PDA

View Full Version : 2011 I.O.M

yoda
08-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Righto.. i've bitten the bullet.
Going to the race next year, then maybe a week of drinking scotch in the highlands somewhere.

Few questions..
Is anyone else going?

Anyone that has, whats the go?? Wont have a bike(prob hire car), whats the easiest way to get round the track-is there a bus or anything?

What else should i consider??

Should i try to stay on the island, or back on the mainland somewhere and ferry over to watch?

Cheers!

hutch
08-06-2010, 08:18 PM
stay on the island nighttime is not to be missed . hire a car but buck well in advance. wife just said that i should go so im in if everything works out ok

Gix11
08-06-2010, 08:31 PM
If all goes well I'll be there again.

The "Go" is thousands of bikes on a small island and loads of madness.

Don't need a car, there's buses, taxis, if you're lucky enough you can walk to the track, there's mate's you'll make who'll have vans, it's one big party.

Consider a liver transplant booking when you're finished, consider how fucking cold it will be, and consider why the fuck you never did it before!

You'll need to book very soon, and you stay on the Island mate. It ain't cheap and you'll probably end up camping. Ferries book out and hotels, pubs etc book out well in advance and charge a fortune.

If you try researching now you'll probably get somewhere good.

Consider the main areas of Douglas and Ramsey if you want to walk. We seem to have ended up at Castletown for the last 2 times I've been but it's still easy to get to the track via a bus and nightlife via taxi (or some scrubber if you're my brother):

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1276039333.jpg

Ramsey Sprint Straightliners and Streetfighters day is in Ramsey (plus it's awesome to watch Mad Sunday from). Live bands hit the marquees in Peel and the good old days of street stunts and bands seem to have left Douglas but people still flock there at night (it's also behind the start - finish straight).

Good luck. There's heaps of guys here to advise...

Large
08-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Definitely stay on the island. The trip is a few hours and about $200 return so you dont want to do that every day

Accomodation wont be cheap in douglas or ramsey (40-100 pounds a night), campgrounds were about 20 pounds a night. If you stay in an out of the way campground you'll spend a fortune on taxis or wait for buses.

Having a bike means you can do laps of the track at your leisure. During practice week the whole mountain part is one way and practice is only for 2 hours each evening so plenty of time to play. A hire car would pay for itself if you can share with 2 or 3 others(and one stays sober every night)

Jo (gsxar) was talking about going a while back. Si (gix11) is a definite maybe, I'm seriously thinking about it...

You will need to book something soon, the ferries and accomodation will fill up quickly.

Hagarr
08-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Fuck the ferry I booked Manx Airlines from Manchester.

30-40 minute flight, taxi to Douglas 15mins (Put your seat belt on they're fucken crazy!!) Drinking Piss at Joe's Bar all at just over an hour AHHHHH!

wackyrider
08-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Can't say anything for sure. But plan is to be in Malta next year at some point for about 6 weeks. Only prob is that it falls perfectly on my b'day.
I was thinking of celebrating my 30th back home

BANDITROD
09-06-2010, 07:03 PM
i would love to come with ya mate but i am focused on finishing predator first

yoda
09-06-2010, 07:57 PM
cheers guys..
prob will try to get a room somewhere, going with my old man and i'm not sure how keen on camping he'd be.
any recommendations?

Gix11
09-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Start at the begining I guess and send a few emails: http://www.gov.im/tourism/accommodation/isle-of-man-hotels.aspx

There's more if you do a search.

Remember, the biggest areas to stay are Douglas (where the ferry lands) and Ramsey. So if you're not riding / driving, this will mean the least walking/buses/taxis - it will also mean the most expensive and quickest to book out. Also remember that as people leave the event this year they will pre-book their next year at the same place, so act fast.

FIGHTERMC
10-06-2010, 12:46 PM
i'll be there myself next year.
i'll be booking in the next few weeks
i also have a house sorted for 5 or 6 of us
its expensive{220 each}but worth it.

Gix11
10-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Where you staying next year Frank?

Large
10-06-2010, 02:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by FIGHTERMC

Any garden at that house frank? Say somewhere you could put a tent?[:p]

FIGHTERMC
10-06-2010, 03:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

Where you staying next year Frank?

same house we had last year Si
in onchan.
just around the corner from sign post corner
on the course.

FIGHTERMC
10-06-2010, 03:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by Large

there is Large

Large
10-06-2010, 03:59 PM
ooh indeed.

How long you there for Frank?

Would you mind a visitor or two for a week or so? Promise to keep the roses watered

Tony OW31
10-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Also if you're skint, hire a transit van and kip in the back and go to the swimming baths every day to shower etc, did this a few times when I was racing there.

Gix11
10-06-2010, 06:10 PM

there is Large

Might have to see if I can't drum up some interest with Rog again. Fuck Castletown this time, I'm over that.

Large
10-06-2010, 06:19 PM

there is Large

Might have to see if I can't drum up some interest with Rog again. Fuck Castletown this time, I'm over that.

Fucking oath.

