PDA

View Full Version : Home Brew Engine Cage

zx12argh
06-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Thought I'd post some models of the engine cage cruisn and I made on the weekend - took a bunch of photos but left the camera at his place.

Its come up a treat and a lot cheaper then the $550 ones that look like crap off egay. So far materials have only cost me $40. :D

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/97761539855354.jpg
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/97761539835570.jpg

shift1313
07-02-2007, 08:13 AM
cool. is the material 1/2 solid round?

zx12argh
07-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Yup, just bent the pieces to the same curve and welded them up from behind so it looks really trick. I've used 2.5mm wall 25mm nominal bore tubing for the mounts. I've going to make up some aluminium sliders for the cage and wheels. Hopefully have the cage on and painted black this weekend.

Would have had it done but my mate who was helping me (I cant arc weld for shit) accidentally reversed over a mates VFR800... We had to do some emergency panel repairs.

Kamakazebusa
08-02-2007, 08:12 AM
we do have a talented bunch on here......well done ZX

Jockney Rebel
08-02-2007, 09:48 PM
q 4 u ive seen some bars on a cb900 im told there frame stiffeners anyone enlighten me?they run from the front engine mounts to the rear engine mounts just above the genny cover bty zx they do look very nice [8D]

zx12argh
08-02-2007, 11:11 PM
if you are running any extra material node to node between those points its totally going to stiffen up the frame. especially if you have a cast allumium frame - cant say about the cb900 bars - haven't seen em.

seriously - these bars were a piece of piss - my toolkit consisted of a hacksaw, angle grinder/cutter, bench vice (a must have for any workshop - spent too much time drilling and cutting shit without being to hold it properly) a tape measure, bench grinder and an arc welder. - happy to give the run down to anyone interested but they really are as simple as they look.

09-02-2007, 12:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by frankenbiker

q 4 u ive seen some bars on a cb900 im told there frame stiffeners anyone enlighten me?they run from the front engine mounts to the rear engine mounts just above the genny cover bty zx they do look very nice [8D]

Yeah, I've seeen them before Frankie, don't know if they really do that much though since most of the flex in those frames was around the steering head and swing arm pivot area, and along the top rails to a lesser extent. If the mounts are done up correctly the engine itself performs the same function.
The worst area for flex was actually the front forks, the stanchions of which were way too long for their diameter. A good fork brace worked better.

shift1313
09-02-2007, 10:53 AM
the bars that connect the engine mount points are typically used on bikes pushing high HP. Puts less stress on the motor and keeps your frame from tacoing on itself. this is a drawing but i think what your talking about
http://homepage3.nifty.com/utaka/favorite/img/tukigi-ninja.jpg

i dont think ive ever seen it used on a twin spar frame. usually old bikes where the frame still cradles the engine and has a single "spine" under the tank. The dont offer strength for flexy steering heads or swing arm pivots. stricly for load under accel.