PDA

View Full Version : My new tightarse "Sports Naked" project

TurboKat
17-05-2010, 02:11 PM
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1274078910.gif

Bought this last week (thanks to 80s freak for putting me onto it) for a song & after much deliberation & a few beers I've decided to modify it into a 'Sports Naked' bike. It didn't come with the side fairings & the top was a bit too sketchy to repair so that - along with the fact that the standard headlight, fairing, ram air ducts, gauges & all associated mounting brackets weighed a fucking ton - made the decision to go STREETFIGHTER an easy one.
I'm not going silly on this, the Doris (Helen) will get it as her proper own bike instead of the Gixer which was only a stop gap until a more suitable unit came along (plus, I want the 1127 back for my GS 1000 or my GSX 1100 or my Katana or...
I have been/will be repairing/replacing the damaged bits & doing a very basic naked conversion, the bike will keep the standard tail for practicality so the boot, helmet locks, tiedown points, toolkit, etc can still be used, a Ventura rack isn't out of the question either... I might want to go touring [:o)] Staying with the 2 seater affair even though I'm not a pillion carrier (somebody might break down, fall off, etc & need a lift one day) Keeping the ignition switch as is where is too (for the steering lock)
So seeing as it will be too lightly modified to be considered a STREETFIGHTER, I think the term Sports Naked will suit it (well, a ZX7R is a proper sportsbike after all & without the plastic, it's naked... see ?)
Mods will be -
Drilled top clamp with KLX 650 risers & MX 'bars (Renthal of course)
The aftermarket Moto Detail gauges off my 'Fighter.
An aftermarket undertail with built in L.E.D. indicators (providing I can trim & keep the standard internal plastic setup.)
Dunno what headlight I'll use, got a few in the workshop to choose from (can't be twin spots because Kato will probly kick me in the nuts if it looks too much like her bike)
Slip on Micron carbon fibre shorty can.
Re locate the coolant reservoir somewhere it can't be seen.
Maybe a single seat cowl if I can find one.
It'll have some sort of non standard paint job too but it will be based around the classic Kawasaki lime green.
That'll probly do it.
Watch this space <s>'Fighter</s> Sports Naked fans ;)

VFighteR
17-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Hmmmm....sports naked eh??? I like that concept [:P]

good luck with it

80s freak
17-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Is it done yet? And don't fuckin' Barry it ya homo!

rod185651
17-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Can't wait to see what you do with this one mate.
Sports Naked I like it.
Maybe I can call mine a sports naked also now that I have put clip ons back on it?

Deano
17-05-2010, 10:32 PM
maybe it could be a "sports fighter";)

TurboKat
18-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Put a few hours in on it today, raped the STREETFIGHTER & the Racebike for a few bits [:0]
Got it running, sounds sweet even with 2006 model fuel in it.
Will be rideable by the weekend [:p]
I forgot to mention that it's a 1 owner bike with only 33,xxx KMs on it & full dealer service history - bonus. :)
No Davo, I wouldn't give them the steam off my shit let alone any of my not-very-hard-earned money.
Deano - I will be speaking to you shortly about a small crack in the subframe mount, I hear you're alright with the 'blue glue'
Don't get you hopes up Rod, it'll be a very mild unit, I've already taken the full Muzzy race system off it & replaced it with a stocker I had lying around.
Before you think I've lost my mind, the Muzzy is already on the STREETFIGHTER [^]
Thanks to Oldskool for helping me straighten the subframe on the weekend, it wasn't pretty, but then again, neither is he. [:X]

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1274247540.jpg

Gitzy
18-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Nice work TK, I rode me one of them a while back, quite enjoyed it.. found another one for some inspiration for you..

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1274207132.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1274190108.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1274242830.jpg

TurboKat
18-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Thanx Gitzy,
It doesn't look like the ZX7 is a very popular basis for a 'Fighter eh?
Dunno why people leave the standard coolant bottle on the sides (the ones in the other thread) it looks butt ugly.

Gitzy
18-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Yeah I find that strange, I'd fighter one in a heart beat, nice frame, swinger, tank, forks etc... i think there a great basis and there a great bike, nice power and reliable, maybe a tad heavy but hey Gixer 11's aren't light weight.. and I agree with the coolant bottles, even the ol water bottle looks better..

Surt
18-05-2010, 11:05 PM
noice basis for fighterin mate! one thing i missed is 'homo' [:0] some story 'behind' that?

Gitzy ur picz rulez az alwayz [8D]

80s freak
19-05-2010, 11:14 AM
TK is a homo because he loves flip paint and mens bottoms.Also he likes man juice in or around his&gt;[:0]

TurboKat
19-05-2010, 12:58 PM
It's true [V]

Large
19-05-2010, 02:16 PM
That looks fucking sweet...any chance of a few more pics (of the factory setup) ploz?[:p]

KATO ZX7
19-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Gotta love a bloke that builds his doris a ZX7.

She'l love it far more than that infeior Gixer she had (wait for it......) love you jo........

Gsxar
19-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Ohhh ya a good boy Daz ;) Admit it though you hated the fact she loved Gix's lol - Thats it I get her Suzuki jacket now ;)

rod185651
19-05-2010, 05:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by KATO ZX7

Gotta love a bloke that builds his doris a ZX7.

She'l love it far more than that infeior Gixer she had (wait for it......) love you jo........

She won't have the problem of seeing a bike exactly like hers at the shops either.

TurboKat
20-05-2010, 11:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by rod185651

She won't have the problem of seeing a bike exactly like hers at the shops either.

Hahahaha, spot on Rod. :D

TurboKat
20-05-2010, 12:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gsxar

Ohhh ya a good boy Daz ;) Admit it though you hated the fact she loved Gix's lol - Thats it I get her Suzuki jacket now ;)

She didn't love the Gix Jojo, she tolerated it.
She's a good girl, she'll love what I tell her to love. ;)
Yes, there is now a free Suzuki jacket & cap going...

sharky
20-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Oi ...check ya phone nobby

Gsxar
21-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Got a laugh from this :D She's a good girl, she'll love what I tell her to love [:0]

Its okay afterall there was that uncool revin thing happening

TurboKat
21-05-2010, 11:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by Gsxar

Its okay afterall there was that uncool revin thing happening

Yeah, beginners mistake [:I]
She's had extensive therapy & councelling since then (I told her - do that again & I'll fucken slap you)
Sharky, my phone is not connected ATM - PM me.