PDA

View Full Version : Vic Cops hiding in bushes to get riders

Gsxar
14-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Front page of the local paper last night, what bullshit!
Isn't the whole idea meant to be a -SEEN police presence to deter crime/speeding..................But yet there putting on camo gear & hiding in bushes to catch riders. In a area where there is a lack of police, their big operation to help the public and save lives is to play dress up's in the bushes, not happy!
If I see them I'm gonna ring the cop shop and report a terrorist in the bushes :D

http://www.latrobevalleyexpress.com.au/news/local/news/news-features/covert-police-target-speeding-riders/1829167.aspx

Covert police target speeding riders
BY CATHERINE SWEENEY
13 May, 2010 11:41 AM
ARMED with radars and nestled low among clusters of bushes, traffic police dressed in camouflage gear are cracking down on rogue motorcyclists travelling at dangerously high speeds across the Latrobe Valley.

As part of a covert operation, Latrobe Traffic Management Unit police position themselves, and a radar, in bushland along roads notorious for speeding motorcyclists.

Once an offence is detected, the camouflaged members radio a police unit stationed further down the road to intercept the offender.

Officer in charge Sergeant Clint Wilson said 24 per cent of serious injury collisions in the area involved motorcyclists and enforcement methods using marked cars had not been as successful as hoped.

``It's (the operation) labour intensive but it's a serious problem that we need to address, we've gone to this length to ensure that we can make our roads safer,'' Sgt Wilson said.

``Riders know where they can ride and get away with speeding.

``In this particular case, the motorcyclists are riding in areas surrounded by bushland and on bends and in locations that are dangerous to ride, and for us to blend in to the environment there, we need to be in a camouflage uniform so as not to stand out.''

The operation is based on a successful one conducted in the Yarra Ranges, where members contend with winding, narrow roads that prove difficult to police.

``We want the message to get across, particularly to riders that come out on weekends... we encourage them to ride in the Gippsland area, there's a lot to offer for weekend rides but, if you do it, stick within the law so that you remain safe,'' he said.

The operation targets motorcycles but will also nab vehicles for the same offences.

The unit is calling on the public to report areas frequented by speeding riders.

To report trouble spots, phone the unit on 51315055 or email morwell-uni-docsrv@police.vic.gov .au

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1273819705.jpg

Latrobe Valley traffic police are donning military style camouflage gear to detect speeding motorcyclists in a new covert operation
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1273836042.jpg
[?]

bluemk1
14-05-2010, 12:16 PM
has anyone sent off emails to report some bad arse bikers yet?
the more you send off to fictional speeding areas the less likely they will be on more populated roads

yoda
14-05-2010, 12:21 PM
they did this a while ago up around the spur..
meanwhile, old ladies are getting mugged and real criminals keep on stealing/raping etc etc.
Wankers.

Macca2010
14-05-2010, 02:37 PM
Ferking amazing what next tire shredding spikes across the roads just in case some poor bastard is doing 10ks over the limit

These storm troppers never stop amazing me with there games to suck more dollars from us.[}:)]

God
14-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Same story down the Great Ocean Road last weekend.

With the number of people gettin killed on bikes this year way up (almost double YTD), it's only going to get worse.

There was a meeting for next summers initiatives in the yarra valley for next summer last month. From the stories of those at the meeting, basic plan to make the valley safe is to do everything possible to ensure bike riders don't go there.

hotmilk
14-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Shit like this is why i've just bought a track bike...
mate got done up the spur by these pricks on w/e.
he got stuck in between two dickheads in ss utes trying to sandwich him so he overtook in a straight section and front bloke sped up so he couldnt get in.
Any way he gets pulled up later on down the road ýeah you were doing 130 in an 80. long story short he said no i wasnt, but i did overtake someone but i dont think i was doing that speed. radioed to radar bloke and basically said yep when you were overtaking, stiff shit heres your 600 bucks odd in fines and a 12 month suspension and we'll take your bike for 48hrs, thank you come again.
Mate said i wanna see the radar and the copper goes nah you cant he's in the bush. Dont they legally have to show you if you ask to see it??

Large
14-05-2010, 09:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by hotmilk

Shit like this is why i've just bought a track bike...
mate got done up the spur by these pricks on w/e.
he got stuck in between two dickheads in ss utes trying to sandwich him so he overtook in a straight section and front bloke sped up so he couldnt get in.
Any way he gets pulled up later on down the road ýeah you were doing 130 in an 80. long story short he said no i wasnt, but i did overtake someone but i dont think i was doing that speed. radioed to radar bloke and basically said yep when you were overtaking, stiff shit heres your 600 bucks odd in fines and a 12 month suspension and we'll take your bike for 48hrs, thank you come again.
Mate said i wanna see the radar and the copper goes nah you cant he's in the bush. Dont they legally have to show you if you ask to see it??

yeah but they may bluff you until you get a fucking lawyer to ask for the evidence[:p]

StuNVA
14-05-2010, 09:57 PM
I think there is a law or something that allows you to speed in a manner not dangerous in order to over take safely too. I know a bloke who beat a fine in court on that one.

Hillsy
14-05-2010, 10:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by StuNVA

I think there is a law or something that allows you to speed in a manner not dangerous in order to over take safely too. I know a bloke who beat a fine in court on that one.

Yeah but 130 in an 80 zone might be a bit hard to argue [:0]

USH
14-05-2010, 10:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by God

With the number of people gettin killed on bikes this year way up (almost double YTD), it's only going to get worse.

Probably due to the fuel prices, and inexperienced riders getting 'cheaper transport', sales of bikes have been really good the last 2 years despite the financial crisis...
Its sad really.... The inexperienced (people that probably shouldn't be riding) getting out there, having accidents, sending up insurance premiums and making riding who do it for the love suffer....