I reckon buy a cheapy tent/sleeping bag. Talk nicely to Frank (learn to speak Irish or at least learn when to nod to be sure ) Throw in some pounds to Frank and friends for the space. Drink 5 double jds and 10 pints of cider. Break camera. Fall over in shower etc etc.

I'm so very close to being in!

Gix11
10-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Just practise "whun, toe, tree", we should be sorted then.

Large
10-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Turdee tree and a turd?

Gix11
10-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Close, terty tree and a turd.

FIGHTERMC
11-06-2010, 09:17 AM
LoL lads.
leave it with me Si/large
and i'll see what we come up with.
there are 2 sitting rooms in the house
and i'm sure we can sort something out.

Gsxar
11-06-2010, 12:00 PM
I wanna go too :D There goes work for the day as I look up infomation :)

Large
12-06-2010, 08:52 AM
You can get at least this close to the action-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QstllY7ysho

FIGHTERMC
15-06-2010, 01:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-t3edy4Hv8&feature=related

some on board action

geesexar
15-06-2010, 04:34 PM
fuckin wild gotta get there within 2 years or Im gonna go nuts

Lee1170
30-06-2010, 12:23 AM
Alright lads.

I'm just back from the Isle. I'm from Ireland and the TT was an annual visit for me and my mates before I landed in Melbourne. It was great to be back again watching the bikes scrape their fairings at the bottom of Brae Hill.

My plan is to organize a 2011 trip (Centenary of the Mountain Course) which will include pretty much everything.

I will be travelling from start to finish with the group.
But of course you are the boss.

As it's a big trip, we will take advantage of the pubs in Ireland before jumping on the ferry to the Isle. Certainly have a few pints in Joey Dunlops Bar.

The North West 200 precedes the TT and it would be a shame not to take advantage of this race. http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/nw200/index.shtml

A lap of the TT is a must. I can sort bikes to rent (or post your ride for you) But at the very least a toured lap of the track via car by an ex rider commentating the route is on the schedule.

Accommodation from Tent to the Hilton is your choice. I've done both and each has there advantages. (though only 1 has a buffet breakie and swimming pool lol)

Anyway, its midnight. I'm off to bed. I will post a proper plan of attack here soon.
In the meantime you can give me a call 0409 252 292 anytime to have a chat about the 2011 TT.

Lee. Melbourne.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqRcdvevn1g&feature=related

yoda
26-09-2010, 07:33 PM
i'm all booked in.. staying in Douglas, and have grandstand tickets(whether they get used or not is another story).
CANNOT FUCKING WAIT!!!!

Who else is definitely going?

Gix11
27-09-2010, 01:25 PM
FighterMC and the Irish boys are definitely going. I'm still struggling....

Harry
27-09-2010, 10:58 PM
whats a round about figure for a trip like that cost...i know it's a big question[:o)]

Gix11
28-09-2010, 10:14 AM
With or without your bike?

Ask Morry or Large as they have both done it independantly. I have friends and family over there so I can get away with a lot of things, so I can't really comment.

yoda
28-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Umm im not exactly sure, airfares are around the $2000 mark, then its really up to you what you do/spend while you are there..

Harry
29-09-2010, 01:53 PM
cheer's,was going this year but a mate pulled out leaving me solo:( so i canned it...but i will make it !

Large
29-09-2010, 03:26 PM

With or without your bike?

Ask Morry or Large as they have both done it independantly. I have friends and family over there so I can get away with a lot of things, so I can't really comment.

I've got rellies in the uk, which is good for free accom, but it means I need to allow at least another week to catch up with them all

Large
29-09-2010, 03:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by Harry

whats a round about figure for a trip like that cost...i know it's a big question[:o)]

Start here-http://www.getrouted.com.au/des_isleofman.html

Then work backwards.

You need to allow about 2000 for flights, plus maybe 3-400 for the train to Liverpool (or that other place that has ferries to IOM) and the ferry trip.

Accomodation on the island can range from 20 pounds a night in a tent to 30-50 pounds a night in a b&b

If you're going all that way, you might consider catching a couple more events- it's non stop motorracing that time of the year in Europe.

[8D]

MONO
29-09-2010, 08:27 PM
This one is definitely one i want to do .......next year mmmm
Is there going to be an organized ASF crew/contingent

Harry
01-10-2010, 10:38 PM

Then work backwards.

You need to allow about 2000 for flights, plus maybe 3-400 for the train to Liverpool (or that other place that has ferries to IOM) and the ferry trip.

Accomodation on the island can range from 20 pounds a night in a tent to 30-50 pounds a night in a b&b

If you're going all that way, you might consider catching a couple more events- it's non stop motorracing that time of the year in Europe.

[8D]
thanks for the advice Large..........

FIGHTERMC
02-10-2010, 04:50 AM

FighterMC and the Irish boys are definitely going. I'm still struggling....

yes all booked up and ready to go.
we have a house got it's alittle expensive
at 250gbp each but fook it i aint staying in a tent
anymore done it for too long.

Jinx
10-10-2010, 06:34 PM

Then work backwards.

