you know you want to... ;)

Slingblade
07-02-2007, 11:51 PM
Stu is doing the Craft rx6. I tried one on at Bens shop, it was a size to small for me but it seems well made and looks hard as.

Large
08-02-2007, 06:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by turbokat

I'm on Postabate Patches...they help me resist the urges:)

Kamakazebusa
08-02-2007, 08:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by Large

quote:Originally posted by turbokat

I'm on Postabate Patches...they help me resist the urges:)

Hahahahaha......fcuk ur funny large. hey give us a call when u get a chance. PM sent....

next_fighter
08-02-2007, 09:52 AM
ok you want an amazing helmet get a premier full carbon fibre 1 these premier helmets are the lightest in the world the CF is all hand made and this particular premire helmet has beaten all shoei and arai helmets on saftey asspects and belive it or not these are actually cheaper than the shoei's n the arai's.

http://moto.caradisiac.com/IMG/jpg/12387460.jpg

scotty mac
08-02-2007, 10:26 AM
where do you get them from? how much? looks sweet[8D][8D]
quote:Originally posted by next_fighter

ok you want an amazing helmet get a premier full carbon fibre 1 these premier helmets are the lightest in the world the CF is all hand made and this particular premire helmet has beaten all shoei and arai helmets on saftey asspects and belive it or not these are actually cheaper than the shoei's n the arai's.

http://moto.caradisiac.com/IMG/jpg/12387460.jpg

zx12argh
08-02-2007, 12:45 PM
I've owned 3 shoeis - wrote 2 off in accidents and wore one out. Thats 2000 bucks worth of helmets. I'm now wearing the first helmet I ever bought - a HJC - cause I'm too skint to buy a new one.

If I had money coming out of my ass (or better yet a friendly young females ass) I would certainly by a shoei purely for comfort/sound reasons. In terms of safety - I've seen someone come off (hit a culvert at 80kmph and launched herself 2 metres into the air) wearing a $100 shark helmet and have no probs. They all have to come through the same safety regulations. I think the european standard is 2 impacts on the same area in three different locations of the helmet. May be wrong about that...

dane_ra
08-02-2007, 02:47 PM
One of the main differences between a cheap shit (under $250) helmet and a top end (arai, shoei) is that that materials (mostly padding)used are much better quality in the top end lids. Where a cheapshit will last anywhere from 12 months to 3 years before the lining is totally rooted and loose, a top end will last more like 5-7 years.

I know that they only recommend 5 years for a lid, but thats keeping in mind that they have to average it out, obviously a top end will last longer than a cheapshit, and they have to make up for that when making the 5 year suggestion.

But then again if you drop a $100 helmet and and $1000 helmet, they are both screwed and you get to pick another pretty design[:X]

hooligan
08-02-2007, 05:39 PM
I've crashed in a shoei (racing a bike down parramatta road at 3am) wrote the bike off, knocked unconcious (is that spelt right?) but walked away from it (after i woke up) and most recently in a HJC (t bone into the side of a van at 50ish cos dopey bitch turned left from the middle lane) and walkedfrom that, too (admittedly, i was going a bit slower in that crash)
I'd wear either of them again-depending on how pretty the pictures on the side are...

cutcat
11-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Hi guys, no-one has mentioned NOLAN. I've had 2 Nolans cos they fit my head nice and compfy but are way lacking in the noise area. I feel like I have no padding behind my ears. Could just be shape of my head but I am now looking for a change.
I paid the price using a cheap helmet in my motocross days. I used a cheapie cos my girlfriend spent all she could afford on one. She didn't know the difference. I didn't have the heart to tell her the helmet was crap. The helmet was way heavy and had poor padding.....broke my neck and had a bruised brain for longer than I should.