PDA

View Full Version : RGV suggestions

moriss1
09-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Yes I am new to site and a victorian to boot so be easy on me.
Any hoo I am between bikes at the moment and I have in my shed a complete RGV M? model .When I pulled it down the barrels were scoured and it looked like it had eaten some dirt along the way.
So I hate to see the beautiful frame wheels etc go to waste so

why not an engine swap?
My problem is I aint smart.
Idont want to put in a big single cause they dont rev enuf so I thought a twin would be the way to go but I am struggling to work out good candidates.

So far there are things like
suzuki sv650
hyosung gt650

honda transalp transpal
yamaha trx (too big?)
etc
then I struggle and thought kawasaki kle 500
so has any body out there got better suggestions(printable) or reasons why any of above are best choice
I am looking at better performance than what it started life as,
performance potential,ease of mounting etc

I am interested in your thoughts but if you suggest harley leave your address so you can receive the complimentary biff in the beak
Ta

Deano
09-06-2010, 06:35 PM
tl motor i think. fucked if i no if it would fit but i would try

BANDITROD
09-06-2010, 06:58 PM
yep what deano said and you need a slap for even mentioning that hyosung crap

BANDITROD
09-06-2010, 06:59 PM
what about a big single two stroke motor

Swordsy
09-06-2010, 07:12 PM
SV650 motors are too big for the frame, ask Fimp, he's got one mocked up at the moment (by mocked up, I mean strung up with ratchet straps :P).

bladehunter
09-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Go the big single, nothing like the grin one can put on ya face....or maybe CR500 ?

ALBI
09-06-2010, 08:17 PM
i remember a few yrs ago in streetbike mag a bloke in englnad made a lucky strike 500gp replica out of the rgv t 250 used a yamaha 500 for the life of me cant rememeber he even had the leathers aswell looked the dogs nuts

moriss1
09-06-2010, 08:18 PM
big two stroke was considered now to find one
only issue is lighting etc

nick76
09-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Get your hands on a Aprilia SXV550 engine.
Some bloke somewhere in Aus put one in a Aprilia RS,i never saw the finished product,but im sure it would've gone well.
Someone one here must have it,and may be able to post up a link,or scan and upload the mag story.
I had an SXV550,and it went fkn awesome.

ozzy1100
09-06-2010, 09:01 PM
lol spend the $ at the 2strokeshop they do that motor they put in apilla rs250s
500cc 2stoke on a banshi bottom end their intenals barrels and heads mental as
around 130 hp of big bang twin (basicly 2x cr 250) cant find the link but its been on here before

bluemk1
10-06-2010, 01:50 AM
quote:Originally posted by nick76

Get your hands on a Aprilia SXV550 engine.
Some bloke somewhere in Aus put one in a Aprilia RS,i never saw the finished product,but im sure it would've gone well.
Someone one here must have it,and may be able to post up a link,or scan and upload the mag story.
I had an SXV550,and it went fkn awesome.

not sure if your talking about jeff the editor from rapid but he has done that and raced his in the BEARS series with some success i understand

Jockney Rebel
10-06-2010, 03:58 AM
yep Jeff won the bears series last yr on his 550 in aRS frame ....how about something along these lines tho
kawasaki triple 500 tuned to fuk ,or bored out 350lc ive seen em upto 450cc 90hp[easy swap ]or stick 2 250rgv lumps together and make a V4 500

Hillsy
10-06-2010, 08:58 AM
quote:Originally posted by Jockney Rebel

yep Jeff won the bears series last yr on his 550 in aRS frame ....

And it was Exben that did the work I believe....

I remember a guy in Streetbike many moons ago that used to put BSA twins in the RGV chassis (A65 ??). Anyway, it looked great - lined up with the frame quite nicely. And he phased the crank as well. So, a twin would be the easiest option.

Don't go KLE though - you can get more power out of a whipper snipper.

fimpBIKES
10-06-2010, 12:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by Swordsy

SV650 motors are too big for the frame, ask Fimp, he's got one mocked up at the moment (by mocked up, I mean strung up with ratchet straps :P).

yeah, what he said...

to be honest, it COULD be made to fit
but you would be modifying the frame too much for it to be getting engineered and on the roads in NSW
unless you went down the "individually constructed vehicle" route

i think a big single would be the way to go
thats the sort of RGV i would like to own.... [8D]

Dick
10-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Check out the KTM 690 LC4 motor. They love the revs (for a single) and make pretty reasonable power. They also don't have the stupidly short service intervals of the Aprilia twins.

DiscoDan
10-06-2010, 02:49 PM
How about an RGV motor? They love the revs, make good power and I'm pretty sure you can fit one in.

One of the newer generation 450 thumpers would be good as well, something like a WR. Like Disk mentioned, I've heard horror stories about the service intervals and reliability/longevity of the Aprilia twins

pappas
10-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Newer big singles rev upwards of 10,000rpm.

nick76
10-06-2010, 04:40 PM
The Apes are fine,so long as the cases have the black case sealant,and you keep an eye on the oil.
They like to use abit.
Dealers used to sell them to mechanically inept people,and not fill them in on oil levels etc,and they did nothing til service time,but before service time was up,there was no oil left!!!Bang.
Afew years ago when i had mine,Dave Ward had done nearly every warrenty job on them in Aus,and he's only seen two have an actual mechanical failure,one was a faulty piston that the first 200 bikes ever made had,and the other was basically down to the team rider,by over revving it on the down shift.
Every failure has been down to case sealant failure,or not checking oil levels.

Redmohawk
10-06-2010, 10:40 PM
wr425 getting cheap now theres a good one low k's at the local wreacker here for $1500 make it go ok plenty of wheelie power lol

pappas
11-06-2010, 09:16 AM
WR426 maybe?

nick76
11-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Isn't Roland Sands Designs (RSD) building its own race bikes using 450MX motors??

bluemk1
11-06-2010, 02:40 PM

Isn't Roland Sands Designs (RSD) building its own race bikes using 450MX motors??

motors frames and swingarms with new front ends.

DiscoDan
11-06-2010, 03:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by bluemk1

It's a pretty popular class in the US and UK, seen one at a track here in Oz. Slow but good entry level racing

fimpBIKES
11-06-2010, 08:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by DiscoDan

How about an RGV motor?

where are all the moderators?!?!?
INSTANT LIFETIME BAN!!!!!! ;)

seriously though, the rgv motors are getting hard to come by arent they?
probably cos most people who race them have 3 engines each LOL

Jockney Rebel
11-06-2010, 09:01 PM
jeffs got about 10 of em fimp ..all blown up mind u lol

bluemk1
12-06-2010, 03:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by DiscoDan

quote:Originally posted by bluemk1

It's a pretty popular class in the US and UK, seen one at a track here in Oz. Slow but good entry level racing

how slow are we talking about?
was considering something similar to get me into trackdays and possibly racing at a much later stage.

im guessing slow because of the lack of straight line grunt but should have very decent corner speed?

Redmohawk
12-06-2010, 11:24 AM
There passing road 600s in the corners ! Just being left behind down the straights is all.

nick76
12-06-2010, 02:05 PM
They'd be the thing to have,something like the RSD bikes for tracks like Wakefield Park,or even ride days at Marulan.
Both these tracks are tight,with no real long straights anyway.
Im trawling around looking for a supermono bikes from years ago,so if anyone knows of one,let me know!!!
250GP Chassis,with a nice big single would be awesome fun.