PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Advice needed

jakam04
04-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Hey guys,

When putting on my new bars and risers etc, I found that I had to lower my forks in the yokes almost an inch to allow bar to clear the top adjustors on my forks.

With this adjustment, it has made my bike a little unsteady in certain circumstances.. Is there a way to adjust the rear to compensate for this adjustment now that the forks have been lowered almost an inch.

Thanking you in advance

Jarrod

crazymofo
04-02-2007, 08:12 PM
pfft dont be such a skirt jarrod :P lol nothing wrong with a bit of headshake... just power out of it :P

one way would be to lower the rear the same amount, but you go reducing your ground clearence on the lean with that option. also a worn rear shock can make a bike more prone to headshake, bump up the compression on the rear shock a tad if ya can.

cheers.joe.

ozkat
04-02-2007, 08:49 PM
Is it just me or what Jarrod explaind the wrong way around? If you slide your forks down through the triples to get more clearance for the bars you are actually raising the front which should NOT make it more twitchy.

Tony Nitrous
04-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Yeah, if you've pushed the forks down / Raised the yolks,
you should have raised the front ?
Made the steering slower ?
and made the bike more stable ?
.... I think.... ?

crazymofo
04-02-2007, 09:01 PM
yeah i thought that too, but since he specified lowering the bike, i went with that lol.

cheers.joe.

WATEVR
04-02-2007, 09:38 PM
oz and TN are right if you want to quicken your steering up again you have to raise your rear ride height.

evad
04-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Yeah, I believe it will slow the streeing down, making the bike not want to drop intp turns. Feels crap. I had that when I lengthened the 650s forks to make up for the difference in dia between the 17" to 19", I droppede the front end bu 10mm and it made a big difference so I can imagine how 25mm will feel :(
If you can raise the rear it should help

Tony Nitrous
04-02-2007, 10:10 PM
I know raising the rear will set the fork angle
back steeper, and give even more ground clearance,
but aren't there issue's with raising the whole bike's
centre of gravity ? or not ?

Alternatively... different bars,
different raisers, or is it possible to cut the pre-loaders down ?

You could get shorter forks !!!
although its probabley possible to modifiy the internals ;)

...... or i could drink less when im posting......

jakam04
04-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Sorry guys... I havent explained myself very well..

I was riding around a roundabout and I had a slight moment of clarity when the front end almost slid out from in front of me (there were no marks or problems with that actual part of the road). My thoughts were that maybe the adjustments I was forced to make to the front fork position had infact caused problems.

Jarrod

loosebruce
04-02-2007, 11:11 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/768619263151902.jpg

Just let the front tyre down an inch.
If that doesn't appeal, might need some dog bones to lift up the rear.
There is a fair bit of adjustment in the preload, but I don't know if you can compensate that much.

shift1313
05-02-2007, 12:24 AM
http://www.streetfightersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2371

i wrote that on another board going over frame geometry and how certain things affect handling, ie center of gravity, rake angle, weight etc. Ive lowered my front end over 2" and raised my rear a good bit changing my rake from around 26 down to 22.9 so ive done all the research and calculations that go along with this stuff.

jarrod, what kind of bike are we talking about here? And from what your saying youve actually lifted the front of the bike an inch? You might be able to fix things by just adjusting the preload a bit on your rear shock. Compression and rebound dampening wont do it for you because the geometry is what your saying has changed. If you adjust your suspension characteristics you will make things worse(unless they arent setup properly now) Theoretically what you have done is increased your rake angle and made your bike handle slower but become more stable at speed. How far were you leaned over when you felt the tire starting to go and how fast? I would suspect a few things before i say the increase in fork length did it for you. Cold tires or cold road(dont know what its like over there). Speed around change to countersteering. This can cause some problems when you have bars because of the amount of leverage you have over the front wheel. Last would be the bars themselves. all speculation ofcourse. I have no idea the bike, condition or your riding ability.