PDA

View Full Version : Hmm Do I need a K&N stage 1 jet kit

jakam04
07-02-2007, 11:24 AM
I have seen these on ebay and am thinking it might help liven things up a lil more on my bike. Even though Im still running my stock airbox on my bike, would it be preferential that if I get this kit to also buy a K&N filter too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140083290845&rd=1

Any advice is appreciated.

Jarrod

Hillsy
07-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Here's a blurb from their site:

STAGE ONE KITS
Intended for motorcycles with a stock engine using the stock airbox, K&N air filter and stock pipe. Stage 1 kits are fully adjustable to allow the use of well designed aftermarket pipes and K&N stock replacement air filters. Stage 1 kits are designed to improve throttle response and driveability and in most cases power increases of approximately 5% throughout the entire power range can be achieved.

http://www.knpowersports.com/power_kits.htm

sharky
07-02-2007, 12:13 PM
This is their reply when I asked why I had to go way up on main jet to get the bike to run right....

quote:We do R&D on our jet kits before we release them and the setting recommendations we use are a base line setting. Because bikes are not identical the settings can vary from bike to bike. Our needles are adjustable and we do supply different size main jets with our kits to accommodate the user; however there may be times when the user has to use a main jet not supplied with our kit. While this may happen, it is rare occurrence as we sell thousands of jets kits without problems.

I had fitted the biggest stage 3 jet in the kit (122) and needed 130 to pull right.

alfiestorm
07-02-2007, 06:44 PM
If your gonna put a dyna jet kit in you might as well wait until you fit these micron cans I am holding for you and put a stage 3 kit on the bike it does mean you will have to get some pod filters I would recommend the dual oval type k&n filters and not only will your bike go much better and sound better it will also look a lot better as the original air box wont be there.

You know it makes sense :D

Cruisecontrol
07-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Stage I does seem to be a wasted step.

loosebruce
07-02-2007, 08:15 PM
I think the US models stayed with 38mm carbs, the OZ ones should be 40mm from '95 on.
Long way to go to send em back.
I bought some Dynojets from Mick Hone on eBay, old stock, guess what?
Live and learn

Ed74mnd
08-02-2007, 08:08 AM
easier to get jets from

www.iwt.com.au

Cheers

Ed

Hillsy
08-02-2007, 11:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by Ed74mnd

easier to get jets from

www.iwt.com.au

Cheers

Ed

Hmmmm....now I feel like building a cart.....

shift1313
09-02-2007, 11:04 AM
on my gpz i run bumped compression, k&n individual filters and a 4-1 kerker without a jet kit. I bumped my main jets up to 185, pilots a little bigger, and shimmed the needles and drilled out the air hole in the piston. The best thing those kits offer is the adjustable needle and softer spring. Alot of kits also offer an air correction jet which is nice to have, but you can tune a bike properly without the kit if your willing to try. one nice thing is they will fax you the instructions for the jet kits. this gives you jet size, needle position and fuel screw turns etc. nice starting point. oh i forgot their adjustable needles are also a different taper.