[8D]

Just spoke to Dave from Get Routed and he's still got some accomodation left at a pub on the track. Looking at about $6000 to get your bike over and back with B&B and transfers. Your air fares are on top of that.

Harry
11-10-2010, 01:21 PM
waitting on the travel agent to get back to me on a package price for air fare's and accomadation but im looking at flying to london and hiring a bike for a week ($614au for a 1250 bandit) to do a lap of england and then over to the island for a week to par-take in the madness...fingers crossed it's not over the top $$$, let ya's know wen i get the info.

Gix11
04-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Ok, well I'm definitely in now. Booked campsite and ferry so anybody fancy a beer at Jaks?

Fight_fan
05-03-2011, 07:11 AM
Im making plans to go next year... Cant wait!

yoda
06-03-2011, 08:24 PM
For sure Si..
Staying in a hotel in Douglas.
Not long now hey!

Gix11
07-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Good stuff mate. I'll catch up with Frank and the Irish boys and let you know when we'll be there.

FIGHTERMC
12-03-2011, 07:45 AM
we are there the 2nd of june and home on the 7th Si.
will meet up for drinks me thinks

Jinx
12-03-2011, 08:04 AM
A load of Aussies are staying at Ginger Hall which is right on the track. My brothers bike was shipped out of Brisbane with about 20 others in a container last week.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJwUFTRa8kw

Gix11
14-03-2011, 12:10 PM

we are there the 2nd of june and home on the 7th Si.
will meet up for drinks me thinks

Nice one Frank, we arrive on the 3rd and leave on the 6th. The ferry leaves on the 2nd at 3am so I'm guessing it's going to be a bar trip across so that friday night will probably be the best bet - we'll be in a state but we won't have to carry Large this time.

FIGHTERMC
14-03-2011, 03:09 PM
we are in late too si
can meet up on the friday night
in jaks.

Large
14-03-2011, 04:26 PM
carry me?

I carried the room that first night!

Gix11
14-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Luckily you had your expensive camera to sit on to take a rest though.

Lee1170
09-04-2011, 12:31 PM
I've got a group of 6 going. All booked.

There are flights to Dublin for less than $1700 found at expedia.com

If you guys are making last min plans. Check you can get to the island from either England or Ireland as the boats are filling fast.

yoda
06-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Less than a month to go..
Where is everyone staying?

Gix11
06-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Outside Douglas.

FIGHTERMC
07-05-2011, 12:01 AM

Outside Douglas.

same here but walking distance from the
prom and the pub.

FIGHTERMC
07-05-2011, 12:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdvf3LBYm9k

some nice riding here
jesus them new r6's are fast

Lee1170
07-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Mate, listen to him clutching it up through the gears. He's even doing in mid corner:(

Let Big Dave show you the Mountain on Sunday. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOnCWTXcvOM

FIGHTERMC
08-05-2011, 01:00 AM
ya DJ was something else.
met and saw him ride there a couple of time.
a good guy.

Lee1170
11-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Hutchy out for TT 2011.

http://www.iomtt.com/News/2011/05/11/Ian-Hutchinson-will-miss-2011-TT-Races.aspx

FIGHTERMC
12-05-2011, 08:01 AM
ya heard that today
me thinks guy martin should have a
good TT.

yoda
23-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Fingers crossed this volcano doesnt proper fuck all my plans!

I'm, staying on the promenade in Douglas, planning to be at Creg Ny Baa on the Saturday, Peel sunday, not 100%on what days ive got tickets for where for the rest of the week except for VIP and grandstand on friday.

If anyone wants to catch up for a beer look me up on facebook(Jon Shea) or send me a pm on here..

Guy Martin for the win!

Gix11
23-05-2011, 10:24 PM
You going to the Streetfighters Mag do at Peel on Sunday night?

Mate, do yourself a favour and get to Ramsey on the Sunday. You'll get to see the Streetfighters organised 8th mile sprint and all the Mad Sunday riders coming through past the pubs causing havoc.

Gix11
23-05-2011, 10:26 PM
By the way, as mentioned on the Facebook page: Anybody from the UK want a return ferry ticket from Liverpool leaving early hours of Friday 3rd and coming back on the Monday (or is it Tuesday?). It's free if you do.

Gix11
27-05-2011, 03:36 PM
As also mentioned on the Facebook page:

7pm Jaks Pub Douglas Promenade Friday 3rd June 2011.

I may be in a state....

yoda
27-05-2011, 06:32 PM
there with bells on!
any more details on the SF mag thing Si? ie where and when and stuff!

BANDITROD
27-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Have fun ya lucky bastards

Gix11
27-05-2011, 07:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by yoda

there with bells on!
any more details on the SF mag thing Si? ie where and when and stuff!

Mad Sunday (June 5th), The Highwayman Pub in Peel.

Pick up a copy of Streetfighters mag when you're in the UK. Details are in there (unless you're a subscriber and then just check the latest issue that got delivered).

yoda
28-05-2011, 08:22 AM
cool, i'll see what i can do!