PDA

View Full Version : Scam or not?

Tony OW31
18-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Just put my boat up for sale today, within 1hr of the ad going online I get an email saying this
"Just viewed your listing is it still up for sale? if yes what is the condition and your firm price?"

I replied telling him it was still for sale, and I get a reply back almost immedietley saying this,

??Hi mate,thanks for mailing back,am ok with the condition and the price,am buying it for my vacation,cos i'll coming soon from our rig as am a petroleum engineer and am on a rig offshore,i won't be able to come for the inspection due to my work basis.i will be paying you through PayPal,pls get back to me with your PayPal details so i can proceed with payment and contact the courier agent that will come to pick it up and deliver to location in Perth,Western Australia.
Await your reply.....

Bear in mind that it is not an insignificant sum of money involved, and he doesn't want an inspection [:0]

I just replied and told him I don't do paypal

Wonder how many they actually get?

BANDITROD
18-05-2010, 08:32 PM
paypal is a pretty safe way of doing it tony and if he doesnt want to inspect it before buying thats his prob

mozza
18-05-2010, 08:41 PM
I've had this one before, it is a scam. When I googled the guys name it cam up on a few sites as a known scam. The story I got was that he was on a fishing boat. What normally happens next is that he needs a deposit for the courier as he's still at sea and he's happy to pay you back in the final paypal payment - paymnet never comes and you loose your $250 deposit for the courier

Tony OW31
18-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Lol, just got this from boatpoint admin

Please be aware that there is a phishing scam running currently with
> some buyers only operating through their Pay Pal account. If the buyer
> advises that they do not have internet banking and have a pick up
> agent that requires a payment from you, then this is not a legitimate enquiry.
>

gixkat
18-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Yep it's a scam, as mozza said the sting comes once you agree to the sale, I had three or four of them when i was selling the missus's merc, some even willing to pay over the listed price, which got my suspicion meter ticking over, cunts they are!

Elapid
18-05-2010, 09:14 PM
That is a scam. Same speal from the cunt when I was selling the capri on ebay.

davio
18-05-2010, 09:20 PM
yer and oldskool just had the same one too ,steer clear of him mate

RevHead
18-05-2010, 09:46 PM
its a scam i was selling a 308 hz ute a while back and got a smilimar story nice ute ,i,ll pay you more ,cept im at sea ,,tell em to fuck off

Large
18-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Ask them to send you a pic with "I suck boys cocks" etc to prove they're serious

wackyrider
18-05-2010, 11:54 PM
A mate of mine had a similar one. They said they would pay him via paypal and sent him a fake 'Paypal' confirmation email. You could spot it as a fake a mile away

mozza
19-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Funny story, my mate has just recieved the same email for his bike listing. The guy asked him to confirm the price so we told him that the price was firm and that he wanted $736,000.00, an email came back straight away saying that he was very happy with the condition and final price and that he wanted to arrange a courier and payment !!!!!!!

Yeee Ha, we're rich !!