PDA

View Full Version : 99 GSXR600 Problem

Soroz
09-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Just had my gixxxr serviced today and on the way home if was making a bloody loud noise in the engine/front end area. The place i got it fixed said there is a bad noise and I will need to replace the engine (they said i was looking at around 4k for them to sort the problem out).
When i took the bike there, there was no noise AT ALL! Do you guys reckon they are taking me for a ride or does anyone know anything about these bikes which could cause this (sounds like paper being scrunched over and over again). There was a recall in the US in 99 because the cam chain tension was fucked but not too sure on this.

Thanks guys

yoda
09-06-2010, 08:09 PM
i'd suggest you check for a midget in the front end area scrunching paper..

front end or engine? front end could be headstem bearings, engine.. well.. thats a different story!

robmac
09-06-2010, 09:06 PM
I'd check for the cat that you ran over that was eating a packet of chips........

but seriously, can you be more descriptive? Is a metallic sound? Does it only happen when the bike is moving? In gear? Neutral etc..

Soroz
09-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Sorry, ill go into more detail....

1. The front end noise is like scrunching paper: sounds like its in the area of the front wheel, only happens when im moving, sounds like something is rattling.

2. When the bike gets over 5k rpm and is under load (throttle) it sounds as if the engine is struggling to pick up. The bike gains speed fine but just sounds as if its having trouble. (I think this is what will cost 4k to fix)

Im going back to the Service place where i got it "fixed" to ask them in more detail what they think, then will go back to the dealer from which i bought the bike from. The dealer did say there was a rattle in the engine but said the mechanics thought it was not an issue.

RevHead
10-06-2010, 08:27 PM
mate i lived in canberra,,some yrs ago ,i tok my then 1 year old gsx750 et,,to a bike shop ,suzuki harley dealer in fyswich for a service ,i got there after they were closed to pick up my bike key was under the rear wheel,anyway,when i started it it was making a scretching scrunching sound,when i contacted them they told me it wasnt there prob and they hadnt caused it ,,any hoo when i pulled the motor out and stripped it, it had spun a big end bearing ,cause from wot i could see was it had been started with no oil in it and got hot on 1 ,and 4 number 4 was the bearing that had spun,so i bought an 1100 that was smashed and tookthe motor ,

Soroz
10-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Sounds like a bit of work aye. Well i spoke to both places and the service one said they have no clue what the noise is... so i went to the dealer from which i bought the bike and bought 3yr warranty just incase something fucks up on it. SO problem is kinda solved, for now.

Redmohawk
10-06-2010, 10:36 PM
If a sevice place said they have no clue your going to the wrong place to get it serviced! They should have half a clue as to where its coming from or highly likely there fuckwits.

RevHead
11-06-2010, 08:26 AM
sounds like service is passing the buck they took your bike out for a test ride and flogged it till it hurt glad to here the warrentty is coming to the rescue ,excellent

Booster
11-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Timing chain tensioner is a problem in the srad model gixxers, ususlly sounds like a diesel at ~ 3-3500 rpm free revving
and something that needs attending to as soon as its heard , not a big job to replace but you have to pull the cam cover and zip tie the chain to the sprockets so it all stays in place when the tensioner is removed..

Hillsy
11-06-2010, 09:22 AM
quote:Originally posted by Soroz

Sorry, ill go into more detail....

1. The front end noise is like scrunching paper: sounds like its in the area of the front wheel, only happens when im moving, sounds like something is rattling.

2. When the bike gets over 5k rpm and is under load (throttle) it sounds as if the engine is struggling to pick up. The bike gains speed fine but just sounds as if its having trouble. (I think this is what will cost 4k to fix)

Sounds like something going on with your wheel bearings / calipers / or the tyre rubbing on the guard or something? If you can lift the front and spin the wheel by hand it might give you a clue.

Soroz
11-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Yeah, im going to pull the front weel off today and have a look at that problem. If all else fails ill flog the bike till it blows and use the warranty for a new engine :D