PDA

View Full Version : Two things

WarHound
14-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Hey

As a total novice at this I been asking a lot of advise but you guys are a great source of knowledge and have helped me heaps in the past so here it is 8) ...

1, FORKS. I have changed the front forks on the bike with TL1000R forks.. They have come up a little short on the top tree and I want to slip them up .. We loosened the pinch bolts on the tree and took them out of the lower one (just below the frame). Try as we might we weren't able to move the fork bars up to line the top of them with the top tree. We used RP7 and Tried "opening" the clamp after removing the bolts but got nowhere. If anyone can tell us what to try next that would be cool.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1273853772.jpg

2. The other day when it pissed down here in Brisbane the bike suddenly lost power .. sounded like dropping a cylinder as it farted along .. (it has happened once before). Since then every time I have ridden it, it has done the same thing without the rain. Stalled a couple of times even. The bike feels to me like it is lacking some power it used to have. I have been told it could be electrical or it could be water in my carbs as I am running pods. It seems to loose power after I back off the throttle and then bring the power back. Up until now its been fine in the dry and light rain hasnt bothered it. Now it seems to be all the time.. Also I have noticed it is worse when I have ridden the bike and parked it .. then got going again within say an hour. The problem is often short lived but the bike still feels like its lost some grunt in normal operation too.

14-05-2010, 09:23 PM
is the battery charging above 13.2 volts

Hillsy
14-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Are your forks straight? Triple clamps might be tweaked?

As for the shit running, maybe you got water in your carbs (drain the bowls) or some water on your plug leads which might have fouled / stuffed up a spark plug (change your plugs).

Although I'd check what davo said first (cause that's an easy check).

Mishdog20
14-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Sounds like a charging issue...

14-05-2010, 11:59 PM
measure the fork diameters with verniers at upper and lower clamps,they flare from 50-55mm i think and TL's have a shorter steering head stock than your bike maybe?

WarHound
15-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks for that
It would seem that the forks are just really tight, Was talking to the dude I got them from and he said they were a pain in the ass to shift when he adjusted them so I guess I will open the clamps, lube it up and get a block of wood and a hammer 8)

I will check the electrics and carbs too .. 8)

Cheers

ALBI
15-05-2010, 08:51 PM
mate when i put the top clamp on my tl it just came of nice with a dead blow hammer!! and new clamp went on schmick ,did you loosen the head stock nut as well so it all moves freely? and is the top clamp painted on the inside of clamp ?? if so the inner dia will b a cunt hair out !!

WarHound
16-05-2010, 07:31 AM
Yeah the top clamp is fine its the lower one we need to move down about 1/2 an inch so the top fits down snug. In the pic the top is down onto the frame nicely .. As for the bike dropping power .. it seems to only happen in the rain and when low on fuel I have figured so I am guessing it prob is the carbs
Cheers