PDA

View Full Version : Putting a bike on a ute

JackTar
03-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Thinking about buying the Z1000 off of Foxy and have considered driving my ute down to Melbourne to pick the bike up, any help would be appreciated as I have not loaded a bike onto a ute before, was thinking about just getting a couple of planks and using them will they do? Will they slip off with the bike on them?

Cheers guys.

suxukifreak
03-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Mate, put the bike in first and close your eyes. [B)] ;)

Large
03-02-2007, 05:47 PM
You could fly down for $100 and ride it back :)

JackTar
03-02-2007, 05:57 PM
I know I could Large but it has a sticky back tyre and I don't want to waste it on 1000 kays of staright road plus I have a fuel card for my ute because I salary sacrifice.

Tone
03-02-2007, 07:01 PM
If you don't wanna or can't ride it up,use two planks.One for you to walk up.Just don't miss a step off the side.
What sort of ute is it?

Booster
03-02-2007, 07:31 PM
I ute mine regulary to the drags or trackdays and just ride up the ramp ,( i have been doing this for 27 yrs starting with trailies)
make sure your ramp locates in some way on the tailboard , and the tailboard will support the weight, eg replacement tailgates for xf utes are not suitable..

RUSS M8
03-02-2007, 07:35 PM
I use a 3m folding alloy whipps ramp to load my race bike on/off my HiLux. It was a $300 ramp but worth every cent. I just drilled a hole in the tray and put a bolt through the ramp/tray so it can't slip. I walk beside the bike, if I have help just pushing, if solo I start the bike and slip the clutch up.
I would try to borrow a noice ramp off a nice friendly VIC member...?

JackTar
03-02-2007, 08:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tone

If you don't wanna or can't ride it up,use two planks.One for you to walk up.Just don't miss a step off the side.
What sort of ute is it?

Falcon BA II.

I am confident the tail will hold it I am just worried about the whole slipping plank scenario.

chopaweeza
03-02-2007, 08:37 PM
I move bikes on my tray top ute all the time. I use a sturdy plank that I bolted an L shaped bit of steel over lapping one end so that it hooks over the tail of the ute. I also reverse at 90 degrees to the guttering to effectively lower the ute down 10 inches or so to get the bikes on easier. I just use good quality tie downs. Never lost a bike but the boat did slip off a while ago . Also, make sure the forks are compressed down as low as you can make them as well and you'll find that if your tie downs are decent quality you only need a rope to stop the arse end moving about as it stays as solid as a rock.

JackTar
03-02-2007, 08:45 PM
What if the only tie down points I have are at the sides of the ute there are none on the actual bottom of the tray should that be a problem?

chopaweeza
04-02-2007, 06:49 AM
I know a bloke at work that uses an XR6 weldback to take his KTM out bush every couple of weeks. He uses a clean piece of doubled over carpet underlay that he uses to protect the paintwork were the hook/strap goes over the edge. But, he also hand washes the foam after every use so no dust is on it next time he uses it to act as an abrasive. Seems to work well because his ute still looks Schmick.