OLD SKOOL BANDIT
15-05-2010, 04:56 PM
I got pinged on the spur about 2 years ago now alledgedly doing 147 in what was then 100 zone. I asked to see the radar and was refused as the cop was hiding in the bush. I then asked the cop if the radar had to have a clear shot, ie no obstructions and reflective surfaces like branches, leaves and road signs. I was told to fuck off in no uncertain terms so I told the cop I would see him in court. 1 year later i got a letter from Vic police saying they wouldn't be persueing the case however i would get 6 demerit point on my ticket. Got off without the 3 month ban and $600 fine. I wasn't going the speed they said but I too had crept slightly over due to overtaking a slow mover on one of the few straight bits on the spur. I maybe squirted past at 120km then let the speed wash off naturally. 147 my arse !

alfiestorm
17-05-2010, 05:21 AM
In Australia no matter what state you are in :D have the right to see the evidence you also have thr right to have a copy of the paper work for the device used indicating its proper use and last date of calibration.

I fought the oz law and won back in 2007 on a alledged speeding offence.
all they wanted from me was a victim of crime levy $80aud I think it was. no demerit points or speeding fine.

There is a thread or topic I done on my speeding case on here somewhere.
could hold some usefull info for some of you willing to take on the trffic cops as I did.

alf

God
17-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Here's some video from the Great Ocean Rd two weekends ago.

The behaviour of police hiding in the bushes is absolutely disgusting. Professional? Professional thugs n thieves!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G54Bus6bBhk

kevkatana
17-05-2010, 09:54 PM
And now the Yarra Rangers coppers are booking poeple for not locking their cars! $300ish fine. Fuck, did I yell at the T.V. when I saw it on the news tonight.

http://lilydale-yarra-valley-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/fine-solution-to-thefts/

BANDITROD
17-05-2010, 10:07 PM
they have been doing that up here for a couple of years now kev

kevkatana
17-05-2010, 10:14 PM
But a fine for over 300 beans. What a load. Ok 40 bucks maybe but 300+ ?

BANDITROD
17-05-2010, 10:16 PM
yeah they go ya for $100 up here fucking cunts

fimpBIKES
17-05-2010, 11:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by God

Here's some video from the Great Ocean Rd two weekends ago.

The behaviour of police hiding in the bushes is absolutely disgusting. Professional? Professional thugs n thieves!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G54Bus6bBhk

that IS APPALLING
they arent even taking the time to read numberplates or give decent descriptions
ffs they are even LAUGHING at how clever they are

the good news is that they are too slow/stupid to read your numberplates
so if you happen to see them, you know the car is a bit up the road
so do a u-turn and get the fuck out of there :D

336LJ
18-05-2010, 02:35 AM
quote:Originally posted by alfiestorm

In Australia no matter what state you are in :D have the right to see the evidence you also have thr right to have a copy of the paper work for the device used indicating its proper use and last date of calibration.

I fought the oz law and won back in 2007 on a alledged speeding offence.
all they wanted from me was a victim of crime levy $80aud I think it was. no demerit points or speeding fine.

There is a thread or topic I done on my speeding case on here somewhere.
could hold some usefull info for some of you willing to take on the trffic cops as I did.

alf

Speed cameras don't even have the lawful credentials (i.E NSC number) and don't conform to the National Measurement act, cause they are all built overseas. (I think its the same with the hand held radars, not sure)
Also - the way in which the cops USE the devices can raise enough doubt on their accuracy to have most cases dismissed (must estimate you are speeding, then record the speed,aka tracking history - not possible hiding over a crest or around a corner)

AND, there are SO many factors that can contribute to an incorrect reading (in cameras), even the interference from hi voltage powerlines, or the alternator of the camera vehicle, etc.
You can put so much doubt on the accuracy of the cameras in court most times it will be thrown out.

When you have access to the actual user and training manuals for these devices you wonder why the cops can even get away with it - Then realise.. its cause people just don't fucking do their research and question this shit.

Oh and more specifically - hand held radars can produce bullshit readings - google/youtube "radar slip"

I ended up in quite a hostile confrontation with 2 cops when I asked: "where is the evidence of MY car doing that speed indicated on your radar"
"it doesnt take a picture of your car"
" I know that, I want to know how you can claim I was doing that speed, when you have no proof of it, you could have just caught one person speeding and not wiped the screen, how can you stand there and tell me you are acting honestly about this"
"mate I'm a cop, I'm honest"
Me: LOL.

Cue cops insulting me, then making all sorts of threats, when I made them explain, and reference every law they were threatening me with (failing to provide drivers licence, failing to provide breath test, failing to state name and address, like wtf you can't read? I know you are recording me, obstructing police.. etc)

Zooks
18-05-2010, 09:04 AM

.........Mate said i wanna see the radar and the copper goes nah you cant he's in the bush. Dont they legally have to show you if you ask to see it??

Yep. I'd be seeing a lawyer about that one. The conviction can be overturned in court if the cops didn't follow correct (legal) procedure. A lot of times they won't even go to court if the lawyer is any good. They're not so keen if they won't get a conviction.

OLD SKOOL BANDIT
18-05-2010, 11:47 AM
quote:Originally posted by Zooks

.........Mate said i wanna see the radar and the copper goes nah you cant he's in the bush. Dont they legally have to show you if you ask to see it??

Yep. I'd be seeing a lawyer about that one. The conviction can be overturned in court if the cops didn't follow correct (legal) procedure. A lot of times they won't even go to court if the lawyer is any good. They're not so keen if they won't get a conviction.

Pretty much what happened to me. You can avoid the ban and the fine but still get stiffed with the points. How does that bit work ?