PDA

View Full Version : Any CAD / CADCAM users ?

HOS
21-05-2010, 07:29 AM
Anyone use CAD ?

I`ve been an AutoCAD user since the mid 90s, but never learned CADCAM. I`ve gone from early R11 AutoCAD through to 2005 full version and used LT and Desktop as well.
But kin ell !! Its spensive !! [xx(]
Latest full version will set ya back at least £3500 for one user ffs.

Bought "TurboCAD 15 Delux" last week off Eblag so I`ll let ya know if its any good.

CAD is useful for designing and drawing up bike components with spot on accuracy ;)

Tony OW31
21-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Yeah, I use it to earn a living, the cam in cadcam refers to computer aided machining, which is about as much use to most people as tits on a bull.
The cad (computer aided design) is what most on here would find useful, but with a caveat. It is all very well being able to produce nice looking representations of what you want, but without proper dimensioning and tolerances it may as well be a pencil drawing on the back of a fag packet.

pappas
21-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Yeah I use CAD. Work supplies the program so luckily I don't have to pay for it. We got the 08 version last year which was no better than the 06, but I recently had a go of the 2010 version! Now that's worth having a look at. You can download a trial version here:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=13779351

Hagarr
21-05-2010, 10:56 AM
We use it heaps for the fabrication arm of my business and couldn't work without it.

Expensive? Can be.

We had been running 2004 for ages but now have 2009 cost me about $5

If you wish to know how e-mail me.

Autodesk are pretty snarly with unlicensed users so don't wish to discuss any further on forum.

fimpBIKES
21-05-2010, 12:10 PM
sweet jesus! are people still using 2d software [XX(]

Hagarr
21-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Yep too dumb for 3D!

HOS
21-05-2010, 07:02 PM
With you on the 2D fimpBIKES ! ! ! Hahahaa !!

Mate, some people still are`nt using paperspace/modelspace on 2D stuff. [V][xx(]

HOS
21-05-2010, 07:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by Hagarr

We use it heaps for the fabrication arm of my business and couldn't work without it.

Expensive? Can be.

We had been running 2004 for ages but now have 2009 cost me about $5

If you wish to know how e-mail me.

Autodesk are pretty snarly with unlicensed users so don't wish to discuss any further on forum.

Autodesk have the market pretty much stitched up. Thats why they can charge wtf they like......and they do protect their position too.

Thanks mate, I`ve seen the full AutoCAD 2010 version on Eblag for £60 ! Tempted although I know its not legit.

Thats why I am trying TurboCAD at £40 for a legal version. Its compatible with .dwg files and a few other CAD formats too.
The latest TurboCAD only costs like £70.. ??

HOS
21-05-2010, 07:16 PM
I learned Microstation on the job when I was feelancing and its about the same as AutoCAD, same features and same tools, just different commands and item names.

I used ArchiCAD once and its shite :D

AutoCAD Desktop was cool although it was £30k when it 1st came out.
With Desktop you draw a complete 3D building model in 3D drafting mode and the software generates all the 2D drawings and materials schedule !! Can be linked in with local building regulations and standards, fire regs, planning laws etc.

Fuckin glad it never took off, because anyone without any prior training could in theory design any building or any size of building !

Hagarr
21-05-2010, 10:00 PM
I struggled for ages trying to get my head around cad until i took a five week beginners course, wow what an eye opener, once you start to learn its awesome then you get to a point like myself now and I'm looking at having to learn the 3D.

I've heard that HOS, as you say if you draw the 3D version it generates the 2D views and you can dimension etc on items you have not even drawn but are developed through the 3D version, awesome stuff.

Would have to be one of the most enjoyable things I have learnt in my 30+ years as a tradesman, mind you I used to love Tech Drawing so maybe that makes me a bit weird Huh!

Maybe we should look at passing some Blocks around, anyone got anything for bikes, most of my stuff is boring engineering stuff!

I made my Harris engine plates from CAd and worked a treat so if anyone out there has a Magnum chassis and wishes to fit a GSXR oil cooled engine I can send them the detail.

just a thought!

HOS
22-05-2010, 05:50 AM
As a kid I started on the drawing board, before parallel motion boards were around. We had pencils, rubbers, scale rules and Rotring ink pens.
Some of the people in the professions were artists more than draftsmen.

I was a project manager at AMEC on big stuff for 3 years up until 1991 and then got hammered in that recession. Tough times and my daughter was only 3 years old then. Sold my soul to keep the family together.

So by mid 90s I borrowed some money for a couple of C&G courses to retrain in CAD and by 1998 was back ontop of the industry again.

CAD took away 75% of the draftsmen work in industry.
One good CAD guy can do the job of 4 drafties.
CAD is so fast and easy ! I teach it. Taught a few ppl from rank novice to become a proficient CAD user.
Once your converted, you never go back ;)[8D]

Surt
22-05-2010, 06:10 AM
who the fuck is Any Cad Hos? and who the fuck r her users?? [:p]